“nice stay”

Funky Monkey Hostal
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Although this is close to the Mall (2 minutes walking distance) and to the terminal terrestre/airport (10 minutes by taxi) it´s quiet and cozy... the owner Freddy is nice and helpful ..., pleasant staff..., highly recomended

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed June 15, 2012

My wife and I arrived in Guayaquil after a long day of flights from Michigan. Arriving at the hotel, we were greeted by the owner who was not only friendly and accommodating, but went out of his way to ensure that we had what we needed for our brief stay. (We were only booked one night as we are traveling on) The hostel is what I have come to expect when visiting different countries, the rooms are basic but comfortable and roomy enough to move around while sorting through your gear. The shower was refreshing after sitting on cramped airplanes all day and the fans made the night a very peaceful sleep. I was greeted in the morning by the owner and one of the hostel cats (Tuna - who helped me type this review) and relaxed in the common area with good conversation and a hot cup of coffee. Just the right start for me. WiFi works great, and would stay here again if in Guayaquil. Maybe next trip!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 14, 2012

This place is a hole. The rooms open up into the reception/kitchen area where the manager sits and drinks with his friends until 7am. Some gypsy slept on a mattress on the floor of this room?! The noise is so annoying that we ended up putting the mattress against the door to try and block it. We asked the manager to keep it down at 1am to no avail. The garden resembles a trailer park.
The only redeeming factor of this hostel is its location but I would never stay there again.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rachel F
Reviewed January 28, 2012

Great experience. First of all, great location. Really easy to get there from the bus terminal. Either you catch a taxi (USD3) or you don't feel like taking the easy way, and exploring a little bit. We took latter. You catch a bus (USD 0.25) heading to the shopping "Mall del Sol", ask the driver to drop you there, get into the Mall, get out by the parking lots, and there you are, next to the restaurant "La Sazón de Yoli". As safe as it gets. Now inside the place. Francisco and the other staff were just great. I called early in the morning, asked for availability, and even that me and my friend were kind of in a really tight budget, Francisco understood and made us a little discount. The guy is plain cool. We arrived at night time as Victor, the rastaman chef was cooking with some other guests a delicious paella which they didn't hesitate to gently invite the newcomers to join in. The bathrooms were nice and clean. I don't really mind about that stuff, but if you're fond of hot/warm water, you won't be let down here. WI-FI has a strong signal with a pretty decent speed. There's also a nice kitchen with everything you need to cook a delicious meal, and even if by any chance they don't happen to have something you need at the moment, they will do whatever it takes and get it for you. Not only in the kitchen. These is the place philosophy, as I see it. What can I say, they made us feel at home, and we won't think twice about it next time we make it to Guayaquil to crash our tired bones at the Funky Monkey Hostel.

Totally recommended place.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank romancastevet
Reviewed January 27, 2012

The guys here are legends, really friendly and helpful. I stayed here for 3 nights organizing a trip to the Galapagos and they cooked dinner each night for me. It looks a bit rough around the edges but is a handy and friendly place to stay

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Scallywagesque
Reviewed January 19, 2012

We flew into Guayaquil late at night and it was almost midnight when we arrived at the Funky Monkey. It had been raining and it was hot and muggy. Our room was very basic - little more than a double bed. Rain water had pooled on the walkway and seeped under the door so the floor of the room was wet. Not the greatest when heading off to the shared bathroom next door. The room had a window air conditioner but the compressor didn't work so we had to make do with the fan blowing warm air around. I killed one cockroach but I imagine there were others I didn't see. Needless to say, we didn't have a very comfortable night's sleep. Breakfast in the morning was quite tasty.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gerald N
Reviewed January 12, 2012

The Funky Monky was a very cool place to hang out and the staff were awsome. I got a first hand tour of the city from one staff member and dinner each night from another. They are very friendly and will try and help with any problem you may have. I had only planned to stay there one night passing through and ended up staying 3 nights because of the staff.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo