“Beautiful look at local history”
Review of Hacienda Pinsaqui

Hacienda Pinsaqui
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Otavalo
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We stopped here for lunch on our way from the Otavalo Market back to Quito. The main building and the grounds are stunning. Our lunch was delicious and the service was impeccable. If I ever have another opportunity to go to Ecuador, I'm staying here.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Georgia H
There are newer reviews for Hacienda Pinsaqui

Reviewed January 29, 2013

We had spent the day traveling through Otavalo after leaving Quito. We were delighted with Hacienda Pensaqui, which is traditional but very comfortable. We were welcomed with courtesy and a brief history of the Hacienda where some important negotiations between Ecuador and Colombia took place over the past century. The Hacienda evidently is an equestrian farm and the owners award-winning riders. The gardens were lovely. The dinner was good but not particularly outstanding and the breakfast somewhat spartan. We did have some delightful musical entertainment after dinner, along with complimentary drinks. It was a nice introduction to the Ecuador of the past.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Most of the previous elaborate reviews have really nailed it! While I might have preferred to stay at Zuleta, it was quite a bit further from Otavalo and we were limited with time. Pinsaqui is historic and charming and it is a bit of an adventure staying here and a touch romantic. This is real cowboy country and we felt like we had arrived on a movie set. We were in a family suite that was more of a farmhouse with a terra cotta roof and wooden door and an iron bell at the entry. It was a bit of a distance from the main hacienda but the walk was beautiful and gave us an opportunity to really enjoy the grounds and the peacocks. The 2 bedrooms had two twins each and a loft with another twin and a comfortable sitting room in front. I would have preferred a queen or king in one room; especially since it was our anniversary...We received warm water bottles in our bed each night which really took the chill out. The bathroom had plenty of hot water and good water pressure but needed a make-over and nice soaps and shower products and a hair dryer. Our rooms could have used fresh bedding; white bedspreads or quilts on all the beds would do the trick. Fresh flower arrangements in our room and throughout the Hacienda were exceptional. The welcome reception was really special; don't miss it! It was a full house on our last night and so the party was moved to a great room for Andean music and a toast. Dinner was good and so was breakfast, but what made them really good was the richness of the setting. The service was good and the staff seemed to genuinely care. You are definitely staying in a piece of rustic history, it has real sense of integrity and strength and you won't soon forget your visit here.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Nice lunch - the musicians were a nice touch. Looking around the different antiques in this 300 year old hacienda gave a sense of old world charm. The rooms looked lovely and spacious. I wish I could have crawled into one of the 4 poster beds. :-) Service was good, but a bit expensive - though I expected it.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I recently had the opportunity of staying at 3 different haciendas in the highlands of Ecuador on the west slope of the Andes, NE of Quito.

In chronological order, I stayed at Haciendas Zuleta, Cusin and Pinsaqui. In order of my preference for each, I rank Zuleta as the clear number 1, Pinsaqui as number 2 and Cusin as distant number 3. They are all very different. I will review each, with this review being of Pinsaqui.

I spent 2 nights in room #2 at Hacienda Pinsaqui during December. While not as nice as Zuleta, it was nicer and more interesting than Cusin, in my opinion.

Room #2 is a large long rectangular room with a high ceiling along the backside of the main hacienda building with windows all along the room looking out at the gardens. It contained 2 twin beds, a wood stove, a very uncomfortable low back upholstered chair accompanied by a small square low table with uneven legs, a wood dresser with mirror, and 2 night stands with table lamps.

Due to the windows, the room was very bright during the day, even on a dark day. The downside to the windows was the transmission of cold temperatures to the room. With the window drapes closed, and the lights on, the room was still well lighted.

The large separate tiled bathroom was at the end of the room opposite the room door. As a result of all of the tile (which I liked) the room was very cold. Luckily there was also an electric heater in the room in addition to the wood stove, so I move the heater into the bathroom and it worked well to heat the bath room.

A real oddity about the bathroom was the placement of the window and the choice of window covering. The window was next to the toilet and was only covered by a very sheer, see through curtain. Since I could clearly see out through the sheer curtain, I knew that people could also see in. What were they thinking? This was very disconcerting while sitting on the throne and, in fact, there were several instances where people were standing on the adjacent outdoor patio while I was engaged in my royal duty.

Another other oddity in the bathroom was the distance from the front edge of the lav top to the wall mirror. It was a good 2 feet and due to its height it made it difficult to shave at the sink without wearing my glasses to see clearly in the mirror and other things like flossing my teeth.

The bathroom had a deep tub with a shower. I took a hot soak in the tub one evening and it was great! The shower had good water pressure but the hot water temp can get very hot - be very careful. What I found that worked best was to turn on the hot first and let it fully come up to full hot. Then slowly blend in the cold until you have a comfortable temp. Do not get under the shower until it is comfortable on your hand first! I did find the bathroom amenities (shampoo and soap) to be small and cheap.

The buildings and grounds were very interesting, and much more extensive than first appearances. Be sure to explore.

The breakfast room is in a separate building from the main building which contains the dining room. To get to it, you pass by an interesting chapel, which is worth a look or 2. The breakfast room itself is in a large, high ceilinged building which I found very interesting. There are 2 rooms contained herein, with huge fireplaces in both. One room is a large sitting area, and the other contains the breakfast buffet and many tables and chairs for guests.

Exploring further, I found a separate building containing 4 sleeping rooms in a square L shape looking out over its own stone courtyard with fountain and the horse area. Although I didn't get an opportunity to see any of these rooms, I believe if I came back I would want to stay here instead of in the main building as it seemed so private.

There is also a separate large bar in a basement area on the back of the main building. Like most large rooms, it had its own fireplace. It was an inviting and comfortable area.

Like most haciendas, the sleeping rooms in the main building appeared to all be differently sized, configured and furnished. I only had the chance to see a few, but was really intrigued by the room across from my own, #3 I believe. It was an interesting 3-level configuration, with the sleeping area on the same level as the room door, and a separate sitting area upstairs and the bathroom downstairs.

One thing that bothered me about Pinsaqui was that seemed to always keep their exterior doors open, even when it was cold. Also, the open doors let in many, many flys.We were always having to swap them away from our food in the main dining room. Yuck!

I had 2 dinners and 2 breakfasts here. I had trouble with slow service at both dinners. Breakfasts were self serve from a buffet. The food was decent, but not remarkable. Also, at both breakfasts, the buffet was not fully stocked or had coffee out at the opening time.

While not as nice as Zuleta, it was a considerable step above Cusin in my opinion. I would stay here again and can recommend it; although, I can only rate it as average due to the many flies, less than fully clean conditions in my room, strange bathroom window and unremarkable dining.

Room Tip: Ask lots of questions as the rooms are very different.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank AustinWhitewater
Reviewed November 25, 2012

This 300 year old hacienda, famed for its visits by Simon Bolivar, provides old school charm with good service. The property is all original, so rustic is probably the best adjective to describe the rooms which are spacious. We had a queen bed room, which came with its own fire place, stoked and roaring when we came back from dinner.

The property has roaming llamas and peacocks. There are horses available for trail rides around the local area. It is also close to Otavalo, a town known for leather products.

The food was good though there was little variety between lunch and dinner. The service was great for lunch and dinner. The buffet breakfast was not ready when we arrived and the wait staff seemed in attentive. Make sure to catch the history of the hacienda in the old bar. We were treated to local music and a local cider (booze).

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We unfortunately only had a night at this hotel. We were greeted warmly and shown to our room which had a lovely 4 poster bed, a seating area and a view over the gardens. In the evening the owner hosted a welcome drink and told us something of the history of the house. There was also local folk music. Dinner was a choice of 3 dishes and was well cooked. Whilst the hacienda is old and therefore a bit cold, the fire in our room was lit and water bottles put in our bed. Breakfast was also good and it was nice to have a wander round the lovely grounds before we had to leave.
This hacienda is not a modern hotel and as such you have to balance the atmoshere and service with modern facilities but it is comfortable and would certainly be my choice if I was to return to the area.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank quin88
Also consider these accommodations in or near Otavalo
Casa Mojanda
#4 of 14 in Otavalo
Hostal Riviera-Sucre
Hostal Riviera-Sucre
#2 of 14 in Otavalo

Been to Hacienda Pinsaqui? Share your experiences!