“Worst experience”

Ranked #14 of 59 Hotels in Guayaquil
Longueuil, Canada
“Worst experience”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

First, the reception allowed the same room to another person. Only bottles of wine the most expensive could be ordered (69 $ or 109$ each) We had to carry our luggages at check-out and the staff told us that they were under staff !!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Lorraine-Akel, Room Division Manager at Hampton Inn by Hilton Guayaquil-Downtown, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Richard L.

We are sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel, and we are always looking for ways to improve our customer experience. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. We again apologize for the inconveniences that you endured, if there is anything we can do to correct this please let us know. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Northampton, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We checked into the hotel with a medical problem and saw that there was a hotel doctor provided (at no charge). We called and the doctor came promptly, was completely professional, helpful, kind - accurately diagnosed, helped get us medication immediately - we were so appreciative and impressed. The rest of the staff was equally helpful and competent. Thank you!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Lorraine-Akel, Room Division Manager at Hampton Inn by Hilton Guayaquil-Downtown, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Thank you very much for your review, we feel so pleased about your comments, for us comments like yours have no price, you are our best promotion, service is our vocation!! Thank you for choosing us like your hotel in Guayaquil, we hope that you can visit us again
Somerset, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 15, 2014

A bit odd this one. Room was large, well equipped and very comfortable. So..... if you don't want to eat, then thoroughly recommended. When it comes to eating then there's a problem. Breakfast was just about adequate (ish) but we tried to have an evening meal and were presented with a very limited menu and no alcohol ( after 4 on sunday?!*), so finished up with the greasiest burger ever. So recommended for anorexics, but not for foodies or alcoholics!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear muscadet:

Thank you very much for share your comments, the Ecuadorian Government forbid the alcoholic sell on sundays after 4pm, about our menu, we are launching a new one on February, about the breakfast we have more variety that other regular Hamptons but thanks for your recommendations we are working on it
Guisborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 weeks in Nov-Dec. The hotel is situated in the downtown area, very close to the Malecon and Iguana Park and Las Penas. Disappointingly outside of the hotel there's only fast food type of eating places. The hotel restaurant is ok with a fairly good menu. Breakfast was acceptable with a fair variety including eggs to order. A better choice of cold savoury items would be an improvement to the ham and cheese. The rooms themselves are well furnished with plenty of storage space and safe but rather dated looking and the rooms have a dark appearance. The first room I had a damp smell about it, the fridge didnt work and the TV was unwatchable due to interference but the worse aspect was the constant noise of all the air conditioners outside. The room I was then offered was all in working order and though this time facing the main road was quiet enough even though despite saying it is so the windows are not soundproofed. All reception staff spoke good English and helpful. As well as an airport shuttle service the hotel has private taxis working for it and these are just the same price as the regular yellow ones. Wifi is included and is reliable and fast enough. Overall a comfortable stay but some cosmetic renovation would bring the rooms (and corridors) up to date.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank sparty328
Dear sparty328:

Thank you very much for share your comments with us, we really appreciate all the recommendations, on February we are launching the new menu in our restaurant, and we are planning a renovation, maybe for your next stay you can enjoy the new improvments, please come back soon!!
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 18, 2013

The attention and the service you receive here are first rate. Most of the staff speak English, which is great when you need a recomendation or directions. They walk you outside and tell the taxi driver where you are going so there is no miscommunication and no getting lost and they know almost all the taxi drivers so do not fear who you are getting into a cab with. The rooms are cleaned every day, are updated, and the food here very good. Room service is 24 hours. They have a sushi bar in the lobby that is pretty good! I was surprised at how good the sushi was for Ecuador (disclaimer: I am a New Yorker and spoiled by the sushi here). For a local Ecuadorian dish the Cerviche is also very good here.

We stayed here as a couple and the front desk sent someone to a local florist for me so I could get my fiancee a dozen roses. The service here is that good.

The bathroom, bed and linens were always immaculate and clean. The hot water was hot enough to take a steam bath. Why do I offer an opinion on these things? Hot water, clean linens and an updated immaculate hotel room are not the norm in Guayaquil. The Hamton Inn is in a great location. You are few blocks from Malecon 2000 and its great variety of things to do and see. There is shopping, cash machines and some of the best dining in Guayaquil in walking distance, and a beautiful provincial church a block away. I know where some of the other high end hotels are in Guayaquil and they are not in a location half as nice as the Hampton Inn. Although the Hampton Inn is in the middle of it all, you are just a 5-10 minute ride away from the airport.

Another asset for the Hampton Inn is the soundproof windows. No matter how busy the Avenue in front of the hotel was, I never felt like I was in the middle of one of the busiest sections of the City. My room, on the 4th floor, was very quiet night and day.

I recommend you try to upgrade and get a junior suite, the room has enough room for a stay of 3 nights or longer with a desk to work at and a table to eat at if you dont want to go out into Guayaquil. At night, I recommend you walk down to the Malecon 2000 and see the waterfront and the Ecuadorian life on display. I always like to wiegh the bad with the good when I write a review on Trip Advisor but I really have nothing bad to say about the Hampton Inn. Sometimes I surprise even myself.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Junior Suite
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Frank C
Dear FPMZC:

Thank you very much for your review, we feel more than pleased to have been a great experience during your stay in Guayaquil, you are so detailed in your comments about our property, service, staff, etc, thanks for taking the time to share about it we are speechless
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed December 14, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights before starting a tour of the Galapagos. I arrived at the hotel very late at night and the staff were very helpful and check in was quick. All the reception staff spoke excellent English and were happy to help with anything I needed, they even ordered my room service for me as the room service staff did not speak English, I just rang reception and they did it all for and then politely phoned back to let me know how long it would be.

The room I had was very large with a comfortable King bed, working AC, functional bathroom and TV. It was nothing special but clean and comfortable.

The whole hotel has high speed wi-fi which was great as I mostly spent time in my room as I wasn't very well.

They offer a complimentary hot breakfast to all guests which was good, lots of options, pasties, eggs, cereal, toast, waffles...

I felt safe in the area which was very bus but a good location.

The one issue I had was that my room smelt of cigarettes when I arrived, assuming I had been put in a smoking room I asked for a change, however the reception informed me that I was on a non-smoking floor and someone must have smoked in the room previously. They didn't have any rooms to move me to and were very sorry for the inconvenience.

All in all - great stay!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear Sophie G:

Thanks for your review and for choosing us like your hotel in Guayaquil, sorry about the smelt of cigarettes when you arrived I know that our staff made all the necesary to compensate you with amazing service :) we hope that you can visit us again!!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Do not expect a 5-star hotel or a room with a view. This is an inner-city property (nearby buildings are not maintained and there is a Kentucky Fried Chicken across the street) but it is sufficient for a quick stay with access to safe daytime walking. The Malecon is just a couple of blocks away and there's a cute coffee shop nearby too. If you want to do a little shopping, there are some small clothing stores along your walk too. For photography, there are some lookout places on the Malecon and church along your walk.

The front desk staff are friendly and professional - early checkin is very busy so you need to be patient. There was a large group checking out that crowded the entry way and there was a large group of presumed employees congregating at the other end of the checkin counter (we guessed maybe it was a shift change). There's a small convenience area within the hotel where you can buy bottled water (small bottles are around one US dollar each).

Our room was acceptable for this level of Hilton property. Unfortunately, the hair dryer needed to be replaced mid-stay since it failed to work - this was done very timely. The fluorescent light in the bathroom flickered throughout the stay. Room temperature was hard to regulate and it was very humid in the room. The employee who dropped off the hairdryer was noticeably upset to see the bathroom light malfunctioning but maintenance did not arrive to replace this during our stay. We just ignored it.

The hotel is a bit dated, but we were happy to have the complimentary shuttle to the airport the next morning as well as the bag breakfast to go. Be sure you take the sack breakfast if you're headed to the airport or Galapagos - you'll be very thankful for these snacks later in the afternoon!

***An important note for international travelers since it's not well advertised internationally - you will not find people wearing shorts in mainland Ecuador as this is in conflict with cultural norms. November in Guayaquil is very hot mid-day so if you are planning to walk the Malecon or be outside all day, consider capris or other weather wicking apparel. Shorts are only really "approved" for exercise or islands there. While this last caveat may seem obvious, it is also not culturally appropriate to wear shorts in places of worship. Just something to remember if you're on your way to/from the islands despite the extreme heat and humidity.***

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear SuburbtoSuitcase:

Thank you very much for choosing us like your hotel in Guayaquil, we are very pleased to have been part of your stay in our city, thank you for taking the time to share your comments and recommendations