“Hacienda Pinsaqui was absolutely fabulous!! Hector was our HERO!”
Review of Hacienda Pinsaqui

Hacienda Pinsaqui
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Otavalo
Reviewed July 11, 2009

We stayed at Hacienda Pinsaqui at the end of June. We could not have been happier. Everyone enjoyed themselves. We would happily stay there again. The restaurant and all the staff were wonderful. We especially loved the bar and the band - Waukis - that played while we were there.

Hector deserves special mention!! He was absolutely wonderful and made sure we felt comfortable and happy at all times.

We were all horribly sad when we had to leave and we all want to go back again next year.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hacienda Pinsaqui

Reviewed June 9, 2009

We stayed at Hacienda Pinsaqui last month, having been impressed by the reviews on this site and by the hacienda's own website. We were there three nights (Weds - Fri) and in short, we had a wonderful stay. Note that other than Friday night (i.e. before the Sat market) the hacienda is VERY quiet.
The restaurant is fabulous - it was great to sample "real" Ecuadorian food and the service was unfalteringly good.
Horse-riding through the local villages and mountains is a real must - we were total beginners and Juan Carlos (our guide) was an excellent teacher and planned a very interesting and beautiful route.
We stayed in Room 7, which was massive. The rooms are not overly luxurious, but they do retain the traditional feel we'd hoped for. Bathrooms need a little work I think and generally a fresh lick of paint in our room wouldn't have gone amiss. The fire that was lit in our room each night was fantastic, as were the (much needed) hot water bottles. We were initially offered a room spread over three floors at the other end of the hotel, which we were disappointed with as it bore little resemblance to the rooms on the hotel's website. However, the change of room was done without fuss and with good will.

Monica, incidentally, is an excellent manager and was a pleasure to deal with throughout our preparations and during our stay.

Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 12, 2009

Hacienda Pinsaqui is a great place to stay and highly recommended. It has been owned by the same family for 300 years. You get very much a sense of history being there, and are also encouraged to feel right at home. The rooms and grounds are beautiful, meals are delicious and staff is lovely. I would not recommend this for families with children, it's more a quiet, adult sort of place.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 1, 2009

I have been studying in Ecuador for this entire past semester. Most of my travels include staying at hostels and hostales because I am on a student budget. However, my parents came to visit and we stayed at Hacienda Pinsaquí. It was my second time in the Otavalo area and I had a lovely time. As everyone else says, Hector is a great manager even though my Mom can be very picky (she reads this site obsessively... UH OH... I LOVE YOU MOM!). We did switch rooms originally because they gave us the honeymoon suite but my Mom did not want to be behind the kitchen. The hotel is BEAUTIFUL. It has so much character. So much better than staying at a chain hotel! However, as a result, it does not have the same kind of amenities you would expect at say a Sheraton. For example, it can be very cold at that altitude and a chain hotel would have heat. Hacienda Pinsaquí does not. I found this to be charming because they came around with hot water bottles and lit the wooden stove (which did nothing). Also the toiletries provided were not as you would expect in a chain hotel. In my opinion, this hotel was not very expensive for the level of service provided (we paid about 120 per room I believe). Hector set us up with a taxi driver who took us everywhere around the area. I wanted to see sights I had not seen the first time I went to Otavalo and man did we! Our taxi driver took us to the Condor park, the Lechero tree, Peguche waterfall, a weaver's private home in Agato and even talked us into a tour at a rose greenhouse which is not so legal but incredible! My parents commented that this was wonderful (at 7 dollars an hour... seems like a lot to me but I live here now!) but that it would have been completely useless without me. I had to translate every sentence the taxi driver said to my parents as he was guiding us. Ecuador is not the most touristy country in terms of the fact that most people, including taxi drivers, do not speak English. Obviously, this is not true in an Hacienda like Pinsaquí. My main complaint was the food. The breakfasts were fabulous (as in all of Ecuador) but the dinner was not. In Ecuador, to have bad Ecuadorian food at a nice hotel seems somewhat like a crime!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed April 24, 2009

We spent two nights at the Hacienda Pinsaqui and were really impressed! The management was wonderful (thanks, Miguel), the food terrific - live entertainment in the evening was great, too. The views were beautiful and Otavalo market is just down the road. We had a wonderful time and would go back again tomorrow!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2009

Staying in the beautiful Hacienda Pinsaqui was a fantastic and superb experience. From the moment of our arrival, Hector, the manager, gave us a cordial and warm reception.
The welcome drink, Canelazo, while listening to the Andean Music played by a local group and the hacienda’s history in the distinctive old bar before dinner, made that first night most memorable. The service was impeccable, the food was delectable and the huge grounds were most inviting to walk and relax.
Our room # 7 was enormous and well appointed with a wood burning fireplace, lit by the staff just before we retired for the evening.
We would definitely return to Hacienda Pinsaqui in our next trip to Ecuador.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank espie621
Reviewed February 23, 2009

We went there in Mid-February; the staff was very grateful and kind; we got a Welcome Gift (a wine bottle!). Rooms were spacious. Food was delightfully delicious. Everything was just prefect.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank fmisle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Otavalo
Casa Mojanda
#4 of 14 in Otavalo
Hostal Riviera-Sucre
Hostal Riviera-Sucre
#2 of 14 in Otavalo

Been to Hacienda Pinsaqui? Share your experiences!