“Clearly a Hot Spot!”

Ranked #6 of 525 Restaurants in Guayaquil
Cuisines: Ecuadorean
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: “La Canoa” has become an icon for tourist and locals alike who wish to sample and discover the best of the authentic local fare, Ecuadorian food at its finest. We receive an average of 48 thousand visitors each year; this year we will have awarded 11,315 days of straight, un-interrupted, 24 hour attention which is truly a record in the city’s Gastronomical circles. At “La Canoa” you can enjoy a buffet breakfast in Native Fashion or American style with a wide choice of tropical fruits, cereals, dairy products, sausage and meat products, without overlooking an old Guayaquil habit of starting the day with a “caldo de salchicha” or sausage soup or encebollado de albacora” which would be a tuna soup. These cannot be passed up!
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We read about this cafe in our Lonely Planet so stumbled in after our flight from the Galapagos. We were surprised to find it the place to be in town - filled with snazzily dressed locals. The food was great - and the portions generous.

1  Thank Bronwen F
Write a ReviewReviews (1,176)

Reviewed February 13, 2014

Ohhh yum, the plantain cheese empanadas were excellent, love the hot sauces, picantes. Had the pollo con arroz, would recommend. Huge selection of all natural fruit juices, watermelon was excellent as was the passion fruit juegos. Highly recommend for a quick, easy, cheap meal.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

To me this is the best restaurant offering gourmet style local food, you definetly need to try the ceviche of fish, the caldo the bola and the bolones......well worth is specially if staying at the hotel there (continental)....i just lovef it

Reviewed January 12, 2014

A popular restaurant with excellent food. Rather pricey by Ecuadorian standards, but not outrageous... sometimes it is true that "you get what you pay for". We would eat here again if we were to return to Guayaquil.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

A friend and I ate at this restaurant in August and were sorry we did. The food was average but the service was beyond poor. I asked the waiter for a recommendation and he suggested the most expensive item on the menu -- not much thought in that! When I decided on something else he treated us as an inconvenience. He didn't bother to bring the roasted corn to the table that everyone else received, and he served my desert before my main course,. I've been in a lot of greasy spoons in my day, but never a place that treated me with contempt. As for the food, it was average but over priced. Otherwise, the restaurant is a pleasant room seemingly patronized by business people, hotel guests and middle class couples. I would suggest they exercise better supervision over their wait staff,