“Scaling the Andes with Julio Verne”
Review of Julio Verne Travel

Julio Verne Travel
Ranked #2 of 8 Tours in Riobamba
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a Dutch-Ecuadorian run travel company specialized in biking, trekking, climbing, Amazon jungle, Galapagos cruises and diving, tailor made round trips. We have professional guides, top quality equipment and more than 20 years experience organizing adventure trips in Ecuador. We speak English, Dutch, Spanish.
Reviewed January 14, 2014

One of my favorite memories was completing the Chimborazo climb with Julio Verne. They are incredibly thorough and provide some of the best equipment I've seen. They even offered me a free ride to Estrella to Chimborazo when i inquired about what bus to take. Unfortunately, the experience was slightly dampened by a less then patient guide. However, i acknowledge that the guides are not necessarily Julio Verne, and the company itself does provide opportunities to rate your guides afterwards to ensure everything went well.

This company was safe, friendly and above all else, did not skimp on the quality of service and equipment, which is crucial when you're above the clouds. If your guide happens to be impatient, just respectfully remind them that us land-dwelling-sea-urchins don't necessarily live in the same atmosphere as them and cannot be expected to function in the same manner as these mountain gazelles.

Much love,

Joey

3  Thank JoeyOtt

Reviewed November 7, 2013

We went on 2 trips with Julio Verne, both were very well organised, equipped and thrilling.

The bike ride down Chimborazao was amazing, 38km from 4,800m to 3,300m. You cycle through stunning scenery down the Volcano and through small villages towards San Juan.

We also went on the 2 day Vicuna trek around Chimborazao with Luis guiding us. Right from the pickup we were looked after aand wisked up the mountain. The first stage of the climb is steep and tiring but Luis only went at our pace and made us feel very relaxed at such a high altitude. They have arefuge on the side of the Volcano which could potentially sleep 20 with comfy beds and a huge sitting room. We were given a delicious Ecuadorian dinner cooked by Luis and Leonardo and listened to their stories in front of the fire.
An enourmous breakfast greeted us in the morning before everything was packed onto the horse and we set off for a stunning 5 hour hike in the shadow of the massive Chimborazo.
An experience we won´t forget.
Thank you to all the team.

Thank Stjohn and Clar... N
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Julio Verne are an excellent company to work with and I can whole-heartedly recommend them to any traveller.

I run my own tour company, Aspiring Adventures, in Peru, so I know what to look for in an agency. And when I was looking for a travel agency in Riobamba with reputable climbing guides (to help me on my quest to climb Chimborazo), Julio Verne stood out by far! Popkje in the office was on the ball with replying to all my questions before the climb. The hire gear was impeccable. Jaime my climbing guide has exactly the type of personality you want in a mountain guide at those sorts of altitudes - calm, caring, responsive, and safety conscious.

Thank you so much Julio Verne!

1  Thank Steve W
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We used Julio Verne to plan all of our travel in Ecuador last month. It is always hard to trust and feel comfortable with someone in a far off land to plan your vacation and spend your hard earned money. I was especially hesitant as I had never used a travel agent in the past. Popkje who was my point of contact replied to emails promptly, had lots of patience with my endless questions, gave me many options, broke down costs and did it all with a smile. Julio Verne uses only the best guides, hotels and tours. Truely a 5 star company. Special recommendation for Luis Reyes our excellent hiking guide and Posada Mirolindo which is an excellent option for airport transfers especially if heading directly to Otovalo or points north.

2  Thank Dave M
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Hi @all.

We have been with William from Julio Verne at the Chimborazo,
It really was a fantastic day.
We went up to 5.000 meters ar Chimborazo and went down by mountainbike.

Way up: He not only drove us up, he also told us about de vegetation, some political errors of agriculture in the past and also about his experiences when he was young.

Way to the top: We stopped the jeep at 4.800 m. The rest of the journey was a little walk up to 5.000. And when we came back to the refugee, William waited there with a fantastic meal, really nice prepared. Even a table-cloth was there.

Way down: He made fotos out of the jeep while we where "flying" down on our mountainbikes. We even drove faster than 75 km/h. At the end, he had some fruit for us. Then we went back to the city.

Thanks, William, for this nice day. I am sure you also orderes the fantastic weather so we could see the peak of Chimborazo.

Abrazo!