Casa de Romero B&B
$89
Unipark by Oro Verde Hotels(Guayaquil)
$84
$71
$61
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscouple nightsrecommend highlyseventh floorcommon areashot watertwo nightscomfortable roomsromeowifitaxicitymaleconperuairportsecuritysoap
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Excellent central location, this guest house is a very affordable option for a quick night or two. I went for one night after arriving in Ecuador before continuing on to the Galapagos Islands. The rooms were very basic, but I did have a private bathroom. They offer complimentary breakfast (coffee/tea, toast, eggs & juice), free wifi internet (the modem had to be reset every so often), optional laundry service, and friendly helpful staff.
They offer a $10 taxi service from the airport, BUT if you simply take a yellow taxi from the airport it is safe, efficient and only $5.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank hazenyc
Reviewed November 10, 2012

My fiancee and I were looking for hotel close to the American consulate in Guayaquil. I read the reviews about Casa de Romero and figured I could trust my fellow Tripadvisor's opinions, so we decided to stay there. It was a great choice. Casa de Romero had someone meet us at the airport. The office is on the 7th floor, but the rooms are on the 3rd floor. Security is not a problem as there is a watchman on the ground floor and two locked doors you must navigate on the third. The rooms are very nice and clean. The common room has a television and a computer for internet access. The rooms themselves do not have a television. The bathrooms are excellent with plenty of hot water. Since the hotel is located downtown it does get a little noisey and you'll hear plenty of cars honking their horns day and night, but the air conditioner can drown them out if you've got it cranked up. There are plenty of restaurants within walking distance: Burger King, McDonald's, Pizza Hut, two KFC's, and my favorite... Minestras del Negro. If you want a good pork chop dinner, choose this place. There is even a 4-screen theater a couple of blocks away. Not a lot of shopping opportunities... you'll need to take a taxi to one of the several malls or to the Artisan's Market. We stayed at Casa de Romero for five days and would definitely stay there again in the future.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bencart
Reviewed October 29, 2012

They do have street noise. The floors are separated. I am not impressed by Guayaquil, but if one must spend the night this is not a bad option. The girls that work there are friendly and helpful. The breakfast is eggs and toast with jam. The coffee and juice are good. The ladies we saw gave us maps and told us where the local attractions were on the map. They gladly called cabs for us and gave us tips and warnings. The rooms were clean, the linens fresh, the air conditioners worked well and the internet was fast. The showers were clean and hot, the bathrooms nice.

Room Tip: The 7th floor might be quieter than the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Matthew D
Reviewed September 28, 2012

It is very close to the main attractions of the city...!! It is decorated nicely! You can get to the malecon and Cerro Santa Ana Easily... There are some problems though... I found this part of the city particularly crowded and noisy! The horns of the cars sound all of the time! So if you want to rest is difficult! the other problem is that they put us on different floors because the hostel is distributed between different floors...

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank AlejandroFlores
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I'm not kidding - those were the exact words my wife used to describe Casa de Romero.

We'd just come off a long, uncomfortable bus ride and when we walked in the door of the hostel and saw the great decor, comfortable couches, great sitting area and spacious rooms were thrilled. The hostel didn't disappoint us once over our three night stay.

Special mention should go to the staff members there - we found each and every one of them to be friendly and helpful. The showers worked great and were always hot. The WIFI worked great. The kitchen was large and well appointed. The breakfasts were delicious and filling. The location was fantastic too. And the cleaning lady, I don't know her name - but wow does she work hard and do a great job. The place was always kept very clean.

A couple of final points - some posts have said the hostel is hard to find. There is a small sign at street level and, while it's hard to see, if you take a cab and have the address you should have no problem getting there.

It was a bit noisy when we were there, but that's because they were doing construction work on the street directly below the hostel. They seem to mainly work at night too. But this is a short-term problem and not directly attributable to the hostel (besides, soon you'll have brand new sidewalks to walk on!). :~)

I highly recommend this hostel for a great stay and a pretty reasonable price (for Guayaquil).

Room Tip: The hostel is on two floors of the building - the 7th and the 3rd. We never saw the 3rd floor rooms, but I recommend asking for a room on the 7th - that's where the kitchen, dining area and living room space are - I think you'll have a better experience there. But get one of the rooms down the hallway, not Room 4, which is right beside the front door and common areas so it can be noisier.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple