All reviews one night main building devil's nose train lovely grounds pool room catch the train noisy dogs overnight stay en route log fire nice bathroom bread hacienda ecuador outskirts volcano rugs
Reviewed March 14, 2010

Nice, big rooms, beautiful working fireplaces - in the room and everywhere else. Nice bar and restaurant. Amazing grounds, feels more like a resort. Taxi to Riobamba is only $2. The only thing that made me a little concern about it: I forgot my watch in the room on the night stand, two hours later, when we left the hotel and went to the Nariz de Diablo I found that I forgot my watch. I asked our tour guide to contact the hotel, she said yes, but did not do any attempts. We staid in this hotel only because it was included in our tour. Three days later, from home we have sent them an email asking about my watch, but we did not hear anything from them since.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tourist_from_Russia
Reviewed February 5, 2010

I can't imagine a better way to experience one of the most spectacular natural environments in South America and the world. Hotel Abraspungo is set on the edge of the city of Riobamba, close enough to town to experience the culture there, but also secluded enough to feel that you are in a true Mountain retreat. It's also a stones throw away from the train station where you can board the famous train ride through the mountains called the Nariz del Diablo. The hotel covers a large area consisting of a number of buildings, and many private cabins that are plenty spacious and decorated consistent with the traditional decor of the area. The hotel also has an adjoining bar and restaurant perfect for having a social drink before dinner. The food in the restaurant is great any meal of the day and they serve something everyone will like. Also try the fruit juices they are incredible! Outside walking around the grounds you can see the peaks of three of Ecuador's biggest mountains, a combination of these views and the landscape of the hotel makes for a truly peaceful and enjoyable experience.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank edarrow
Reviewed January 3, 2010

A reasonable place to have a stopover given that we arrived late and had to leave early.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2009

I am not sure why this is in the B&B section, since it is a hotel with more than 40 rooms and cabins dotted attractively around some very pleasant grounds, with plenty of greenery and foliage. This is a welcome respite from the city of Riobamba, which is dusty and gritty for much of the year. It´s only a short and inexpensive cab ride away from the centre, and also on the route to the craft village of Guano.
My room was large and comfortable, with a big picture window onto the courtyard. Others give onto the more open spaces of the grounds. True there is no heating installed in the rooms, but there are thick comfortable duvets on the beds and my bathroom looked as if it had been recently renovated.
Wood fires were lit at night in the restaurant and sitting areas. Food in the former was perfectly fine, not gourmet but hearty fare. Quite a good wine list., including an excellent Patagonian Malbec at the botttom end of the price range. I ordered a whole bottle and staff kept it for me for the second night. Excellent juices. Breakfast is included in the room rate and is continental buffet style.
There are some children´s swings etc in the grounds, but the indoor pool and fitness centre was empty and decidedly dusty during my visit.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank Londinense
Reviewed August 20, 2009

Me and my couple went to Hacienda Abraspungo for 2 nights, It was amazing! The food the service, the ambiance, the people on the Hotel where very nice, good quality in everything! I recommend this Hotel, and I will visit this place again for sure!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple