Tripadvisor
Open today: 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Otavalo
from $10.26
More Info
All reviews three generations showing how otavalo market hand made for sale thread backstrap loom raw craftsmanship art wool products material garments quality tools
Selected filters
Reviewed January 5, 2020

in this charming place you will see how the precise weaving is done from planning to the finished product. beautiful yarns, looms and pieces allow you to better understand and appreciate the craftsmanship involved. the guide couldn't have been more enthusiastic in explaining what everything was-highly recommend!

Date of experience: December 2019
Reviewed August 26, 2019

We were out and about for the day and our driver stopped here. So thankful he did. We had a really interesting demonstration given by three generations of this family. Got to see how raw wool is made into yarn/thread for use with looms. Not only the process but the tools used for hundreds of years to do so. Also the different plants they use for the different natural colors. The youngest was using an old backstrap loom most of the time we were there. It was so amazing to see the work involved to do this by hand. It certainly makes you appreciate and understand the quality and caring that goes into a hand woven product. After the demonstration they let you browse through through their shop. There was no pressure whatsoever to purchase anything but I did as it was filled with the most beautiful items and it was nice to know that most everything (all the woven products) there were hand crafted at that same place. Considering the amount of time that goes into making these items they are really very reasonably priced. I actually purchased quite a bit as I saw some unique pieces that I did not see elsewhere - including the Otavalo market. It's nice to know that the money is going towards a family that it trying to keep the skill of making these items by hand alive. This was one of the more interesting and enjoyable places I visited during my six weeks in Otavalo.

Date of experience: January 2019
Reviewed July 30, 2019

This is an great place to see traditional weaving and purchase beautiful garments. Our guide demonstrated the weaving process very skillfully. You can see the pride they take in their work. I enjoyed my visit here.

Date of experience: June 2019
Reviewed May 31, 2019 via mobile

The family does an excellent job of educating visitors about the history and tools of weaving, tapping into five generations of experience.

Their gallery of work for sale is mind boggling. A plethora of creativity and passion to the craft on display. Prices are higher than machine generated garments you can find in markets, but still a bargain when you consider that the garment is hand made with a unique design.

I enjoyed this place more than shopping the Otavalo market!

Date of experience: June 2019
1  Thank M8510MRstevenl
Reviewed January 25, 2019 via mobile

This was wonderful! We were very lucky that we arrived at the same time as another couple who had a guide who spoke English. (We did tip him, but he was happy to answer our questions anyway). Great explanation of the process and the family of five generations who work this and try to pass on the skills to others.

Date of experience: January 2019