“Fantastic accomodation and friendly staff”

and 1 more site!
Hosteria Rose Cottage
Reviewed September 5, 2011

We found Rose Cottage to be a perfect stop on our 3 week trip motorcycling in Colombia and Ecuador. In fact we loved it so much we stayed twice, on our way south and north on the Pan Americana. Anna and Steve were our hosts who looked after us fabulously. The cuisine was delicious and all in all the atmosphere at Rose Cottage is delightful.
Rose Cottage is the ideal [lace to stay to visit the charming town of Otavalo. Being situated out of the town centre makes it quiet and peaceful. I would stay there again like a shot!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 5, 2011

My stay at Rost Cottage is one I will remember for a long time, I thoroughly enjoyed everything about it. The hostel is located just out of town so has some of the most spectacular views I have ever seen, both of the surrounding volcanoes and the town below. Being out of the town centre it was quiet enough to really relax but close enough to access Otavalo and the market with ease. The hostel itself is charming and unlike anywhere I have stayed before- with it´s adorable little cottages and hammock areas it was just what I needed after a long day hiking! The staff were very welcoming and friendly and the the food was excellent to boot. My stay was excellent value for money, without compromising any of the service. I would certainly recommend this hostel to anyone- backpackers, families and couples alike- there is something for everyone. Thank you, Rose Cottage!!

Room Tip: If looking for value for money a bed in the dorm room is great, even sofas and a TV downstairs- just...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 24, 2011

This weekend I stayed in rose cottage with my cousin, we received warm welcome from the hosts Rosa & Mark. Staying in this place made me feel confortable. During our visit, we have spent sometime on the market of Otavalo, it's really fantastic. But the most precious memory lied in my mind is the time we spent here. It worths your time & money.

Room Tip: Double room & Single room
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 5, 2011

I am torn about how to rate my review because the location of this hotel has stunning views, however our experience was average, in part because I wanted the best of both worlds- gorgeous views but with easy access to experiencing the culture (we were living in Ecuador at the time and had a friend visiting that we wanted to properly entertain). If you want a place to relax, get away from it all, and take in the views- definitely stay here! If you are looking to interact with the locals, try out local food, and go to the market, I would recommend staying closer in town for a more solid experience.

Someone from the Rose Cottage came and picked us up from the bus station- good thing because the Rose Cottage is pretty far if you are carrying bags (I would guess at least 3 miles uphill). That is one of the disadvantages of staying at this location. It is hard to get around without paying a lot for a taxi to take you into town and back. On one of the days, we walked into town to take a bus to Cotacachi to visit a friend (very cute town known for their leather) and we also walked back at the end of the day. It was a pleasant walk but I wouldn't want to walk that trip more than once.

Our first night we stayed in the Cabaña Cayembe, which turned out to be incredibly small and I wouldn't recommend it at all. At 5'1", I was banging my head all over the place. I would recommend getting a room with private bath in the Casa Cotapaxi instead (we ended up asking to change)...really, you get the same views from anywhere on the grounds of the Rose Cottage. The only problem I had with the rooms in the Casa Cotapaxi was that they used those toilet bowl fresheners as air fresheners...not just in the toilet but placed all over the room...very overwhelming and not in a good way. I could taste it in my mouth. Overall, the accommodations are ok. They aren't phenomenal, but they were clean.

Because of the distance from town, it makes it hard to go out to eat. We were there for a few nights, so we ended up paying for the shared dinners. The staff just cooks up dinner (whatever they are eating, like spaghetti) and you eat what they make...it was something like $5 per person. I guess the reason that bothers me is that having lived in Ecuador, I knew how inexpensive ingredients were so I felt like I was getting really ripped off. But we chose to eat dinner there, so I can't really complain...just a heads up though. We decided it was less expensive in the end to stay in and eat then to take 2 taxis roundtrip to go out to eat.

Overall, the main reason why I consider this hotel average is because of the proximity to town and the overpriced cost of the meals and drinks. The views are stunning (5 stars for that!), but I would recommend travelers to stay close to town (where the market is) and then hike up to this area for a nice view. That way you can eat local cuisine for dinner, wake up early for the market (instead of hoping you can hitch a ride with one of the staff members), and interact with some of the local people. We saw the Hotel Acoma as we were leaving and thought to ourselves that next time, we would stay there since it is priced about the same and was only 2 blocks from the market and easy walking distance to the bus stop.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 29, 2011

We stayed at the casa Chimbarazo for two nights over Easter 2011 and absolutely loved it. Coming from noisy and traffic choked Quito this place was just bliss. Since we were traveling with kids we were not particularly bothered about nightlife. Even though, we had a meal one evening in otavalo and our hostess kindly called a taxi for us at the prearranged time ($3 one way). The other evening we booked to eat in the restaurant on site and for $6 each had one of the nicest meal of our holiday (chicken stroganoff with rice, broccoli and carrots followed by dessert and including a juice).
The house itself was nicely decorated and there was a welcoming basket waiting for us including 2 beers, 4 cold drinks, crisps and apples. We were not charged for this but it just made us feel very welcome. On the first evening there was even a guy who came in to light our fire for us. In addition there was an electric heater in the house which was great at bedtime. Should you still feel cold, they will also give you a hot water bottle for $0.25 each. Breakfast was served from 8 o'clock and included bread, jam, butter, tea, coffee or hot chocolate and a fresh fruit juice and was very nice.
The hotel has a beautiful viewing spot which was great to relax in - two hammocks here make a cosy spot. The kids loved this as it gave them plenty of space to run around. There were a couple of little dogs which provided great entertainment for them as well as a sheep, goat and a llama. There are also lots of DVDs in one of the houses to which we had access and a DVD player in the house we rented.
We took a taxi from Quito to Otavalo and for $70 the driver dropped us off here on Saturday morning, waited while we checked in and the took us to the market. Once we were all shopped out, we simply took a taxi back - all the taxi drivers knew where to go once the name and little village were mentioned.
On the second day we booked a tour with Runa Tupari which I cannot recommend highly enough. For $108 for 4 of us we spent all day touring the local communities, cascade de penuche and laguna cuicocha. They picked us up from the hotel, making for a very relaxing start of the day and the guide was very knowledgeable.
There was no Internet connection in the place but we managed to log on both days (once in otavalo and once in cotacachi) through Internet cafes very cheaply. As with most places you will need to pay by cash - prices quoted don't include vat but there is no set service charge.
Overall, we were quite sad to leave this place to go back to Quito and would definitely recommend it, particularly if you are staying with kids.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 17, 2011

We booked Rose Cottage for two nights so that we could go to Otavalo market. We wished we had stayed longer. As we are on our honeymoon we stayed in the honeymoon cottage and it was beautiful. All of the cottages including the larger family or group have an amazing view and look great too. The place has a great charm and we were just so pleased that we didn't stay down in Otavalo itself where the hotels looked fine but very standard. This was just great for something a little different and special. What really made the stay for us was the hostess Rosa who made us feel very welcome. We walked up the hill after the market and it wasn't such a big deal for us but if you can't be bothered taxis are easy to find and cost 2 or 3 dollars. We walked to the nearby waterfall and even went for a quick swim, the waters very cold. An unexpectedly great two days that is one of the highlights of our six weeks in South America.

Room Tip: Breakfast is included, dinner is an optional extra
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 9, 2011

I stayed at the rose cottage for two nights, I would've liked to stay longer but unfortunaly this wasn't possible. Great location with beautiful views and the cottages are nicely decorated. Friendly staff and good value meals as well. Would be a good place to bring your family to, you can have a whole house for yourself and the kids will be well entertained.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo