“Perfect for low budget travellers”

Hostal Riviera-Sucre
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Otavalo
Reviewed January 19, 2012

To me, if not the best one of the best low budget travel hotel in Otavalo. Safe, close to everything, warm and still keeps these mochilero ambiance of the 90's

Room Tip: The one locates at the street side, maybe a bit noise but you will be back at the 50's
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 13, 2011

I have held back reviewing places in South America until I have travelled for several months (inculding 6 weeks in Ecuador) in order to, hopefully, give a fair review, in the context of the city, culture, price etc.

We had the place almost to ourselves for several days and so was excellent.

Price: Approx. US $25 per night for a matromonial room with private bathroom

Bedrooms: Large, timber floors, light, windo with shutters, cable tv, decent beds. Given the age and build type of the buiding, acoustucally the places isn't great, you will hear people walking and talking etc.

Bathroom: Fairly new facilities, clean, towels, soap and shampoo daily.

Hostel Services: Internal open courtyard design, aesthetically very nice, decent breakfast

Room service: Room service was daily and good.

Hostel Staff Service: Staff didn't speak english, but were very helpful and courtious. Always answered the door promptly at any time.

Hostel Patrons: Didn't have any. If you had loud patrons, I can imagine you wouldnt get much sleep, but for us it was great.

Location: Central location, very good for the money. Walking distance to everything. Personally the market is vastly over-rated, with mostly the same stuff you can buy in Quito and all the stalls sells very similar products. Don't go on a Saturday, its more expensive and, lie mentioned, there is simply more of the same. Go visit some of the natural sights in the area however - they are magnificent.

Conclusion: Good hostel, excellent value for money. Avoid going during the weekend to avoid the influx of people.

Room Tip: Ask for room near the garden at the back, away from street.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 17, 2011

This hotel is extremely well placed about 5 blocks (10 minutes) from the market square and only 2 blocks from the main square. The layout is around an internal courtyard which is very calm. But in addition there is a large lounge area, a garden, and a breakfast room with two computers for use (charged) but free wifi in the rooms (though the speed gets extremely slow if there are many guests logged on). At $15 a night for a single it is exceptional value.
The rooms are a decent size and quite well cared for with a comfortable bed and more than sufficient blankets, though the rooms themselves are unheated. The bathrooms have huge showers and (contrary to the opinion expressed in Lonely Planet) there was never any lack of copious scalding hot water.
Only breakfast is served in the hotel and it is above average for the price. If you want variety, there are plenty of other restaurants nearby, and the one around the corner which opens for dinner is Afro-Ecuadorian and serves excellent fish.
The staff were unfailingly polite and really helpful in organising taxis and dealing with a power cut which affected the entire town.

Room Tip: Get room facing courtyard to avoid street noise
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank SecretStreets
Reviewed April 24, 2011

When my wife and I travel to new places, we often spend hours seeing a half a dozen different hotels before making a decision. We are looking for something clean, homey, quiet, and inexpensive. We found that all at Hotel Riviera Sucre. It is an easy walk to the market. We paid 28.00 per night. (7th night free). We had a room in the back off the garden. It was a lovely spot to sit and have breakfast. Although it is in the city and close to everything, there was no street noise in the garden area. Although the staff did not speak english we enjoyed them and they were glad to see us return each day from our adventures. It was our home away from home for almost a week, and we even returned at the end of our 10 weeks in Ecuador before flying home to CA. When in Otavalo be sure to visit the Shenendoah Pie Shop (many times). It is right at the market plaza square. And... a few doors down and upstairs... Buena Vista is a good restaurant that serves organic vegetables and great trout and great nachos.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WilliamCalifornia
Reviewed March 31, 2011

I stayed 3 days here and loved it. It's a beautiful historical building and full of history, a beautiful, plant filled courtyard and garden with simple but comfortable rooms with TV's and cable and even WiFi!!!! One block from the main square so it's a super convenient location. The bathrooms were recently rennovated and very nice. The hot water was "On Demand" and worked fine. The breakfast was delicious. Although, make note, the Breakfast is not included with the price of the room so that's added onto the top. Still the price to stay in the hotel is very reasonable. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I'd definitly call this a hidden gem in Otovalo.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the building are more quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed February 24, 2011

I was relieved and at total peace when I arrived at the Hotel Riviera Sucre after a very bad night in Quito. The sunny garden was inviting and all my big city stress evaporated. I chose cozy rm #16 off the garden. I was enchanted with it's windows,and being able to sit in the garden right next to my room. It was the only room without a private bath or a tv but I didn't care. The communal bathroom was clean, and was easily accessible even in the middle of the night. It wasn't a big deal, it was only 25 steps away. It was also 6 bucks cheaper. ($9.00) I loved that there was a kitchen for guests use and laundry. I did use their computers and internet but found the cabinas outside the hotel a bit more reliable. I loved my room. I had a firm bed which I prefer. Most of all it was extremely safe, the front doors are locked, each room is provided a lock and key. I left money out and the came to find every single penny untouched and a clean room. It was safe without the yucky "fortress mentality" feeling that I encountered especially around Quito. I slept like a baby. I met guests that had
returned for a second, third and fourth time. If I go back, I wouldn't look any further than the Riviera Sucre. I was very happy there.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed February 8, 2011

Riviera Sucre seems to be the oldest hotel in Otavalo. It has a colonial style, that´s really inviting with its courtyards and garden, where you can relax and watch the hummingbirds flying around all the time. the hotel is in the centre of the city, but the atmosphere is incredibly quiet and the staff and owners are so friendly. We really felt at home.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple