“perfect place to rest”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Otavalo
Ali Shungu Mountaintop Lodge
Ranked #6 of 29 Otavalo B&B and Inns
Kalamazoo, Michigan
“perfect place to rest”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My son and I had the pleasure of spending a few days with Frank and Margaret last month while traveling in Ecuador. My son came to them a bit ill and found a perfect place to rest. He was able to sleep and eat wonderfully healthy food fresh from the local farmers. He recovered quickly and Frank generously took us to the markets. Our hosts where a perfect combination of available while giving us our privacy. I found rare gifts in their gift shop to bring to all my family. I would recommend Ali Shungu to anyone. The guesthouses are unbelievably beautiful and spacious. Everything was so clean and the view spectacular! We felt very comfortable and left feeling well rested and well cared for!

Lisa A

Room Tip: All of the guesthouses have beautiful views.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Cuenca, Ecuador
Reviewed November 20, 2012

My wife and just spent a wonderful week at the Ali Shungu Mountaintop Lodge, where it can best be described as "paradise". It was one of the most quiet places we have ever stayed anywhere. And the independent houses which we stayed in, were extremely clean and comfortable. Plus, Frank and Margaret, along with their staff went out of their way to make us feel welcomed and well taken care of. And the views from the mountaintop are amazing. We found ourselves sitting for hours, just looking at the views through the big picture windows. Most relaxing and restorative. It is definitely the best place to stay in Otovalo, and perhaps Ecuador. You will not regret choosing Ali Shungu Mountaintop Lodge.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Matt H
LA
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Fabulous. Wonderful place to end your Ecuador trip in total relaxation and great food. Frank, the owner, took us to the vegetable market to experience first hand bartering and the kindness of the people of the region.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank John T
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I would highly recommended the Ali Shungu - 'good heart' Mountain Lodge, the entire experience was perfect. The house I stayed in was ideal for all my needs, and kept warm at all times by the log fire. Jose Maria was aware that I wake at 6am every morning and was ready and waiting to light the fire as I started the day with my cup of tea. The food every morning and evening was absolutely superb, and plentiful, some of the best dishes I had tasted during my whole trip to Ecuador.
I loved my house, its views were ever-changing and spectacular, whether it was watching the sun rise or watching the mists covering the mountains in the evening.
The hosts Frank and Margaritta were very helpful and caring, with wonderful warm, friendly personalities. Even after leaving the Lodge, Margaritta drove me into Otavalo and showed me all the best places to visit, helping me around the famous Plaza De Ponchos, and introducing me to many of the locals. Which was absoutley amazing. As hosts I could not of wished for anyone better. Frank is a wonderful source of knowledge,and his discussions of the history of the land, and the history of the people who lived on this land, made my stay even more magical than I could have imagained. I spent my 4 days on the mountain, meditating and painting. I did not even want to leave to visit Otavalo, and instead changed my plans and spent my 4 days enjoying the space. I also enjoyed a fantastic horse-ride with Jose Maria around the mountain, riding through the local villages.
I spent another 2 weeks in the Otavalo area, it is an amazing place, surrounded by the volcanos and mountains, and lakes,with so many activites and excurisions, all the local people I met were very friendly and approachable.
I would highly recommend the Ali-Shunghu Lodge, it ticks all the boxes!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Kuychi87
Whidbey Island
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We can't say enough wonderful things about this property! Frank and Margaret were friendly, helpful, generous, and extremely informative. We spent two glorious weeks at the Ali Shungu while visiting a local shaman, Don Joaquin Pineda. When not with him, we were writing books, and we can't possibly imagine a more perfect place to stay, free on interruptions and with a sublime view. The decor is gorgeous, the casitas beyond spacious, the meals healthy and plentiful (we saved enough from dinner for lunch every day). Jose Maria was a primo fire builder and horseback riding guide. Fabian, recommended by Don Francisco (Frank), couldn't hav been more gracious as a taxi driver, and even spent half a day with us hiking around Lake Cuicocha. Margaret's handicrafts are phenomenal. Frank and Margaret are legendary in this community for their work with the Quecha people over the past 30+ years. The head-on view of Mount Imbabura and the walks on the property and into Otavalo were amazing. I have no doubt we will return when we next visit Don Joaquin!

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with any of the casitas.
1 Thank judythr
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Ali Shungu is one of the most beautiful places I've ever stayed both scenery-wise and accommodation wise. The food was also excellent. The dogs were lovely and accompanied us on our hikes around the property. Margaret and Frank were very attentive when I wasn't feeling well and offerred to take me to the doctor if needed (it was not.) We were having such a good time despite the colds and tummy aches that we stayed an extra night and felt much better for it. We enjoyed the company of another couple from Israel at mealtimes and on our trip to the animal market with Frank on Saturday morning. (We were two women and they were two men, by the way.) Highly recommended for anyone!

Room Tip: All the houses are great!
1 Thank Kristi190
San Francisco
Reviewed September 28, 2012

From the moment our driver pulled up to Ali Shungu we knew that our stay would be the absolute highlight of our Ecuadorian honeymoon. We truly felt like royalty at the lodge. Our "room" was more like a beautifully decorated and spacious palace. We LOVED the sweet dogs and the INCREDIBLE food. We have never felt more relaxed in our lives. Margarita and Frank were amazing hosts and gave us great recommendations on what to do in the area. Our driver was THE BEST (splurge on him--you won't be disappointed) and a true highlight was our walk around the Crater Lake nearby. We recommend this place wholeheartedly and hope we will be back soon--next time we want to bring all our friends and family. Our tip is to stay in Otavalo for a few days--there is much more too see an enjoy than the markets (athough they are amazing!)--we were sad that so many people come and go so quickly. Take a moment and take it in, its magical.

1 Thank Lauren Q
Also consider these accommodations in or near Otavalo
Casa Mojanda
#2 of 40 in Otavalo
Hostal Dona Esther
Hostal Dona Esther
#8 of 29 in Otavalo

Been to Ali Shungu Mountaintop Lodge? Share your experiences!