“Hacienda Cusin was definitely an unique experience and an unforgettable memory”
Review of Hacienda Cusin

Hacienda Cusin
Ranked #2 of 33 Otavalo B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 8, 2009

We had an awesome time at Hacienda Cusin. After an exhausting tour through Latin America and to the Galapagos, Cusin was the perfect place to relax from the exertions. With its charming staff, delicious Ecuadorian food and affectionately decorated rooms you feel like being in paradise leaving computers, iphones and work behind.

I really recommend exploiting the incredible landscape by horse. Our guide was really nice and even my girlfriend who did her first horseback ride loved to gallop through the Andes. After the tour don’t miss to drink one of Cusin’s fresh made juices. Incredible!

On Saturday asked Angel, the driver, to bring you to the very near and famous market in Otavalo - an unforgettable experience!
I definitely consider coming back – hopefully for my wedding next year!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 5, 2009

We loved our stay at Hacienda Cusin. The grounds are gorgeous. Every day I'd see new things while walking through the gardens. One morning, it was the resident Llama that was grazing near the old Monastery that has been converted into rooms and conference area. We ate breakfast and dinner at the hotel every day of our stay. The food was delicious, the service perfect. We stayed in one of the smaller rooms connected to the main house. Every night while we were at dinner, they would come and light the fireplace in our room.
We took several nice walks while we were there. You would need to take a taxi into Otovalo for the famous market. We also arranged for a taxi to take us to the various sites around the area for a nice day trip.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 4, 2009

Had a wonderful time at Cusin. Was pampered and treated to serenity and amazing service for my entire stay. The rooms were immaculate and historic. The staff was exceptional from the front desk to the gardener (they have an awe-inspiring organic garden that supplies the restaurants!). It is spacious, peaceful, but still within a short distance of the famous Otavalo market and situated 30 seconds from a gorgeous volcanic lake. Would recommend to anyone, from business traveler to family with kids.

By the way, tripadvisor says it is in Cotacachi. It is actually in San Pablo.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed April 11, 2009

experience the tranquility, sophistication and warm hospitality of this wonderful hacienda located 1 1/2 hours north of Quito. The very knowledgable and dependable staff will ensure a most relaxing stay.
I intend to return in summer.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed April 11, 2009

Located in the valley of the Volcanoes in North Ecuador (90-minutes from Quito), Hasienda Cusin is a 5-Star Resort at 2-star prices. One is vaulted back to the 17th Century, but with every modern convenience you can imagine. Professional, courteous smiling staff obliege your every whim. The cuisine is simply creative and the grounds display a mix of organic vegetables in an English country garden setting. The rooms are exceptionally comfortable. Our visit was instantly stressless. We will return whenever we can.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2009

Leisurely relaxing and "getting away from it all" is what I was seeking and I surely found it at Hacienda Cusin located in the beautiful Andes Mountains of northern Ecuador. With a superb staff, excellent service, fabulous food, and occasional entertainment, I truly felt pampered while at Cusin. I adored walking around the incredible gardens and photographing, sketching or painting them as well. This was my third trip to Hacienda Cusin in the past 5 years and I can't wait to return!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 25, 2009

Can't wait to go back!

Hacienda Cusin, and its sister inn, Las Palmeras in Otavalo, Ecuador were the highlights of my previous trips to the Mitre du Monde - the middle of the world! Ecuador; a spectacular country of diverse cultures, enormous volcanoes and mountains that create abundant variety in an area the size of France.

It may be hard to imagine wanting to fly south in the summer from North Carolina, but I can't wait to return where the day is equal to the night all year long and the change in the weather is determined by what altitude you choose.

I am planning to visit the most affordable place to stay, in the hillside peublo of Quiquinche at the beautiful rebuilt inn, Las Palmeras. With views of three mountains, it is attractive, comfortable, and the staff are eager to help with the details of travel - the bags arrive in the rooms, coffee is hot every morning, rooms are spotless and the gardens are abundant with flowers and blackberries. Meals are delicious three course events featuring fresh grown vegetables, unusual juices and fruits, and meats and fish beautifully prepared in the Ecuadorian style.

I expect to visit owner, Nik Millhouse, who will be staying at Hacienda Cusin. He is a great host and ready to provide all the information and history most of us/ I am able to absorb. The history of Cusin, establsihed in 1602 on thousands of acres, is reflected in all the renovations since he took ownership in 1990 and continues with a plethora of innovations. The décor of the rooms is constantly updated with fabulous examples of local artisan's handicraft - including ornately carved furniture, indigenous paintings on sheep skin, hand woven alpaca bed covers and religious vestments and European tapestries on the walls. On the last trip, the improvements were a new grand entrance and new wifi service. What to expect this year?

I am looking forward to the choices that abound each day; whether it is a visit to the church in the square at San Pablo del Lago, a rose plantation tour, a taxi ($5) to the leather village for a little shopping trip; a drive up the mountain to the raptor preserve or a stroll through Peguche park to the waterfall. Maybe I will sit on the veranda and practice my Spanish with a local teacher, or maybe I'll trek around Guinea Pig lake with a guide. Surely, I will return to the abundant Otavalo market, known to be the largest in South America. And of course I will ride horseback up into the hills for a close look at small farms and large fields with indigenous people leading a lifestyle repeated for hundreds of years.

In the evening, there will be a log fire in my room, and in the dining area, even in the summertime when temperatures dip into the 50's. I hope to again spend evenings among friends and new acquaintances passing through. I might watch a film, check the news on my computer (wifi available) sketch in my journal in the library or sip an after dinner drink at the bar.

Before I go, it will take just a minute to pack. I'll take a few things to carry in a light bag. I can get laundry done easily for a very reasonable rate, so I only need two or three changes of clothes. Of course, a fleece is a good idea, but I can pick up a new alpaca sweater in the market, or perhaps at one of the high end boutiques in Quito. I'll need really good walking shoes, a rain jacket and a hat, since the sun shines directly down in the middle of the day. And I'll be glad to have a few extra art supplies to give away to the children who I meet along the way.

It will be great fun. Can't wait to go back! Chao!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank HawthorneArt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Otavalo
7 mi away
Hosteria Pueblo Viejo
Hosteria Pueblo Viejo
#12 of 14 in Otavalo
Hosteria Cabanas del Lago

Been to Hacienda Cusin? Share your experiences!