“Mainly very good, but one surprising negative....” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Oro Verde Guayaquil

Hotel Oro Verde Guayaquil
Ranked #3 of 59 Hotels in Guayaquil
London, United Kingdom
“Mainly very good, but one surprising negative....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

I stayed here recently and had a good-sized room with coffee maker and TV. Internet access was available via a code which you could use in your room, which was essential as I had problems with my return flights during my trip, and these needed to be sorted out. However, because of these problems, I also needed to make both national and international telephone calls....and it was in this respect that I think the hotel is seriously deficient. I found that, after repeatedly trying to get a line as per the instructions printed on the phone apparatus in the room, that one could not make calls from the room, but had to go down to the Business Centre near the Lobby to do this. Since this was in the early hours of the morning, and I was a lone female traveller, this was inconvenient to put it mildly. The ladies in the Business Centre were very helpful and, indeed, allowed me to make one local call free of charge since I was clearly in trouble...however, the two short international calls made subsequently were charged at 40 dollars for the two. I would not even have minded this had I been able to make the calls from my room, something I have been able to do throughout the world. This was a first and completely beyond me. Had I been booked into some soetmof no-phone zone by my travel company? Who knows...it really is completely inexplicable to me to have been put in such a position. Another thing to note is that the hotel, a Leading Hotel of the World, no less. - is situated in downtown Guyaquil. It was impressed upon me by the guide who dropped me off at the hotel from the airport that in NO circumstances should I turn left outside of the hotel...and that the park three blocks away to the right was about 'it' if I wanted to do anything other than sit in my room waiting for my return flight to the UK the next evening...There are apparently guided tours one can take but I didn't take advantage of these. So...be warned! A lovely hotel but with a couple of distinct negatives....

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Vasco B, General Manager at Hotel Oro Verde Guayaquil, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear Llamas 2011,

I am sorry to hear that your guide's recommendations made you feel unsafe. As in any large city in the world, certain precautions must be taken when visiting certain areas of Guayaquil, specially by night. Your guide may have been overly cautious, as the Parque Centenario is visited by many of our guests during the day without any inconveniences. Regarding the phone charges, I apologize for our inability to explain that credit needs to be opened at Front Desk for the room telephone lines to be opened. Should you return to Guayaquil, please do let me know so I may assist you in discovering some of its tourist attractions.

Vasco v. Baselli

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Korean first
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Oro Verde for three nights during our Honeymoon in Ecuador. Although on the expensive side, Hotel Oro Verde was worth the price tag and does offer a weekend discounted rate on their website. Guests are provided with a coupon for a free welcome drink upon arriving. My only complaint was that the wifi would not work in our room. My wife and I enjoyed all the amenities including the business center since we didn't bring computers, the pool, the fitness center with jacuzzis and saunas, as well as the restaurants. We enjoyed cheese fondue at La Fondue, our last night in Guayaquil.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Vasco_v_Baselli, General Manager at Hotel Oro Verde Guayaquil, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear SGilbert1,

thank you very much for your kind review and feedback on your stay at the Oro Verde Guayaquil. I am very happy your time with us and its a pleasure to inform you that we are currently in the process of refurbishing our pool area and leisure facilities, which I hope you will enjoy at your next visit.

Terre Haute, Indiana, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Hotel Oro Verde in Guayaquil, Ecuador. This hotel is great! The room was spacious and clean. The beds were cozy. We had a welcome cocktail. We were close to some of the sights in the city that were within walking distance. The service was outstanding. We were staying there before and after a trip to the Galapagos Islands and this hotel provided a great send-off for a wonderful trip. The Patio Restaurant, located in the lobby, served a wonderful breakfast, with made-to-order omelets. The Gourmet Deli, also in the lobby, had scrumptious desserts. I definitely will stay here if I return.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 6th floor; I think each floor has its own decor. We had a view of the pool and s...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Vasco B, General Manager at Hotel Oro Verde Guayaquil, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear nightingale 1972,

thank you for your review and we are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us. We will make sure to have some desserts ready for you for your next visit to Guayaquil!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

I have been three times now in the Oro Verde, and you can't go wrong with this hotel. Attentive staff, very good service, very nice and spacious rooms, great breakfast buffet (though a little bit on the pricy side) , quiet though very centrally located and though on weekends they have on the second floor weddings and parties with loud music, but if you are on the upper floors you hear absolutely nothing. Walking distance to the Malecon down the main shopping street about 15 minutes. Two very good upscale restaurants, one gourmet style in a very elaborate old fashioned style, one Suisse chalet like one, very nice and cosy bar with often live music where you probably will stay after having sipped you complementary drink. I always stayed for conferences with unbeatable prices, check on internet what it is for a normal stay. In any case my favorite hotel in Guayaquil.

Room Tip: The higher the better
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Vasco_v_Baselli, General Manager at Hotel Oro Verde Guayaquil, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Hape 007,

thank you very much for sharing your experiences at the Oro Verde with the TripAdvisor Community. We look forward to welcoming you back and please let us know if you wish to have a room on a higher floor.

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

We had checked into a dump that we both knew we couldn't spend a night in so we checked Trip Advisor and found Oro Verde. Fortunately, they had a room for us and it was WONDERFUL. They included two complimentary cocktails, kept the pool open for us and generally treated us like royalty.

Our room was beautiful - clear, comfortable beds and all the enmities.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Hervey Bay, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

My wife and I were originally booked, paid and confirmed to stay at the Hilton. However, on arrival were were told they were booked out and we had no reservation. Our guide was amazed and then called the Oro Verde and obtained us a 2 room suite. We were overwhelmed by the service we received . The staff were excellent. On arrival we had complementary drinks free Mini bar and an unbelievable suite. It was very comfortable and also had a great bed. We stayed 2 nights prior to out trip to Galapagos and then returned for another 2 nights afterwards. We really thank the Hilton as we believe they did us a favor and we stayed at the better hotel.

Also its location was a bonus as it was walking distance to all the attractions we intended to visit.

Room Tip: From our experience any room would be fine.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Cape Coral, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

My wife and I were on our way to Galapagos Islands for a week long dive trip. So all we really wanted was to get to and from the airport in a timely fashion and get a bit of sleep. Wow !!! were we surprised and impressed. Very much old world charm, 2 complimentary drinks in a very relaxing bar area with settling live music. A FREE overwhelming breakfast. Omelet table, all kind of breads and pastries, on and on and on. And wonderful service. They made sure we got on the correct shuttle in the AM by actually checking our flight so there was no confusion with different languages. Then when my wife left a wake up call which she didn't answer because she had gotten in the shower the actually sent someone to the room to be sure everything was ok. We have lots of others their way.

Coconut Pete

Room Tip: I have no idea. We just wanted to sleep but what they gave us was fine with me.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Coconut Pete,

thank you very much for your kind review and we are very hapy you enjoyed your stay with us.