“Decent and well priced”

Hotel Oro Verde Guayaquil
Ranked #3 of 62 Hotels in Guayaquil
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Let me start this review by saying we didn't stay in our room very much. In fact we weren't in the city of Guayaquil but for two nights. During those two nights we stayed at the Hotel Oro Verde. The hotel is located in the very busy downtown area. The surroundings do seem to get a bit sketchy at night and we were warned not to venture too far from the hotel. The American Consulate is right next door. There was a smell I just couldn't pin point during our stay. All the hallways smelled like varnish or some sort of treated finish on wood. Our room was clean and modern. The staff was very pleasant, in fact everyone we met was very nice. I would definitely recommend this hotel, especially since the price was great!
On our last night someone started playing very loud music around 5am (the local radio station) we called down to the front desk and within 5 minutes the music was gone. We were travelling with our 4 month old and they set up a cute pack and play in the room although we never used it. I truly felt like the staff went out of their way to always anticipate our needs.

Room Tip: Try to choose a room on a high floor since the noise from the street travels up.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Vasco B, General Manager at Hotel Oro Verde Guayaquil, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Dear Trvl_Prncss,

thank you for your review and please allow me to apologize for the odors your perceived. We were incurring in some refurbishing work and I regret the inconveniences that may have caused you. I will share your comments with my team and thank you for having preferred us.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Stayed one night after returning from the Galapagos Islands. Share the views of other reviewers. Excellent centrally located hotel next to the American Consulate with fast and free wifi and helpful staff. Excellent breakfast facilities. Better for flying back to Europe to Amsterdam than Quito as others had to fly down from Quito first before flying on to Amsterdam. Modern airport although the KLM lounge is very limited in terms of food variety and no free alcoholic beverages.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Vasco B, General Manager at Hotel Oro Verde Guayaquil, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Dear edm0n,

thank you very much for your kind review. We are happy you enjoyed your breakfast and hope you had a fantastic experience in the Enchanted Islands.

Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

We were very impressed with this hotel. The staff were attentive without being all over you. The reception area very spacious and gives a great first impression. Rooms comfortable. Only there one night but it did the job.

• Stayed: May 2013

Dear Woolpack L,

thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at the Oro Verde with Tripadvisor. We hope you may stay longer during your next visit to Guayaquil.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

I stayed here recently and had a good-sized room with coffee maker and TV. Internet access was available via a code which you could use in your room, which was essential as I had problems with my return flights during my trip, and these needed to be sorted out. However, because of these problems, I also needed to make both national and international telephone calls....and it was in this respect that I think the hotel is seriously deficient. I found that, after repeatedly trying to get a line as per the instructions printed on the phone apparatus in the room, that one could not make calls from the room, but had to go down to the Business Centre near the Lobby to do this. Since this was in the early hours of the morning, and I was a lone female traveller, this was inconvenient to put it mildly. The ladies in the Business Centre were very helpful and, indeed, allowed me to make one local call free of charge since I was clearly in trouble...however, the two short international calls made subsequently were charged at 40 dollars for the two. I would not even have minded this had I been able to make the calls from my room, something I have been able to do throughout the world. This was a first and completely beyond me. Had I been booked into some soetmof no-phone zone by my travel company? Who knows...it really is completely inexplicable to me to have been put in such a position. Another thing to note is that the hotel, a Leading Hotel of the World, no less. - is situated in downtown Guyaquil. It was impressed upon me by the guide who dropped me off at the hotel from the airport that in NO circumstances should I turn left outside of the hotel...and that the park three blocks away to the right was about 'it' if I wanted to do anything other than sit in my room waiting for my return flight to the UK the next evening...There are apparently guided tours one can take but I didn't take advantage of these. So...be warned! A lovely hotel but with a couple of distinct negatives....

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Vasco B, General Manager at Hotel Oro Verde Guayaquil, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Dear Llamas 2011,

I am sorry to hear that your guide's recommendations made you feel unsafe. As in any large city in the world, certain precautions must be taken when visiting certain areas of Guayaquil, specially by night. Your guide may have been overly cautious, as the Parque Centenario is visited by many of our guests during the day without any inconveniences. Regarding the phone charges, I apologize for our inability to explain that credit needs to be opened at Front Desk for the room telephone lines to be opened. Should you return to Guayaquil, please do let me know so I may assist you in discovering some of its tourist attractions.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Oro Verde for three nights during our Honeymoon in Ecuador. Although on the expensive side, Hotel Oro Verde was worth the price tag and does offer a weekend discounted rate on their website. Guests are provided with a coupon for a free welcome drink upon arriving. My only complaint was that the wifi would not work in our room. My wife and I enjoyed all the amenities including the business center since we didn't bring computers, the pool, the fitness center with jacuzzis and saunas, as well as the restaurants. We enjoyed cheese fondue at La Fondue, our last night in Guayaquil.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Vasco_v_Baselli, General Manager at Hotel Oro Verde Guayaquil, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Dear SGilbert1,

thank you very much for your kind review and feedback on your stay at the Oro Verde Guayaquil. I am very happy your time with us and its a pleasure to inform you that we are currently in the process of refurbishing our pool area and leisure facilities, which I hope you will enjoy at your next visit.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Hotel Oro Verde in Guayaquil, Ecuador. This hotel is great! The room was spacious and clean. The beds were cozy. We had a welcome cocktail. We were close to some of the sights in the city that were within walking distance. The service was outstanding. We were staying there before and after a trip to the Galapagos Islands and this hotel provided a great send-off for a wonderful trip. The Patio Restaurant, located in the lobby, served a wonderful breakfast, with made-to-order omelets. The Gourmet Deli, also in the lobby, had scrumptious desserts. I definitely will stay here if I return.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 6th floor; I think each floor has its own decor. We had a view of the pool and s...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Dear nightingale 1972,

thank you for your review and we are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us. We will make sure to have some desserts ready for you for your next visit to Guayaquil!

Reviewed June 23, 2013

I have been three times now in the Oro Verde, and you can't go wrong with this hotel. Attentive staff, very good service, very nice and spacious rooms, great breakfast buffet (though a little bit on the pricy side) , quiet though very centrally located and though on weekends they have on the second floor weddings and parties with loud music, but if you are on the upper floors you hear absolutely nothing. Walking distance to the Malecon down the main shopping street about 15 minutes. Two very good upscale restaurants, one gourmet style in a very elaborate old fashioned style, one Suisse chalet like one, very nice and cosy bar with often live music where you probably will stay after having sipped you complementary drink. I always stayed for conferences with unbeatable prices, check on internet what it is for a normal stay. In any case my favorite hotel in Guayaquil.

Room Tip: The higher the better
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Vasco_v_Baselli, General Manager at Hotel Oro Verde Guayaquil, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear Hape 007,

thank you very much for sharing your experiences at the Oro Verde with the TripAdvisor Community. We look forward to welcoming you back and please let us know if you wish to have a room on a higher floor.