“Great place to relax outside of town!”

and 1 more site!
Hosteria Rose Cottage
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We loved staying at Rose Cottage! The owner was super friendly and helpful. We loved chatting with her. The location has beautiful views and lots of great outdoor spaces and hammocks for relaxing. Great walking right from Rose Cottageare (esp the waterfall hike) and lots of info about other area hiking. Would stay here again for sure!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 16, 2013

Having found hHosteria Rose Cottage online I made a booking for 3 nights well in advance of arrival. I am a backpacker but when i saw this Hansel and Gretel style Hosteria with its many different faces and vistas in every angle I had to book! I think I only paid $10 a night for a bed in a gorgeous Alice in Wonderland style dorm which included pastries and jam and fresh juice with tea and coffee for breaky. The views are unbeatable and for me it was far better staying here for a few restful days after coming in from the rat race of Quito. The family are so welcoming and you get a free ride down to the markets on Saturday at 7.30am. Otavalo was definately my thing and I think I only saw 4 or 5 gringos there which made it all the better.
In perspective $3 for a cab ride is absolutely nothing and the 10 minute ride to town is an experience down a windy traditional hillside!
I went for a walk with Rita (owners daughter) and a girl from the dorm and we hiked for around 40 minutes to a stunning nearby waterfall and then back round in a different direction. Mark and Rosa and Rita alike made me feel like part of the family and we sat and played cards, had some beers and spoke about my life back in the UK as well as their´s which was really comforting for a solo traveler. A lot of hostels I have stayed in so far have been relieved to see the end of you because they have more room for other travelers.
Wifi is a tad temperamental but hello....you´re in the Andes??? Just move closer to the main house and it´s fine. The only thing I would maybe suggest is to wrap some solar fairy lights around the banisters of the stairs leading to the dorm so its a bit more well lit at night but to remain in-keeping with the gorgeous theme of the whole hosteria.
The photos online are not falsified in anyway and when I pulled up in my cab I nearly cried because it was too quaint!!!
Don´t stay in the center, pay next to nothing for the cab and step into a fairytale!
(We also went to Cotacatchi and did a 3 and a half hour hike with Mark and Rita and others staying in the guest houses which was gorgeous and great fun - stopped off in town after for some lunch).
Cannot recommend this place enough and when I come back to Ecuador this will be the first place to stop on my list!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed at Rose Cottage when we went to Otavalo for the market, and couldn't have been happier with our experience. We were greeted very warmly by the owners, and even though we arrived rather late, they threw together a great meal for us. Our cottage was warm and cozy (they'll help you build a fire or else you can command one yourself) and spacious.

The owners will arrange transport to the Saturday market, which is a huge help. While we were there, they also put together an excursion to nearby Lake Cuicocha (a must! so beautiful!) and were incredibly patient while we asked about a million questions regarding activities and the local surroundings.

Last but not least, the place is simply beautiful. Sweeping views of Otavalo and the mountains and valleys that surround it. Totally worth the $3 taxi ride from town center to get this amazing view.

Room Tip: We were a large group, and chose the Chimborazo cottage, which has room for 5 with 2 bathrooms and a...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Rosa and Mark are great hosts of this place with a super view of Otavalo.
We spent a great new years eve there and it was fantastic, we even had a fire and burned a doll which is their tradition.
They also offer breakfast and dinner if you would like.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I've just returned from a wonderful three-night stay at Rose Cottage over New Year's Eve and really didn't want to leave!

I stayed in Chimborazo house, a private cottage-style detached house with a fireplace, sofas, fully equipped kitchen and space to sleep 5 very comfortably. We were so impressed with the owner's attention to detail in decorating our house and the whole hostel. There were so many beautiful little touches that made us feel immediately at home.

The location is stunning with incredible views across fields and valleys. They've got an impressive mirador with hammocks, so after a hard day on one of the many local hikes or shopping at the market, you can relax here and watch locals ploughing fields with an ox and cart or star gaze in the evening. The grounds are beautifully maintained and full of flowers

Rose Cottage has a warm and welcoming atmosphere and it's a great place to meet people. Dinner's served at a long table and beers are plentiful! It has all the practical things you need like wifi access and deliciously hot showers, but is so much more. Rosa, the owner, has really made Rose Cottage feel like a home from home.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I had the choice of coming here, or staying in Quito...and, I am so glad I came here! I planned to stay for one night, but stayed for two (and wanted to stay for longer!). The owner is great. If you are a vegetarian, gluten-free, vegan, or whatever (or, a combination of special food needs) the owner will take great care to prepare food for you. I have a severe gluten allergy, and I am a vegetarian. I ate really well every night, and the dinners were really well-priced. For me, this would have been a selling point at any hostel, but the best thing about Rose Cottage was the location!
If you are a budget traveller, and you don´t have money for the $3 taxi ride into Otavalo, this is probably not the place for you (you can, however, walk). That being said, the three dollar taxi ride to this hostel IS worth it (and, I am a student in debt!). The view is outstanding, and the cottages are quite and well equipped.

The owner is also very warm and friendly. She arranged horseback riding for me, and I had planned to eat my own food for breakfast (since I would be waking up after the kitchen closed, and knew I would need food)... however, 15 mins before I had to go, I heard a knock on my cottage door. It was the owner telling me she had left some food out for me! It was really thoughtful of her, and I appreciated the extra attention. (However, if you are going horseback riding, and know how to ride horses, be sure to tell her to tell the organizers in advance... otherwise, you will be on a horse that is being guided by her walking neighbours! But, if you tell them, they will let you ride normally. I dont know how to ride horses, so this was fine with me!).

I didnt want to go at the end of my stay. There are so many neat things about this place... if I were staying in the country for longer, i NEVER would have stayed for only two days.

I am on the edge of giving this hostel an "excellent" review. However, there are a few minor things that are holding me back. First, I rely on the computer to stay in touch when I am traveling... but, the kitchen (where the computer was located) opens and closes a little randomly. If you have a computer, the wifi is 24-7 (only in the main building though, but you can go in 24-7). However, if you are trying to arrange a time to chat with someone, or need to use the computer a little bit outside of the kitchen´s open-closing hours, it is a bit difficult. I think there just needs to be a computer in the library. I know it risks getting stolen, but for the price of the hostel, I dont think it would be unreasonable to put a netbook in an area that is accessible all the time (or, at least, reasonably predictably accessible). So, if you really need internet for whatever reason, this is important to keep in mind (my smartphone had just been stolen in an upsetting situation, so I would have appreciated more of a chance to keep in touch).

Otherwise, this was a charming property with a lot of potential. I highly reccomend it!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We recently stayed at Rose Cottage through connections who had highly recommended it from their experience last year. It was a great choice! The newly -installed wifi facility was certainly a bonus but above all, the friendliness of Richard one of Rosa's children was a real asset to us. He was helpful throughout the process - even when our flight was delayed for hours in Bogota and our pick-up had to be rescheduled from Quito. Very friendly and, as others have said, a lovely location with great little bungalows. Lupe is a good cook - even down to Shepherd's pie and she will only get better! We had lovely breakfasts and it was easy to see why people could stay longer than anticipated - if you had the time. Otavalo lies about a 45 minute walk (or a ride - we hitch-hiked) down in the valley. The great market - including the animal market too on Saturday includes the Shenandoah Pie shop and an array of stalls and shops in this booming town. We had first visited Otavalo 30 years ago when it really was an Indian market but having done that, Rose cottage, it's location and facilities meant that as a place to chill, it offers so much! Congratulations to Richard and his parents - great place to stay!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends