“Modern, comfortable hotel with good restaurants and amenities.”

Hilton Colon Guayaquil
Ranked #9 of 62 Hotels in Guayaquil
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We stayed here two nights on our way to and from the Galapagos. We arrived on an overnight flight from JFK and our room was available when we arrived at 9:00 a.m. It was clean, spacious, well appointed and had a great view of the city with ocean beyond. Not having much incentive to explore the city in view of the hotel's security warnings, we had a delightful day enjoying the expansive pool (with swim-up bar and submerged bar stools), a fitness center that must have been equipped by a Life-Cycle salesman with a blank check, and sampling three of the five (or more?) on-site restaurants. One is a 24-hour buffet that includes a vast array of nearly every food type imaginable, including eggs Benedict an in every other possible form, a carving bar, local cheeses, breads and pastries, tropical fruits and juices, and all sorts of local dishes. We also tried the excellent Susi bar and the grill room. For those so inclined, there is also a connected high-end shopping mall, with Cartier and similar cachet vendors. The hotel has a beautiful spa facility but we did not try it. The only negative we experienced was that only the front desk staff seemed to speak any English, so we quickly learned not to frustrate ourselves and the other employees by asking questions.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 31, 2011

We spent one night here and the service was wonderful. The room was spacious and well laid out. The breakfast buffet was extraordinary with eggs benedict, numerous types of breads, fruit, meat, fish, and even peanut butter. I can not think of anything else that possible could have been at the buffet. Wonderful place to stay

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 24, 2011

An excellent place to stay between flights. The location is very convenient to the airport, although it is not in an area in which you want to go out and take a walk. They can arrange for tours of the riverfront area, which is quite attractive. A bit noisy on weekend evenings but beds are comfortable and the rooms have safes. The swimming pool area is attractive, but could use a bit more shade. My one complaint is that there seems to be no way in which they can be contacted by email. They have a shuttle from the airport; however it requires a reservation. Neither I nor my travel agent were successful in figuring out how to make one, since there is no on-line link. Fortuitously, when we arrived at the airport the shuttle was there waiting for someone else.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 19, 2011

I stayed in the hotel over a long weekend. Hotel is very well located just a few minutes by taxi from the airport and very close to 2 big shopping centers. Rooms are clean and well equipped. The executive floor rooms are in the upper floors of the hotel that guaranty you a fantastic view over the city by night. Food is just amazing, the selection on the breakfast buffet is huge and tasty just as the lunch buffet. Also the steak at the steak house was perfectly grilled. You also should try the snacks they offer at the take away shop Sal y Pimienta, a nice variety of tasty sandwiches and sweets either to eat directly there or to take with you when you go out to a trip. The service starting from the check in to the service in the restaurants and pool was very good, always friendly and very helpful with a good level of English what is not normal in Latin America even in hotels in this category. All around a perfect weekend.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 13, 2011

I had an excellent experience with Hilton Colon during my last trip in September. Upon my visit to Guayaquil the Hotel picked me up from the Airport and the check-in process was a breeze. I was also given complementary coupon for a Drink and 2 passes for the Oktober Festival that was going on during that time. Clean rooms as usual.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 7, 2011

This Hotel is a good example of the Hilton brand as far as everything else is concerned, EXCEPT and this is a HUGE EXCEPT, for the fact that on weekends at night the bar plays live music that is SOOOO loud I couldn´t sleep on the 6th floor!!!
We stayed on the 3rd floor and it was so absurd we couldn´t hear the TV over the music!!!! I am not exagerating! I started calling at 9pm and finally gave up at around 11pm, during this time I called 5 times and held a total of 45 minutes! I spoke to the hotel night manager, the bar manager, EVERYONE, they all kept telling me yes we will turn it down right away and they never did!
The next morning I went to the day manager and he immediately moved me to the 6th floor, I figured that would be ok, but NOPE still couldn´t sleep!!! It is really absurd! Some hotel employees told me it was a really bad problem with all the guests but for some reason the hotel and bar administration couldn´t agree to trun it down???!!! I had prepayed the hotel, and so I couldn´t ask for a break, but I did eat at the restaurants and asked the hotel for some sort of compensation (expecting at least for the breakfasts to be comped) but they simply told me we´lll get back to you and upon check out they acted as if I never asked... I was SOOO ANGRY I just wanted to leave and never come back.

Room Tip: Stay as far away from elevators as possible
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 8, 2011

I'd rate it a 3.5 and have to round it up to a 4. To be fair, our two rooms were spacious, modern and tidy. The staff were pleasant and helpful. The location 10 minutes from the airport makes it convenient for transfers (arrange their shuttle service to meet you free of charge--the wrong taxi can be risky). The pool area is large and comfortable.

But the little things like shabby, stained carpets detract. Of their many restaurants, only the coffee shop and sandwich shop offer a la carte (not buffet) dinner on Sunday (no Sunday alcohol sales in Ecuador must kill the dinner business). Poorly stocked amenities on the Executive floors. Slow, slow service. Not exactly bargain prices... These things added up.

Room Tip: Better to have a room in the hall, not atrium, when the bar is open.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family