“Hostal Chasqui”

Hostal Chasqui
Santa Marta, Colombia
“Hostal Chasqui”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Such a nice hotel, very friendly owner who will go above and beyond to help you plan your trip in Otavalo, nice rooms with DVD and tv and a great base to explore the city. The hostal itself has so much character, really spacious and great to chill in, highly recommended if you are planning to stay in Otavalo.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the top floor with a balcony!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed November 10, 2012

This was probably my favorite place to stay in all of my trip to Ecuador! I stayed here a week while I took Spanish classes in Otavalo. The roof had great views of the city. The room was clean. There was always hot water in the shower. The location was at the edge of the downtown, where it was a little quieter but still walking distance to everything. The kitchen was functional and allowed me to cook for myself. There was laundry onsite which was free for guests to use. Roberto and the other young man who works there were both exceptionally helpful. It was definitely a great value for the price!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Stayed 2 nights at $20 per night. 8 blocks from bus terminal...easy enough walk but grab a taxi for $1 if you have bags. Short stroll back into main square and close enough to the main areas. Coped with my limited Espanol and map with all sites provided on arrival as well as an English briefing. This is low key and budget but good value for money. Front door key provided. Room was spacious and a very comfortable bed with warm blankets etc. Pillows a little small and hard but didn't prevent a good nights sleep. Hot water at all times after a minute to warm up. Basic room but did the trick. TV and DVD library. WIFI a little patchy but good enough for short stay. Kitchen and deck on top floor. Not flash but functional. Town felt very safe at all times. Place was pretty full both nights and was able to get a good sleep both nights. Not soundproof however and you do hear people talking outside the room but most people are in bed early for an early start to the markets. $1 taxi to the bus terminal for first bus back to Quito at 7am and panaderias open at terminal to grab breakfast.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at Hostal Chasqui for 6 nights. The rooms are nice but unfortunately we were there at a bad time and the bad management of the situation makes me write my first negative review of a hostel. There was a basketball tournament in town and 50 teenagers stayed at the hostel. You can imagine the noise that such a big group of teenagers makes. Every night they were partying right in front of our room or just above on the roof top terrace. Most nights they finally went to bed at midnight (to then start slamming doors and shouting again at 6.30am) but on their last night they went totally crazy and the night ended with them (accidentally?) throwing a big pot plant from the roof top onto the patio in front of our room. It was 3am! Neither the coaches nor Roberto from the hostel tried to control the kids, so my boyfriend had to go outside.... I only got a few hours of sleep and my boyfriend was so angry that he didn't sleep at all. Therefore the next day was a mess too... We had been very understanding until then but after that horrible night (and also because we couldnt move into our room before 7pm when we first arrived) we asked if we could get a discount. Roberto said yes but we didn't actually discuss what this meant. Not only was he unable or unwilling to control the teenagers, what really got me upset was the "discount" that we got: $2! I find this really pathetic if you consider that we stayed for 6 nights and therefore had to pay $120. So it's a discount of less than 2% ! Wow!

• Stayed October 2012
Auckland
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Our room was a decent size - but the bathroom was very cramped. Great view from terrace. Not central, but the town is small enough that it was no problem to walk everywhere. Didn't have a lot of interaction with the staff, but when we did they were helpful. Would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Medellin
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I arrived at 2:30 in the morning because of flood of people at the border, but the night guy welcomed me nicely even if I woke him up and came without reservation.
Roberto, the owner is a super nice person and gave me a detailed introduction in the morning about what to do in the region. He is super nice and care-taking. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. There actually is no dorm, only rooms but they are at the same price than a bed in a dorm. It's a really good place and I can only recommend it.

Room Tip: There are rooms with TV, you may ask for it if you want to enjoy the great DVD collection of the hou...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
London
Reviewed March 21, 2012

The hostal is not right in teh centre but only a few minutes walk away. And the great view from the rooftop terrace makes up for that!
Very clean, nice rooms, comfy beds, nice own bathroom and very friendly encouraged staff. Given a map and recommendations on arrival. The kitchen the nicest I have come accross during my travels. Internet working too. Great place!!
On saturday is the market and I thought the animal market was actually the most exciting part.
The walk around the laguna Cuicocha was a lovely 3.5 hours walk (if you are a fast walker). Definitely woth it. And Parque Condor was worth a visit too.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo