“Nice Staff, Adequate Breakfast”
Review of Casa de Romero B&B

Casa de Romero B&B
Ranked #4 of 77 Guayaquil B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 29, 2012

They do have street noise. The floors are separated. I am not impressed by Guayaquil, but if one must spend the night this is not a bad option. The girls that work there are friendly and helpful. The breakfast is eggs and toast with jam. The coffee and juice are good. The ladies we saw gave us maps and told us where the local attractions were on the map. They gladly called cabs for us and gave us tips and warnings. The rooms were clean, the linens fresh, the air conditioners worked well and the internet was fast. The showers were clean and hot, the bathrooms nice.

Room Tip: The 7th floor might be quieter than the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Matthew D

Reviewed September 28, 2012

It is very close to the main attractions of the city...!! It is decorated nicely! You can get to the malecon and Cerro Santa Ana Easily... There are some problems though... I found this part of the city particularly crowded and noisy! The horns of the cars sound all of the time! So if you want to rest is difficult! the other problem is that they put us on different floors because the hostel is distributed between different floors...

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank AlejandroFlores
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I'm not kidding - those were the exact words my wife used to describe Casa de Romero.

We'd just come off a long, uncomfortable bus ride and when we walked in the door of the hostel and saw the great decor, comfortable couches, great sitting area and spacious rooms were thrilled. The hostel didn't disappoint us once over our three night stay.

Special mention should go to the staff members there - we found each and every one of them to be friendly and helpful. The showers worked great and were always hot. The WIFI worked great. The kitchen was large and well appointed. The breakfasts were delicious and filling. The location was fantastic too. And the cleaning lady, I don't know her name - but wow does she work hard and do a great job. The place was always kept very clean.

A couple of final points - some posts have said the hostel is hard to find. There is a small sign at street level and, while it's hard to see, if you take a cab and have the address you should have no problem getting there.

It was a bit noisy when we were there, but that's because they were doing construction work on the street directly below the hostel. They seem to mainly work at night too. But this is a short-term problem and not directly attributable to the hostel (besides, soon you'll have brand new sidewalks to walk on!). :~)

I highly recommend this hostel for a great stay and a pretty reasonable price (for Guayaquil).

Room Tip: The hostel is on two floors of the building - the 7th and the 3rd. We never saw the 3rd floor rooms...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Casa de Romero is not overly difficult to find as some have reported, there is signage out the front of the building. The B&B is a relaxing, peaceful place with incredibly helpful and accommodating staff who can advise on restaurant and local travel options. The whole place has modern furnishings and design and is very clean. We had an en suite with private bathroom with a really great, hot shower, AC and a balcony view of the city. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2012

My taxi driver had some difficulties finding Casa de Romero and me getting inside this apartment-hostel on the 7th floor. After having rung the bell a hundred times another traveller opened the door for me that looked like crime in Guayaquil made high security locking a must. Travellers worrying about safety will feel at ease.

In fact, Guayaquil seemed to be less dangerous than most people think. I never took a taxi and walked around even at night. I wasn´t even given strange looks. The location is great since all interesting places and the Malecón are within walking distance. Plus a huge supermarket just across the street.

Casa de Romero offers nice and clean accommodation furnished and decorated in an ecclectic style - partly romantic, partly modern. My first time sleeping in pitch-black linen. While other rooms are adorned with black flower wall tattoos, in my room Buddha calmed me down and watched me sleeping at night.

Breakfast was saturating since it included eggs and the bread was a lot better than at most other places in Ecuador. All in all, it is good value for money.

Only one minor con: the reception should be constantly staffed, please. I have been looking around the whole place for staff members more than once.

I could leave my valuables in a safety box (always a relief to me) and my big suitcase in their storage room when I set off for the coast spending three nights in Puerto Lopez with my small backpack only - very convenient. Thanks a lot again:0)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank roamingqueen
Reviewed July 30, 2012

The hostel is located in two different appartments of a large building. There is a nicely furnished livingroom-area. Our room was equipped with a comfortabel bed, A/C, enough space to place your things and a good bathroom. Breakfast is served on the floor where the reception is and it's quite delicious. The friendly staff gave us a good city map and explained about things to do and see – very helpful!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ChMBK
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We stayed here twice, before we went to the Galapagos and when we got back, two nights each time. It is a great place. An apartment converted to a B&B, really nice safe and homely feel.

We dealt mainly with Andrea, she seems to work most days. She is excellent. Great with the emails and very helpful once you are there. There are a variety of rooms to choose from. We were in one that had a double and two singles. We only used the double bed though. The place is very clean, the bathrooms are great, hot water supply is consistent. As for noise is truly isn't that bad, the place is on the 7th floor, there is some traffic noise but for my partner he slept well. For me (i'm the light sleeper) a pair of earplugs and it was fine. The Aircons work well. The only noisy room would be the twin (without bathroom) near the front door. The rest of the rooms are down the hall, but this one is next to the front door and breakfast/common TV lounge area.

The breakfast is good, nice bread, jam, coffee, juice and eggs were offered to us most mornings except our last, Andrea wasn't there so I'm not sure if the other girl makes eggs or not. There is a washer and dryer there so you can do you're own washing for small price $3 wash, $3 dry.

The place is located only a few blocks away from things and for the price it is amazing! We could not find better. There is loads of restaurants nearby, the Malecon 2000, short walk to the old area of town and lighthouse. There is many many banks nearby so loads of ATMS to choose from, we had trouble with our card so found the bigger banks didn't work for us, but Banco Internacional (no fees for withdrawing, max $400) and Banco Boliviano ($2 fee for withdrawal, max $300) worked for us. However if Bank with Pacific in the name works for you it is the best 50c fee and you can withdrawal $600. It didn't work for us.

There is also a supermarket across the street too and loads of agents nearby to scope out last minute galapagos trips. We got some office locations from Andrea.

Safe and easy to find. Most taxis seemed to know it, but just keep the street address so they can drop you off at the right corner. Then the entrance is next to a local sandwich/lunch/dinner shop. It is second from the corner, the entrance has a door surrounded by bars and there is a foyer and lift inside. Normally someone is sitting there who will confirm it is the right place. Also if you arrive very early (before 8am I think) or after 7pm the front is locked, so make sure you confirm an arrival time with the staff if you are coming at these hours.

Overall, great value for money, conveniently located, and helpful staff. Recommended highly.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple