See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed November 19, 2009

I stay here often because it is close to a large mall and to my business partners. It is nothing special but good value for what you do get. Clean and comfortable. A short walk to the mall.

Date of stay: October 2009
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
3  Thank parkerdick
Reviewed May 1, 2007

The Suite Los Soles is a multistory hotel within a couple of miles of the Guayaquil airport. I stayed there during the DAY (read further) of 17 April 2007.

Coordinates: Cuidadela Vernaza Norte MZ 17 V.3, Guayaquil; phone (+593) 229-11-52; fax 229-06-01. lossolesgye@satnet.net.

Why the day, not the night: My brand-new Ecuadorian fiancee and I had to travel to Guayaquil so that I could catch my red-eye flight at 1 a.m. on April 18. We needed an air-conditioned base of operations for the day. After flying from Cuenca to Guayaquil, we consulted a taxi driver, who took us straight to the Suite Los Soles. We were there from around 9 a.m. till 11 p.m.

The hotel stands on the quiet corner of a street in a mixed residential/light-business neighborhood. There is no apparent signage. The quiet, unmarked entrance (past some trees and over a rock garden) consists of two heavy iron gates, which must be unlocked from the inside after one rings a buzzer. The staff came out, took our bags, and unlocked the hotel's entrance a few feet beyond the gates.

The lobby is small and unobtrusive, with two comfortable couches, a coffee table, and a surprisingly small work area for the desk clerk. My fiancee spoke Spanish with the nice clerk, who confirmed a $36 rate. (The place does not take credit cards, but they can deal with $50 bills. Ecuador uses the U.S. dollar.) Another staffer carried our bags (including my 50-lb. Bagzilla) up a staircase to the 3rd floor.

The room was quite pleasant, even amazing -- well-lit, spacious, and (thank you!) with a WORKING air conditioner that quickly cooled the room to 16 C. (its lowest setting). The clean linoleum bedroom floor and the tiled bathroom floor were sparkling-white. This room (#301) had two single beds separated by a nightstand; there was a large closet, a round table with two chairs and a small vase of fake flowers, and a kitchen area (counter, sink, and cabinets) for long-term visitors. There was plenty of room in which to strew luggage and still be able to walk around.

The bathroom was rather small, with the typical sink-only structure common to Ecuador (no real room to set toiletries), but there was a toothbrush-holder and a cup-holder. The water pressure in the toilet was fine, and the toilet paper -- while still not as strong as we in the U.S. are used to -- was adequate. The bath towels were actually substantial and "U.S.-sized," and one was quite fluffy. As is usual in Ecuador, only bath and hand towels were provided (no washcloths). The shower had a REAL showerhead (not one of these perpendicular-to-the-floor electric heads), and the shower control actually allowed for hot water (but who needs it in Ecuador?). The sink had two knobs (one for hot water, one for cold), but no hot water came from the "hot" side. (Again, who needs hot water EVER in Ecuador?) And, dig this: a FULL-sized bar of soap was provided. Not even most U.S. hotels do that.

The bedroom and kitchen had plenty of extra electrical outlets (thank you!). Ecuador and the U.S. use the same electrical current.

My fiancee and I briefly napped on the beds, which were firm and comfortable, with spotless linens and good pillows. A TV was mounted in the top corner of the room.

Security was excellent and a priority. The entry procedure is described above; upon our exiting the hotel, the desk clerk collected our key, and he returned it to us when we came back. The area seemed safe, but these folks took no chances. Our room was very quiet but for some carpenters doing work outside; this would not be a problem during the night.

The only real drawback to the place -- and I admit that I didn't scope the neighborhood much -- was the seeming lack of much around it. Around the corner on the main street were a couple of small shops (one a pharmacy) where one could get drinks, snacks, and staples, but I did not see (or look for) restaurants. The hotel is a short taxi-drive ($1) from a large mall with a massive food court, and a casino across from the mall, so finding sustenance or entertainment would never be inconvenient or time-consuming.

At checkout time, the nice clerk called us a cab and thanked us wholeheartedly, as we did him. He even carried Bagzilla downstairs for me. From start to finish, my fiancee and I were very well pleased... and all this was for only $36.

Summary: Excellent service; fine proximity to the airport and to food/entertainment; security is a priority; and the aspects and amenities would hold their own if this were a U.S. hotel. I would stay here again in a heartbeat, and I heartily recommend the Suite Los Soles to you.

31  Thank TBoneTX