Open today: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM
Review Highlights
Maintain Situational Awareness

What an almost great experience.  We booked a horseback ride to Laguna de Cuicicha. Roundtrip as... read more

Reviewed March 9, 2019
Kairho1
Ocala, Florida
Great horse ride

Reviewed July 7, 2017
Safari157750
Scarborough, United Kingdom
via mobile

All reviews homestay horses cotacachi cuicocha laguna ride guide culture information market
Selected filters
Reviewed August 3, 2017 via mobile

My wife and I were in Otavalo and wanted a day hike in the area. They set us up with Claudio and a driver and we did the trekking loop around Laguna Cuicocha which was awesome. Had a great lunch after. Worth the 35 dollars each for sure.

Date of experience: August 2017
1  Thank Nico20167
Reviewed July 29, 2017

My wife and I did a four-day homestay with a Kichwa family in a small community outside of Otavalo. It was a fantastic experience! Our hosts, Cristina and her family, were warm and inviting, making us comfortable from the moment that we entered their home. We were invited to join in on activities involved in maintaining the family's agricultural lands - including harvesting vegetables, chasing the cows out of the vegetable garden, and shelling beans for sale in the market. We also cheered on teams at a local soccer field, went to a college graduation party at a relative’s house and spent time teaching oragami to our hosts’ seven-year-old son. We also met many members of our hosts' extended family, who were all very welcoming.

Our room was very nice and comfortable, and the food was prepared with special consideration of the fragile stomachs of foreigners.

The fact that my wife and I are comfortable with Spanish was definitely helpful. However, even if your Spanish is much more elementary, I am confident that a home stay with this program, or with this family, would be a very rich experience.

Support from Runa Tupari staff was excellent. Our drivers were excellent – helpful, friendly and eager to share information about Otavalo’s culture and history. From the manner of the Runa Tupari staff and the warmth and comfort of our host family, it was very clear that Runa Tupari were committed to empowerment of the local communities and building intercultural connections – and that the group is doing it very well.

Date of experience: July 2017
1  Thank JohnMichaelCurry
Reviewed July 7, 2017 via mobile

We had a great time on the horse ride, the guide was excellent. Sadly there was a bit of confusion, after booking the full day ride we only ended up having a half day ride. But the rep at Runa Tupari gave us the refund to bring it back down to the price of a half day. Great guide, responsive horses and a good customer service.

Date of experience: July 2017
1  Thank Safari157750
Reviewed January 28, 2017

We arranged a home stay with Runa Tupari and stayed with a family outside Otavalo. It was a wonderful time and we felt integrated into their daily activities, including milking a cow, helping to roast corn for the market, shelling peas, etc. If we spoke better spanish, we probably could've done more! All of the Runa Tupari guides and rides they provided were incredibly helpful, on time, and happy to answer questions. Emails sent prior to our trip were always answered within a couple days to make the pre-planning go smoothly too! If you are not a good spanish speaker, I recommend you mention this early in your planning so you can have the appropriate guides there to help you.

Date of experience: January 2017
Reviewed January 20, 2017

"Community based tour operator". Guide Luis was very good, although he seemed to run out of steam by the end of the day, and kind of disengaged. We toured Lago San Pablo (very interesting), Cascada de Peguche, Peguche pueblo (weaving & musical instruments) Cotacachi (leather goods) & Cuicocha Lake. We had lunch at a very nice restaurant above Cotacachi. We'd go back there if we had the opportunity. Unfortunately guide Luis was dismissive & kind of rude to the waiter, who was a very nice young man.

The tour was well organized & enjoyable, & what we thought was a reasonable price. We planned to do another tour the next day, but changed our minds in the evening. I went to their office first thing in the morning, & called the emergency number posted on the door. Eventually I reached someone, and cancelled the tour with guide Fausto. I was asked to wait at the office till Claudio arrived, which I did. While speaking with him, Fausto arrived, his manner angry. I apologized for having to cancel, but he remained surly. They spoke together, then Claudio informed me they wanted me to pay for Fausto's gas, as he had supposedly driven to our hostel to pick us up. (Not far away, and my husband was not aware of him coming to the hostel - Fausto did not make contact.) I refused, as I felt it was a bit of a scam.

Date of experience: December 2016