“Camprar, camprar....” 4 of 5 bubbles

Otavalo Marketplace with Optional Lunch
Ranked #2 of 30 things to do in Otavalo
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This colorful Indian market takes place each Saturday and features some of the finest woven products in the region including ponchos, sweaters, wall hangings and shawls.
Powell River, Canada
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Camprar, camprar....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

We had the loveliest day on earth for our visit to Otavalo. Both of us were seasoned market visitors in several parts of the world; so it's hard to impress us, but we loved it! There's tons of genuinely handmade stuff alongside machine-made stuff and on top of that a bunch of stuff obviously from outside Ecuador. Only a champion shopper who needs no sustenance or water could possibly canvass the whole thing in one day, but there are plenty of food options along the way and even a few benches to sit on and re-group. I bought coca cream for arthritis and a light alpaca sweater ($15); my friend got lucky when we found a true artist and she bought a piece that should be in a gallery somewhere. The colors of all the goods against the azure sky and beautiful buildings and people were so intoxicating that we plan to return, even though we cured ourselves of shopping long ago (we thought so, anyway). You can't not go if you're in the Andes. If you're looking for leather, though, go to Cotacachi--those folks apparently don't sell in Otavalo.

Visited December 2012

• Turkish first
Seattle
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“was a little disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

The Otavalo market, although had bargins, was not quite what I expected. I went on a Wednesday and maybe it's better on Saturday. I did get some bargins, but for the price I paid for my tour, I purchased similar items for the same price at the market in Quito. I did have the opportunity to see much of the countryside outside Quito and visited Cotocachi, where there were many nice leather goods, not found in Quito. But if I had it to do all over again, I would have booked a tour through the hotel or hired a driver. I booked my tour through a travel agency and it was rather pricey. The market itself was much smaller than I had expected. Many small stalls with the same merchandise. Merchants were very nice and willing to bargin.

Visited November 2012
Eagan, Minnesota
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“What you'd expect”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

Huge market - we went on a Saturday. Exactly what you'd expect - tons of souvenirs for reasonable prices. Take a bus from one of terminals (can't remember which right now) at the north end of the city for about a dollar in each direction rather than go with an organized tour. Bus felt safe - obviously keep your bag in your lap. To get back head to the main square - buses left as they filled up and if you look like a gringo, they'll assume you're looking to go back to Quito and point you in the right direction.

Visited October 2012
Sydney, Australia
112 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Too much hype”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

The market is marketed as the best flea market, the 'must-visit' place, etc. If you like shopping for handicrafts, etc, probably it's worthwhile to go. Otherwise, it can be skipped, especially for non-shoppers. There is a variety of stuff to be seen, it's good for taking 2-3 shots, otherwise, the time could be spent elsewhere.

Visited July 2012
Mount Maunganui, New Zealand
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“A great market to visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

A two hour drive from Quito- arid landscape in most parts then green valleys of orchards and farming area. Before visiting the actual market we went to the animal market- just a few minutes walk from the main market, but what an experience. Cows, sheep, cats and kittens, puppies, chickens, pigs and guinea pigs - all for sale. This is a local's market so a different experience from the actual Otovalo market which is touristy but very good- lots of local craft and artists. It's also worth looking at some of the craft galleries and art galleries as you can see some really beautiful things, all worth buying. You can do this market by day tour from Quito but I think it would be a great two day trip, overnighting here.

Visited August 2012