“Reserved room not available, got dumped in dorm”
Review of Murali Hostal

Murali Hostal
Ranked #26 of 77 Guayaquil B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 19, 2012

The hostal had my reservation, but not my room. It was 10:30 at night and I was dog tired. However, he said he did have a room, a dorm with 6 beds, that I could have all to myself and he wouldn't charge me anything more than the $20 deposit I already paid. OK. I couldn't help be reminded of the Seinfeld episode where he had a car rental reservation at the airport but the reservation agent informed him that, though they had the reservation in the system, they didn't have a car. Seinfeld implored the woman that, since he had a reservation, there should be a car. He further told her 'I don't think you understand how a reservation works' to which she tersely responded 'yes, she does'. Seinfeld informed her 'I don't think you do, because if you did you would have a car. You see, you are supposed to KEEP the car!!'.

We went out the back door, down a smelly (of fish) corridor, past a laundry room and turned to go up a set of metal stairs attached to the outside of the building. These stairs had to be no wider than 18 inches!!! Up 3 flights and through a steel door and into the room. It was okay enough. Clean white linens, private bath...ummm....wait....there was no sink or mirror....just a toilet and a shower and the shower had only one knob, so you know what THAT means. NO HOT WATER!!! Ok, I needed sleep. I went to bed after banging my head on the steel frames of the bunkbeds several times. Oh, lest I forget, there were no keys to the room, just a sliding rod to lock the steel door, though that wasn't worth much since the window right next to the door could not be fully closed, nor locked.

Along about 1am, I awoke to knocking on my room door. It was the night manager with two young women behind him with backpacks and looking very exhausted. They had just arrived on a late night flight. What was I supposed to do...say NO?? What the hell happened to me having the room all to myself for $20 which, by the way, a bed in the shared dorm normally costs only $9?? HMMMM????

UGH. I got up at 7am and had breakfast. I felt miserable. Other guests were coming down from their rooms in the other part of the building which seemed nicer. They all seemed happy and refreshed. Yeah, because they were sleeping in nice rooms like the one I HAD reserved!!!! The night manager gave me a ride to the van office

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank danoinec

Reviewed July 12, 2012

We stayed 2 nights and 3 days are the Hostal because we needed to register our visas. It was a first experience for us in a hostal. We strongly recommend this hostal for the following reasons:
-The rooms are simple but very clean. The beds are very comfortable. The hostal is quiet and very secure. Dominick, Firmin and Carlos are very helpful and very nice to deal with. The wood entrance is beautiful.
-At night, Dominick would call a lady who would cook for us (or any other guest). That was a treat and it was very inexpensive (5 to 8$ per person). The food was fresh and delicious. We have a finicky eater with us, and she would do his food to his taste.
-Dominick also arranged our transportation to Salinas, saving us 20$. Our quote was 80$ and he was able to negotiate it down to 60$. The driver was very courteous and nice. He was also a very good and safe driver (not always the case).

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Fancypaw
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We stayed here for a night after returning from the Galapagos. We booked through their website, which was cheaper than the tarifs specified in the hotel lobby. Our room was large and comfortable. Cable TV and Aircon. Unfortunately, the neighbours over the road were having a party, so we didnt get much sleep until 3am. Not ideal, but not really the hotels fault.

It is an easy 10 minute walk from the airport, and a similar walk to the bus terminal. We walked to the bus terminal at 5:15am and it seamed reasonably safe. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Brendan P
domenick b, Manager at Murali Hostal, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

Hi Brendan, thanks for the kind words, it was nice having you! And sorry about that party next door, that does not happen very often, the area we are in is usually very quiet being we're just off the main street in front of the airport.

And you're right, it is cheaper if you book through our site than if you cone without a reservation, thanks for staying, Domenick

Reviewed May 15, 2012

Arrived in Guayaquil on a late night flight, we took a taxi straight to the hotel which is only two blocks from the airport. The hotel provides a link to print out a map, so if the taxi driver isn't familiar with the place, this map points it out. If it was daytime, we could have easily walked. Now, about the taxi drivers at the airport - they will try and charge you $5 - don't pay that. We paid $3, which is the typical going rate. If you are bringing a ton of luggage and want to take the hotel van, I think they charge $5, which is fine since they are paying their employee to sit and wait for you, plus airport parking. But, regular taxi waiting in the taxi line - $3!

We arrived at the hotel, and Don the owner was there and the staff, even late at night - all smiles. The hotel is an older home converted to a B&B, and the layout is very nice. When you arrive, ring the bell and staff will open the gate and help you with luggage.

We paid a deposit when we made the reservation (check them out on Facebook, we did it through their page), and we paid the balance upon check-in. We were given a few bottles of water, and shown our room, which was upstairs. Lots of very pretty dark hardwoods all over, which the staff was polishing the next morning.

Our room was simple, but very clean. And, the best part....the shower had a regular shower head. The only reason I didn't give this hotel a 5 star rating was because of the older bath, it will need to be renovated soon. But, it was clean, and had hot water, which is more important!

The air conditioner worked well. Considering it is pretty hot in Guayaquil, we were grateful for the cold air. The bed was comfortable, the sheets nice and crisp.

Breakfast the next morning: simple but filling and delicious. It is included in the room rate. Eggs were buttery, jam was delicious, and the coffee nice and strong.

Instead of calling for a cab to take us to the bus terminal, said to hop in his car....he drove us and our luggage (!) to the terminal. So nice!

I would highly recommend this place to anyone needing a nice place to stay, close to the airport or bus terminal. You could also walk to shopping, food, gas station....everything is close.

Room Tip: We were facing the street, and even though the noise was not bad at all, those who are very light sl...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank tkdtami

Hey Tami,

It was nice having you!

That's correct we have to charge $5 to pick you up from the airport when the airport taxis only charge $4, sometimes $3, because our employee has to wait, sometimes over an hour for passengers to arrive. And yes, that bathroom in room #4 did need remodeling and yesterday we just completed it! There was a leak above the ceiling causing it to look deformed. Now its fixed and looking sharp, hope to see you again soon, Domenick

Reviewed April 24, 2012

I was happy to find this for our overnight stay in Guayaquil last week. It is very close to both the airport and bus terminal but tucked away into a quiet and safe neighborhood. The staff was very helpful with any questions I had, and calling me a cab for our early morning departure. The room was clean and the air conditioning perfect. Breakfast was also tasty.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Kelsey E

Thanks for staying Kelsey, if there is anything else we can help you with please let us know and we hope to see you again soon, Domenick

Reviewed April 21, 2012

I stayed a night while waiting for my plane to Galapagos and was happy with my choice. It's really close to the Airport (5 $ taxi ride, 5 min), its clean and safe. Had a simple but nice breakfast in the morning before heading back to the airport. Front desk personal was happy to call a cab for me;

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Ikuska_Sanz

Hey, thanks for staying, we enjoyed hosting you!

Hope you enjoyed your trip to the Galapagos and if you need any Galapagos tips please let me know, Domenick

Reviewed April 8, 2012

We stayed here for one night before an early morning flight. Our room was large, comfortable and clean, with a/c and cable TV. We had a big bathroom with a good shower. They offer food with a limited menu, but the food was really good. We left early in the morning so can't comment on the breakfast. An ideal place to stay close to the airport

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mpbmpb

Thanks for staying! We hope you stop by Guayaquil again soon, take care, Domenick