“Great hotel in Otavalo”

and 1 more site!
Hostal Dona Esther
Ranked #6 of 34 Otavalo B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 30, 2011

We recently stayed in the Hostal Dona Esther. We had the suite on the upper floor which included a sitting room, a small kitchen and a fireplace. It was very comfortable.

The hotel is centrally located in Otavallo.

The restaurant in the hotel is very good. We had the best salad in all of Ecuador there. we had the pizza,which was good, and we wished that we had also tried some of the other traditional Ecuadorian dishes.

the owners were very helpful in arranging a driver for us to explore the countryside.

The only problem was the lack of a handrail on the rather steep staircase to the upper rooms.

I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 22, 2011

Stayed here 1 night & then transferred to Posada Del Quinde. Dona Esther had NO HOT WATER....Beds poor.... no Heat (like Quinde) No Parking (only Public lot 2 blks away) vs onsite @ Quinde. Overall decent but not spectacular like Quinde. Restaurant nice but very Dark. Staff Friendly...Better for Back Packing types I;d guess.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Whale Shark D
Management response:Responded January 23, 2011

First of all, of course we do have hot water, but sometimes things happen - maybe in your case, I don't recall - and you have to take action to make reparations, I certainly hope you took the trouble of notifying us so that we could have solved your problem. The beds are good, nobody ever complained about them, on the contrary, guests usually like the beds. About a dark restaurant? Okay, a difference of taste, I guess our decoration is a kind of love it or leave it thing, fortunately a lot of people love it. Back packers normally look for other type of hostels and please don't forget to compare prices if you prefer another type of hotel.

Reviewed January 18, 2011

Just off a street close to Place Bolivar, set up in Hacienda style round a courtyard - so pretty with the greenery, white walls and dark wood, I couldn't stop taking photos. Felt relaxed as soon as we arrived, and immediately extended our stay by a day; Staff are friendly and helpful, dressed in the attractive typical local dress. Our room was simple with dark wood floor and furniture and comfortable bed, rather like a monastery, but attractive and very relaxing - not over large, but for the price, very good. We slept well and were ready to tackle the market the next day. Breakfasts and dinner in the restaurant, a warm attractive space off the courtyard, with dome-shaped pizza oven, were wonderful - I didn't want to leave! A group of musicians entertained us on the first evening - a lovely added bonus. Otavalo is a beautiful place to visit, and this Hostal especially so.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for one night while we were in Otavalo and because of the reviews thought it would be a very nice place to rest. It wasn't horrible, but it didn't meet my expectations (low as they were to begin with). I wouldn't recommend it, rather I would give disclaimers and allow those willing to deal with the downfalls make their own decision. I will say that it was fine for what we were planning to use it for which was just for 1 night to lay our heads down until we got settled and checked out the town.

Good:
+ they were very responsive when I was researching places to stay
+ they offered an airport pick up (private taxi) for a very reasonable rate at around $50 and the driver, Luis, was pleasant and reliable that we hired him for a full day the following day and then the next day back to Quito
+ nice & quaint open courtyard
+ safe and ideal location
+ hot water

Downfalls:
- seemed run down....old (some will call this character)
- bathrooms - smelly water, rough towels (from being air dried), a few creatures/bugs
- expensive water bottles (hint: walk out to the left of the hostal and go to the small bakery on the corner to get water for 1/8 of the cost)
- food was not good, albeit we didn't find much Ecuadorian food to be delish

Don't expect much and you may not be disappointed. We ended up staying just outside of Otavalo in San Pablo, which seemed to be stone throw away, and stumbled across a wonderful resort. It was; however, more than double the cost of Dona Esther. If it's w/in your budget, I would highly recommend with a couple caveats. I was going to write a review, but didn't find it on here so I'll try later. It is Cabanas del Lago.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2011

Dona Esther is just a few blocks from the main market in Otavalo, and just down the street from Plaza Bolivar. The staff is friendly, the courtyard is beautiful and the rooms, while basic, are clean and comfortable. Good food a the restaurant!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 11, 2010

This is an Ecuadorian style hotel or hostel, with a center court yard. The restaurant serves brick oven pizza in the evening. The host brought us warm drink as an unexpected gift to take the chill off of a rainy evening. Get an interior room and avoid the balcony unless you are willing to accept the noise that comes from a street view. My five star rating is local standards, if you want the Holiday Inn experience, just like home, go elsewhere and pay accordingly.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed December 3, 2010

I stayed here in November 2009 for a couple nights while visiting the weekend market in Otavalo. At about $25/night it was the most expensive place I stayed but the rooms are quite large, have a private bathroom, and the whole setup is really cool - everything is built around an open-air courtyard. The location is good - very central and only a few minutes walk from the market. It is a bit noisy during the night as cars would speed up between intersections, but that seems to happen throughout the town. There were two computers with internet available, which was helpful for checking out the next stop (which was Ibarra for me).

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple