“It's a very basic camp” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ahmed Safari Camp & Hotel

Ahmed Safari Camp & Hotel
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Bawiti
Cairo, Egypt
“It's a very basic camp”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

I stayed there twice, it's a very basic camp, cheap, food is not bad and service is fine.

The safari and desert team are the best in Bawiti, they know nothing but desert. They have all the gears needed, tents, sleeping bags, wood for camping fire, etc...

I would recomend it if you will be having a short stay in the camp and a long stay in the white desert :)

Enjoy :)

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Mussoorie, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Our experience here was limited, as they facilitated a trip to the White Desert for us. We did have the opportunity to view rooms due to a friendship with other safari-goers, as well as access their shared(?) WC and a lunch provided. We were... less than impressed by what was on offer: flies infested the restaurant area more than anywhere else we had visited (the food was passable), the WC/shower area was only cursorily cleaned, and the rooms were not very impressive: dark and small. The service was also markedly lacking.

Our tour, on the other hand, was amazing: the guide did an absolutely amazing job with cooking dinner, setting up camp, and showing us some of the Desert's features. He knew exactly what he was doing, and despite some phenomenally poor treatment by another safarigoer, kept going on and doing an amazing job. We never felt in doubt or in question with the guide; he was the most supportive and helpful out of all the staff we encountered in association with the hotel/camp.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

This place will likely ruin your trip to the White Desert and the Bahariya Oasis. Let me go through what's wrong:

Room: Dark, very cold, 'rustic' in the sense that the interior is the same as the exterior - brick and stone. There are no seats, furnishing is a small 20" table... you won't spend much time here because you won't feel comfortable. I've been in more welcoming Hostels.

Washroom: You'll be lucky if the faucets work. The shower head in mine was outright broken, spraying water from every possible gap and even the hose. It's like they didn't bother using o-rings! There is so little hot water that we didn't even turn on the cold in order to take a shower. Fortunately the toilet works fine, though water constantly runs through it so it's like having a tiny stream in your washroom. The sink is squeezed beneath a staircase without any lighting nearby. Oh, and good luck closing the door to the bathroom. Both the door and frame were warped by water damage. And I think we got a 'good' room, because the washroom was en-suite instead of shared!

Restaurant: The guy that mentioned this place is swimming in flies is not joking. There's around 200+ in a hall that sits about the 50 people. I swear each chair has like 8 floating around it. They turn off the lights constantly so that you're eating in the dark. That's if you're lucky enough to be eating. The staff will generally ignore your existence. You can chase them down and if you're lucky, get something to drink with your cold meal. They will be busy making tea for themselves and then chat around a table just outside, making it quite obvious that they aren't working and don't care for you.

Service: Good luck finding the reception. Or someone on staff. Seriously if your guide doesn't get everything ready for you, you will never find someone to even ask. This place is a ghost town at night. And if you do find someone, they might just ignore you and go back to conversing with their friends!

Location: About 2 km outside of Bawiti. You're isolated and there is nothing to do nearby. Streets are not lit at night, so better get back before sunset. Oh, and there are no taxis hovering near here.

So to summarize, it might be cheap, but stay far, far away from this 'hotel'. I'd stay outside under the stars before staying here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Bawiti hotels

Makati, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

My overnight camping experience at White Desert with Ahmed Safari was arranged by my overall Egypt tour operator, Habibi Tours. The moment Megahed of Ahmed Safari picked me up from the bus station at Bahariya Oasis, I felt like I was in good hands right away. Before heading to the White Desert, I was brought first to the hotel to freshen up and eat lunch (part of the tour package). Lunch was simple yet tasty: local bread, aubergines in a delicious tomato sauce, beans, etc. I wasn't really hungry because the 8-hour bus ride from Cairo to Bahariya Oasis tired me out and made my stomach all queasy, but I still managed to enjoy lunch.

There were hardly any visitors; in fact I had the dining hall all to myself. But the whole place looked decent and clean. Old and rustic, but still clean. Please check out my attached photos so you can see what the place looks like. I was able to use the common toilet near the kitchen and dining hall, and while it's not a first-rate toilet, it still had running water, electricity, a wash stand and a proper flush.

I didn't stay overnight at this hotel, and so I won't be able to verify or disagree with the negative reviews here in terms of the state of the rooms, but I can safely say that the reception and dining area were pretty clean and decent with no flies or mosquitoes. I mean, we're in a desert, after all; can't expect five-star or even three-star conditions here. I'm just grateful that the toilet was clean, that I got a simple but good lunch, and that I was able to stock up on water.

Megahed was my guide and companion during the overnight camping at White Desert. He was also my driver, my cook, and the one who set up our campsite. He looked a bit on the elderly side but was in good condition to lug around the camping stuff and do the setting up. I am most grateful to Megahed for making the White Desert the most magical part of my trip to Egypt. The Toyota Landcruiser we used was an old model but still in fantastic condition, and Megahed drove safely and surely as we negotiated the roads and the bumpy terrain heading to the White Desert.

Megahed set up the entire campsite, cooked a delicious dinner consisting of chicken with rice and vegetables stew, started a campfire, and made tea for us--all by himself. I mean, he was all over the place! We shared stories by the campfire as we sipped our tea (that tea was incredible by the way, and helped calm my stomach--which was still reeling from that bumpy 8-hour bus ride). We also set aside some leftover chicken for the desert foxes who, as Megahed promised, would come later in the night, sniffing for food.

Ahmed Safari provided blankets, mattress, thick wool rugs and covers (great for the chilly winter nights at the desert) plus a sleeping bag which I used as a pillow--since the mattress and the wool covers were comfortable enough for me. We camped out literally under the stars that night with no roof over our heads. Best sleep of my life.

The camping experience also comes with a simple breakfast--just really bread with cheese and jam, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I mean if you're camping out in the desert, you just want to be grateful for any basic comforts that come your way.

If you're getting Ahmed Safari, I'd recommend going with Megahed. I felt safe with him all throughout the trip, and he is definitely a desert camping pro. The only thing that slightly bothered me was that the guy back at the hotel charged me for 40 LEs for the White Desert entrance fee, but nowhere throughout the trip did I see any entrance fees being paid. I mean, there were checkpoints, but I didn't see any entrance fee booth. To be honest, it wasn't good that they charged me for 40 LE, but when I look back at the entire camping experience, there was nothing else that displeased me. Overall, Ahmed Safari did a fantastic job during my visit.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get charged for any entrance fees to the White Desert
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2012

They charged us 40EL for tickets and later we found out that the ticket is no more required since last summer. But we can not get the money back anyway. The owner increased the price of hotel after we came back from the safari......True, this is complete dump!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank nirvanange
Antananarivo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2012

Disregard the one-off reviews written recommending this place - it is terrible.

We were booked into this place by a tour company in Cairo for one night and in the desert for another. The sheets looked unchanged from the last unfortunate person who stayed there and the toilet didn't work nor had been cleaned recently, if ever. We complained to the manager, he said that our tour company in Cairo only paid for the bad rooms and not the 'good rooms' but he did eventually relent and allow us a room with a working toilet and what seemed like clean sheets.

The food was very average pepared by surly staff who seemed to think cleanliness was for other people. A problem that we encountered throughout Egypt - the cleaners seem to be young males more often that not and cleanliness is not their forte! Call me sexist but 18 year old young men would not be my first choice as cleaners. These fellows were even worse than usual.

Amazingly they were redoing the paving outside some of the rooms - why not fix the rooms first?

For the tour itself we had a decent guide who cooked some good food out in the desert but the 4WD broke down on the way back so we sat on the road for two hours waiting for another vehicle to bring a fan belt.

In summary, avoid this place, it is dirty, run down and the staff seem to find the few people who stay here a major hassle.

Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank lewaldo
Cairo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2012

A very good place to stay in. Very good food and service. Convenient rooms, the only problem you'd face, which is the case in any place near the desert, is flying insects such as mosquitos. However, all in all very enjoyable place and very helpful people. Very economic as well.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends