“Good food, nice view, cold beer”
Review of Tabasco's - CLOSED

Tabasco's
TX, USA
“Good food, nice view, cold beer”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

What else could you ask for? We stopped by for a quick bite and a few cold beers while doing some shopping. Their menu has the basics and we ordered tacos and a burrito. Price seemed low for tourists, but not priced low enough for locals. So the seasoning of the beef in the tacos was exceptional- they were very tasty. As for the burrito, I am spoiled by Moe's in Georgia, so I have high hopes ordering that in Otavalo. Weird, not close, it was more of a beef enchilada in a soft flour shell. No worries, I liked it, tasted good, and did I mention the beer was cold? :-) Anyway, a great people watching spot overlooking the plaza, and we were well served by a pleasant matronly woman that I assume by reading here to be the owner. A hint for shopping couples with a reluctant husband, this may be a great spot to eat lunch and then leave him to watch over while the final deals are made below...

• Visited December 2013

“Regular”
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

What a lovely couple running the restaurant! So friendly people that really make you feel welcome! The terrace gives a nice view over the market and towards the mountains. We had regular tacos, and it was ok. Good and tasty, but nothing extraordinary. And lots of beans. But I'd be happy to come back.

Montreal, Canada
“A regular and enjoyable on every visit to Otavalo”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Great location with an excellent view of the market and surrounding hills and volcanoes. Incredibly friendly owner who's very generous on the margaritas. I go every time I'm in town and will keep returning. The mexican food hits the spot, the friendly owners always make me feel welcome and the generous tequila portions warms my soul.

• Visited August 2013
Otavalo, Ecuador
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disgusting and Expensive!”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

The view from the terrace at which this restaurant is situated is the only good part. We had the enchiladas which were dirt poor. Makes sense we're in Ecuador not Mexico, so should eat the Ecuadorean food as their food although not among the tops in the world like Japanese, Italian, Thai, Mexican or even good Chinese is still way better than this place. The sauce on the enchiladas was terrible tasting and the corn tortillas they were made of had no resemblance to corn. The fillings were not tasty. Anyone from the US or Mexico would should themselves if they went their more than once or after reading this review. Then the total came out to about $30, in place where food shouldn't cost more than $10. Super expensive for junk food. At least the place was clean and the owner was nice. Good for a beer or two overlooking the Indian Market down in the Plaza de los Ponchos. Other than that don't waste your time or money salivating over this place. Written by a Mexican traveling in Ecuador.

• Visited October 2012
South & Central America
“Fake Mexican”
Reviewed March 17, 2012

This is the worse "Mexican" food I have every tasted. The owner says he has been in business for 21 years and that his wife is a Mexican from Texas but you'd never know it. We had tacos (that were buried in beans) and a burrito that was nothing but beans. Beans, beans, and more beans. For a town where one can get a decent meal for $3 to $5, tis place was a rip-off. Our bill for the two dishes and one water was over $20. They include the tip just in case you are disappointed and don't leave one. The owner seemed nice but I have a feeling it was as fake as his "Mexican" food.

• Visited March 2012