“Worst Customer Service”
Review of Unipark Hotel

Unipark Hotel
Ranked #8 of 62 Hotels in Guayaquil
Reviewed June 16, 2012

The customer service at this hotel is appalling. I was attempting to make a very early flight out of Ecuador and had already paid for the hotel on Hotels.com. I had informed them the evening before that I needed to check out early, that I had already paid for the room, and was advised that I needed to do this in the morning, not to worry. In the morning there was one agent at the desk attempting to help 3 groups of people. He was completely disinterested in his job, moving as slowly as possible. I told him that I was going to miss my flight, that I had already paid, and I needed to leave. It was impossible to leave the hotel without a receipt from him. When he finally waited on me, half an hour later (it was 3:30am) I was accused of taking gin from the mini bar. I was forced to wait while a porter went to the room to check. I was not even aware of the minibar as it was never shown to me when I checked in. I will NEVER use this hotel again and I would advise you against using this hotel too.

Room Tip: Go the Hotel Grand Guayaquil instead. They have a nice restaurant.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank YvonneB288
Mauricio P, Director of Sales at Unipark Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

We are really sorry about the inconvenience during your stay. We have taken care of this situation and hope to have the opportunity to have you as our guest in the near future again. If possible I would like to have your personal mailing address.

Mauricio

Reviewed May 3, 2012

We had been staying at a "guesthouse" nearby but came across the Unipark Hotel while walking around in the area. The price at Unipark, which included an all you can eat breakfast, was lower than at the guesthouse. We promptly packed our things and relocated. The hotel is very clean with an abundance of staff, our room comfortable with 2 double beds, a tub with shower and very chilly A/C. The concierge desk, located at street level, were very helpful with information, taxi, and baggage transfer. The staff at the check in desk, located one slight up were professional but a bit lacking in friendliness. We never did figure out how to regulate the A/C do we shut it off when it got too cold; always grateful for A/C in Guayaquil. The restaurant has a great buffet breakfast with wonderful fresh bread you get to slice off from the loaf and made to order eggs. There is also a Deli that serves up fabulous sandwiches and the best artisan breads around.

• Stayed: April 2012

Dear guest:

Thank you for your comment, we are glad to heard you enjoyed your stay with us.

Please viist us soon again

Reviewed February 2, 2012

We stayed at Unipark twice, at either end of our trip to Ecuador. It's a strange setup, with the hotel owning two hotels either side of a shopping mall.

This meant that when we checked in, fairly late in the evening, we first had to go to reception, then trundle our cases through a closed shopping centre to get to the other side of the hotel. The second tower doesn't have a manned reception, just a lift, and it felt a little abandoned (although there was a security guard on the door of the shopping mall).

As we were honeymooning, the hotel upgraded us to a suite free of charge. This was very generously-sized, with a large bedroom (with king sized bed), bathroom, dressing/closet area and lounge. However, the decor was very dated and the carpet quite dirty.

However, the hotel is very well-located, right across from Iguana Park, and a few minutes' walk from the Malecon. Reception staff were friendly, the breakfast buffet was excellent, with plenty of choice, and there was free wifi in the room and reception, and we got picked up at the airport.

For our second stay, we were given another suite, this time on one of the refurbished floors. This was lovely, with clean carpets, a fresh and modern look, well-designed bathroom and dressing room, and big white duvets. I assume the intention is to refurb all the rooms in such a way - if so, this will be a really good hotel.

So, in summary: this was a good enough place to stay, but would be much improved if a) all the rooms were refurbished to the same standard; and b) we didn't have to walk through a shopping mall to get to our room.

Room Tip: Try and get one of the refurbished rooms - they're MUCH nicer
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank AuntieMabel

Dear guest, thank you very much for your comment, we are working hard on the renovation of the hotel rooms, hope you can visit us again soon.

Reviewed November 26, 2011

I have stayed at the Hotel Unipark for a one night stopover on my way to Galapagos. The airport pick-up and drop-off has worked properly. The room is spacious. The Corniche is only two blocks away and in front of the hotel is a small park with plenty of iguanas. I was surprised about the fabulous breakfast - huge choice and delicous.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank laendersammler
Mauricio P, Director of Sales at Unipark Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2011

Dear guest: thank you very much for your comments, we are pleased to know you enjoyed your stay with us , hope you visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

Very comfortable and spacious room with a wonderful view of Iguana Park and the Cathedral, both across the the street. Great location a short walk from the wonderful Malecón 2000 riverwalk and several museums and other public spaces and sights.
Fabulous breakfast (included). Free airport transfers with excellent service.
Air conditioning in room worked well, but the thermostat did not permit fine adjustments in temperature. Street traffic noise during the afternoon can be a bit loud, but nights were quiet.

Room Tip: Upper floors might be quieter than lower, especially during rush hour.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Harvey_in_Middletown
Mauricio P, Director of Sales at Unipark Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2011

Dear guest: thank you very much for your comments, We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to have you as our guest again in the near future.
We are making some renovations and soon we will start working on the windows to reduce the noise.
I invite you to visit our new Signature Floor during your next stay, I am sure you will enjoy it.

Reviewed August 10, 2011

Clean, large rooms. Only one bottle of water left per room (you can't drink the tap water in Guayaquil) - it would have been nice if they left at least 2 bottles (one per person at least). Location is good - right across from the iguana park and walking distance from the Malacon - but we were told not to wander around after dark. Fitness room is very nice with bikes, treadmills, weights, hot tub, etc.. Breakfast has lots of fresh fruit, juices, pastries, eggs made to order, and other hot items. No decaf coffee (other than nescafe) but that's common for the area. I'd say breakfast was the best thing about the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Dear guest: thank you very much for your comments we are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to have you as our guest again in the near future.

Reviewed July 15, 2011

called at 10:30pm and told i needed to come to the desk they couldnot find my credit card paper with my bill i planed to stay for three days and this was known.i feel this mix up could have waited untill the am.also look out for rate change.one other thing asked about free van to airport i was told we would have to pay for each person takeing the van or get a cab

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank aam38

Dear guest: thank you very much for your comments, sorry for the inconvenience , but I really hope you enjoyed your stay with us and have the opportunity to have you as our guest again in the near future.
As you mentioned, our free transportation service is from the Airport to the hotel, the transfer out, will be charged to the guest if requested.