Hacienda Pinsaqui
TripAdvisor
Good 3.5/5
TripAdvisor
Good 3.5/5
All reviewssimon bolivarlovely groundshistoric propertyhot water bottles in our bedsguest rooms areelectric heaterwonderful hospitalityandean musicthe main househistoryhorseshaciendaecuadorfireplacegenerationsmarketsetting
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 10, 2010

It is a nice Hacienda, but after living in Ecuador for 4 months, my entire Family stayed here for 2 nights and we just were not that impressed. It is right off of the busy highway, the rooms are large, but cold, dark and damp. There are many other haciendas that are cheaper and equaly as nice or nicer. Such as Hacienda Primavera, where we also stayed. It is about the same price, but at Primavera EVERYTHING is included. Food, unlimited harseback riding, guided hikes and much more.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed December 22, 2009

We stayed at Hacienda Pinsaqui for 4 nights. We had room #7 which was quite large and had a fireplace that was lit every night for us. They placed warm water bottles in the beds which we didn't need. I don't think the cold weather had arrived yet. The service was fabulous. Monika who manages the hacienda was very attentive. She helped us with our tours to Cuicocha Lake and Fuya Fuya which are both great hikes.
The horseback riding there is wonderful. The horses are very responsive and we had a great guide, Juan Carlos. We rode through the farmland to Imambura Volcano. Beautiful countryside!
The grounds are beautiful and there are llamas, horses, and even peacocks there. This was a great start to our trip in Ecuador.
The breakfasts were good but I found the dinner to be lacking. We had better food in the cheap restaurants in Otavalo and Cotacachi nearby. That was my only drawback to a perfect place to visit.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2009

After a day in the markets, I spent the evening at Hacienda Pinsaqui. Even when all 16 rooms are occupied, it seems as though you are the only one on the property. The public areas are loaded with history, beautiful antiques and imported chandeliers. The night I stayed here, the Waukis, a local band was playing their traditional music in one of the public areas of the hacienda.

I decided to explore the Pinsaqui property in the still of the night. Acres and acres of peaceful gardens mixed among old-growth timber surround the property. I slipped into one of the many hammocks strategically placed in various secluded areas of dense foliage. It was so relaxing! I gazed up at the sky — far away from the city lights it was loaded with millions of stars. The distant sound of drums and flutes, along with the bluish green illumination from fireflies, helped set the mood for an evening of reflection on my experiences in Ecuador thus far.

I made my way back to my room at 11PM, stopping one last time to marvel at the art-adorned public areas. I sent a couple last-minute emails from the free (but rather slow) Internet provided to the hacienda guests. I was suprised to see Hector, "the man in charge" still working and available to answer guests' questions and requests!

The rooms are colorful, and added touches by the staff make the hacienda a relaxing and unforgettable experience. Each room is heated by a wood-burning fireplace and is lit each night while guests enjoy dinner. Another unique part of the turn-down-service is the hot-water bottle left in the bed and the Ecuadorian chocolate left on the pillow. This was the perfect ending to the most culturally diverse day of my life.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 11, 2009

We stayed at Hacienda Pinsaqui at the end of June. We could not have been happier. Everyone enjoyed themselves. We would happily stay there again. The restaurant and all the staff were wonderful. We especially loved the bar and the band - Waukis - that played while we were there.

Hector deserves special mention!! He was absolutely wonderful and made sure we felt comfortable and happy at all times.

We were all horribly sad when we had to leave and we all want to go back again next year.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 9, 2009

We stayed at Hacienda Pinsaqui last month, having been impressed by the reviews on this site and by the hacienda's own website. We were there three nights (Weds - Fri) and in short, we had a wonderful stay. Note that other than Friday night (i.e. before the Sat market) the hacienda is VERY quiet.
The restaurant is fabulous - it was great to sample "real" Ecuadorian food and the service was unfalteringly good.
Horse-riding through the local villages and mountains is a real must - we were total beginners and Juan Carlos (our guide) was an excellent teacher and planned a very interesting and beautiful route.
We stayed in Room 7, which was massive. The rooms are not overly luxurious, but they do retain the traditional feel we'd hoped for. Bathrooms need a little work I think and generally a fresh lick of paint in our room wouldn't have gone amiss. The fire that was lit in our room each night was fantastic, as were the (much needed) hot water bottles. We were initially offered a room spread over three floors at the other end of the hotel, which we were disappointed with as it bore little resemblance to the rooms on the hotel's website. However, the change of room was done without fuss and with good will.

Monica, incidentally, is an excellent manager and was a pleasure to deal with throughout our preparations and during our stay.

Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple