“Fantastic Trip In/Around Quito”
Review of Otavalo Market

Otavalo Marketplace with Optional Lunch
Ranked #1 of 32 things to do in Otavalo
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This colorful Indian market takes place each Saturday and features some of the finest woven products in the region including ponchos, sweaters, wall hangings and shawls.
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We booked our tour through Metropolitan Tours and am so glad we did. From the person we spoke to that booked our transfer and tours to the local guide and driver - ALL were so very nice, accommodating and thoughtful. Our arrival flight in to Quito was 3 hours late and I was expecting to take a taxi to the hotel, but our transfer was there to meet us at 1 AM with a smile on and a concern to get us to our hotel after a long day. Our Otavalo tour was guided by Bonnie and driver Carlos. We had such a fun day with both! The sights are beautiful and the tour was well paced. Although a long drive (approximately 2-1/2 hours each way), there was ample stops to get out and look around so you did not feel locked inside the car. We booked the Private Guide/Tour with lunch at the La MIrage - a nice hotel/spa. DO NOT miss Cotacachi, a town known for it's leather goods. Bought myself a nice Christmas present - a leather jacket! Very stylish, two tone and only US$145! I've seen similar jackets in the USA for over $250! Great time, Great Tour Company! Will use them again on our next trip to South America!

2  Thank Dona1d
There are newer reviews for Otavalo Market

Reviewed December 22, 2012

Weekend market on Saturday. The market area is vast. The indigenous people come overnight and in the morning the town has changed . The vastness of the market is a sight to see. Textiles etc.So colorful. The vendors are not pushy, and all is peaceful--So many choices of things to buy
Walk further to the animal market and the further you walk , the larger the animals. Your camera is only a click away and you will be busy with it all day

Reviewed December 15, 2012

We had the loveliest day on earth for our visit to Otavalo. Both of us were seasoned market visitors in several parts of the world; so it's hard to impress us, but we loved it! There's tons of genuinely handmade stuff alongside machine-made stuff and on top of that a bunch of stuff obviously from outside Ecuador. Only a champion shopper who needs no sustenance or water could possibly canvass the whole thing in one day, but there are plenty of food options along the way and even a few benches to sit on and re-group. I bought coca cream for arthritis and a light alpaca sweater ($15); my friend got lucky when we found a true artist and she bought a piece that should be in a gallery somewhere. The colors of all the goods against the azure sky and beautiful buildings and people were so intoxicating that we plan to return, even though we cured ourselves of shopping long ago (we thought so, anyway). You can't not go if you're in the Andes. If you're looking for leather, though, go to Cotacachi--those folks apparently don't sell in Otavalo.

1  Thank Eva v
Reviewed December 9, 2012

The Otavalo market, although had bargins, was not quite what I expected. I went on a Wednesday and maybe it's better on Saturday. I did get some bargins, but for the price I paid for my tour, I purchased similar items for the same price at the market in Quito. I did have the opportunity to see much of the countryside outside Quito and visited Cotocachi, where there were many nice leather goods, not found in Quito. But if I had it to do all over again, I would have booked a tour through the hotel or hired a driver. I booked my tour through a travel agency and it was rather pricey. The market itself was much smaller than I had expected. Many small stalls with the same merchandise. Merchants were very nice and willing to bargin.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Huge market - we went on a Saturday. Exactly what you'd expect - tons of souvenirs for reasonable prices. Take a bus from one of terminals (can't remember which right now) at the north end of the city for about a dollar in each direction rather than go with an organized tour. Bus felt safe - obviously keep your bag in your lap. To get back head to the main square - buses left as they filled up and if you look like a gringo, they'll assume you're looking to go back to Quito and point you in the right direction.