Hostal Oasis
$48
Casa 1881(Riobamba)
$50
  • Breakfast included
Apart Hotel Humboldt(Riobamba)(Great Value!)
$23
Hotel Shalom(Riobamba)
$47
Hotel El Altar(Riobamba)
$40
$36
$77
All reviewsstained glasshot waterrock wallsthe ownerdoors and windowsoff street parkinghome away from homenice hostalpretty gardenrooms are cleantrain stationwifi worksdouble roombed was comfortabletwo nightscatshostel
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Rooms are a little musty and the hot water was more in the luke warm range. However, the outside garden and the very kind family that runs the hostal, make this a nice place to stay in Riobamba. We stayed here twice, both while passing through town on the bus.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I *really* wanted to love this place. The family greeted me with a huge smile when I walked in with no reservation at 1pm. When you walk into the courtyard, it's a truly tranquil spot in the middle of a fairly large city. My room had stained glass door and window, with no curtains. Pretty, but lots of light from outside. A problem for some perhaps.

Positives:
Minimal street noise. Impressive for it's location.
Family jumps to assist, and they are genuinely friendly. They even walked me to my cab when I left.
Room overall could be considered nice for the price - except for what I note below.
Big, hot shower.
Refrigerator, stove, and cooking and eating utensils available for guests.
Wifi was fast. I wasn't charged the $1 even when I mentioned that I had used it.
Decent location. About 9 blocks from main action.
Bed was comfortable, room was clean.

Negatives:
Hostal seems popular with young smokers. I did not enjoy having several 20 somethings sitting directly outside my room talking and smoking until past 10pm.
My room - #3 - definitely smelled of smoke and mildew.
In the morning I awoke to the smell of raw sewage coming from the toilet.

Overall it's probably a decent value for the $15 price, but I have no other comparisons in Riobamba. The room smell was a turnoff for me though.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank kevin_from_AKandCO
Reviewed November 7, 2013

An inexpensive option in Riobamba but a great place to plan your adventures from.
The family that run Oasis are always on hand to help with anything you need. There is a small and fairly basic kitchen but great to prepare breakfast in with fresh fruit fom the Markets that dot the city.

There is Wifi throughout at a small charge, TVs in all the rooms and most with ensuite bathrooms.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank Stjohn and Clar... N
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Pros: Really friendly family running the place.
Nice courtyard garden. Kitchen ok for basic meals.

Cons: our room really smelled of must and bleach. I think that paying and additional $1.00 for wifi per day is really cheeky. Hot water not guaranteed in the shower.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank baileyOT
Reviewed September 12, 2013

At first glance it did not inspire confidence but in the end it was ok, we were put in a triple room. a rather eccentric owners. the back of the hostel is lovely. small klitchen. fairky quiet a bit of walk from the city centre and train station. all rooms with tv and hot shower.

Room Tip: Get one of the rooms from the back not the front nicer area.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple