“Great Choice for Convenience & Price”
Review of Tabuba Guest House

Tabuba Guest House
Ranked #19 of 76 Guayaquil B&B and Inns
Cuenca, Ecuador
“Great Choice for Convenience & Price”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We came from Cuenca to get to the airport here in Guayaquil. My husband and I were very pleased when they greeted us and showed us to our room way earlier than check in time. The hosts are friendly and speak pretty good English. Food at breakfast is simple, but good. Staff is great. The room is clean and simple with an air-conditioner that works great in this hot humid climate. Internet is fast. This is our choice for nearby the airport and bus terminal. It's not close to the Malecon. That takes a $4 taxi ride, about 30 minutes. It's worth it, though..the Malecon is beautiful! We'd stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LollieHoxie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Polish first
wisconsin
Reviewed April 25, 2013

The rather difficult to find door on a small street opens up to a surprisingly modern home. We were the only guests, but I expect the noise level would be high from guests coming and going. Certainly the door bell resounded throughout the house. The enclosed parking as promised turned out to be not so enclosed with an asleep guard and difficult to arrange. The owner went out of her way to make sure we took a safe taxi to the nearby mall. Location is not on the noisy side of the airport. All in all, not a bad value for the money.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mariapio
Roswell, Georgia
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I've stayed twice at the Tabuba Guest House, and I'm about to arrange another stay for my wife and children over the Christmas break. The operators (Jamie and Vanessa) really care about their guests, making sure that you enjoy your stay.

The rooms are very clean, roomy, and well equipped with adequate linens, cable TV, internet and AC. There is also a computer for your use in the lobby if you don't have your own laptop. The hotel is located less than 10 minutes from the airport and a $5 cab ride to downtown Guayaquil.

I felt safe in the neighborhood; most evenings I walked to local restaurants and took my dinner back to the hotel. They also serve a delicious breakfast to get you going in the morning.and.and most evenings,

Tabuba Guest House is perfect for any kind of traveller.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Stremma
Cuenca, Ecuador
Reviewed September 24, 2012

After spending the past 1 and 1/2 years traveling outside of Ecuador, there is sincerely nothing more refreshing than returning to a place where you feel cared for and safe and just totally relaxed. In Guayaquil that place is Tabuba. Since my first stay with them over two years ago, I have been back 4 times. Each time, everyone at Tabuba and everything about my stay has been perfect. I have traveled a lot in my lifetime, to over 25 countries, so when I say this is a topnotch, reasonably priced place to stay, I am speaking from experience.

Everything has been maintained perfectly since my first stay: cleanliness, kind service, personal attention, wifi, hot shower, nice breakfast, spotless rooms, safety. Vanessa and Jaime are the sweetest hosts and want to make sure that everything you may need is there for you. They even purchased a sim card for me, so that when I arrived in Ecuador I could immediately use my phone. Felipe, who picks me up at the airport is always there before I arrive, waiting for me. It feels great to walk out of customs and into the safe feeling of someone waiting there for you. On the note of safety, I want to comment on safety in Guayaquil and other big cities for that matter. They are ALL dangerous to some degree. Anytime we travel we decide to take that risk, in return for the adventure of a new experience. It's a horrible feeling to be violated, especially in a foreign country. Guayaquil is dangerous. Ecuadorians are reminding me all the time. So, I try to be extra aware of my surroundings at all times. Felipe at Tabuba was so conscientious about danger, especially at night, that he had the police from the airport escort us all the way to the Guest House. They stayed until we unloaded all my luggage. Now, that is service and attention.

I feel lucky that I found Tabuba Guest House a few years ago. It is a gem and continues to shine. Thank you so much Vanessa, Jaime, and Felipe for everything you do.

Room Tip: Travel with ear plugs. They are tiny, but powerful when staying in a big noisy city like Guayaquil.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank HMBHMB
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 18, 2012

This is my second review. The first was written practically hours before my second trip to Ecuador. I was to stay in this guest house for the second time. I thought that all had been checked - the hostal, the pick up driver, etc.I thought those people reliable, which is why I booked my second stay and made sure that the pick up would be there upon my arrival. I knew that, as a single woman, with lots of luggage, I would be a prime target. And so I was

I was robbed, at gun point, in front of the hostal, of EVERYTHING. The robbers drove away with all my belongings, documents, cash, credit cards, my nonprofit documents, etc. Thankfully, I did have my glasses on. The robbers grabbed my trench coat off my hand, saw the watch, grabbed it too, and there I was - worn out jeans, worn out snickers, little silk sweater, glasses, and NOTHING else. I and my nonprofit came to live and work in Ecuador for a year.
The nightmare began.

The hotel car pick up, and the owner of the hotel, did everything to misinform me about the police procedure. They even did not tell me that the driver rushed to the Police Department. When, having informed my debit and credit cards, of the robbery, I arrived to the PD, the police, and the hotel owner, and their driver did their very best to "explain" me that I had not been entitled to a copy of police report, because in Ecuador things were different and only the driver was entitled to such report. From all this, and some other remarks, it became clear that hotel pick up and robbers cooperated in my robbery.Possibly the owner as we.. The police, of course, was bribed by them, to insist on the nonsense. My demand to talk to the chief of Police resolved the issue and I was given a Police Report.

Upon reflection it became clear that the robbers' car followed us, and the driver talked on the phone ( the ride was 7-8 minutes), though I asked him not to talk when driving.And his car was parked as far as possible at an empty parking lot. And somebody followed us to that Of course, being stupid, I had told the hotel owner that I was bringing computers, technology, and all that is necessary for my life in Ecuador. And that it was important that I would be me met.

The owner had the guts to charge me for that night's stay, during which I spent in bed 1.5 hrs.
He did drive me to the American Consulate, for an emergency passport. And his mother was telling me how it was my new opportunity to begin new life in Ecuador.
DESPICABLE AND IRRESPONSIBLE PEOPLE.

THE ABOVE HAPPENED DECEMBER 2, 2010 - Trip Adviser does not give me this choice of date

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
12 Thank movingtoEcuador
tabubaguesthouse, Propietario at Tabuba Guest House, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Recently we have the sadness of seeing the publication made in response to it we do siguienes clarifications:
1. - Although all their belongings were stolen, we also were targeted and suffered a loss, because criminals also stole the vehicle the driver, my cell phone and wallet.
2. - Remember to be fair and please do not forget that his first reaction was to call the United States to block your credit cards, called about an hour so that exhausted the balance of 50 dollars for a hotel phone, why which we charge the room (30 dollars) later took her to the complaint in question, obviously the driver stepped forward to make the complaint in the police court as you crashed your cards.

You allege that the police procedures misinformed, which is not true because you personally spoke with government officials in the prosecution, what actually happened is that you as a completely unknown foreign Ecuadorian legislation and procedures.You say that only slept an hour and half, I did not sleep at all because the accompanying paperwork and all claims (by the prosecution, the pharmacy, the consulate, to withdraw a deposit at western union, invite her to eat and then leave it in the bus station) I was assisting them for 15 hours and I did a selfless way, we are sorry to see us as accomplices to us and even the police, seriously injures us, we understand your desire to find a culprit, but Tabuba Guest House not even have a degree of responsibility for what happened.

We are a team of transparent, honest and hospitable, we care that people feel comfortable coming into our facilities, we rejoice to see the positive comments left by people who have stayed because we devote ourselves to provide a warm service and are open to suggestions but not to the false accusations, which is why we reject them entirely, so we stand.

We have a history of nearly 20 years offering hotel service and is the first time there is a situation of theft from clientsunfortunately you have been part of the country's crime statistics but that does not justify my time you despise, revile us and insult my family, including my mother to find out what happened gave her clothes and tried to give words apoyo.Nosotros take care of our guests, we care about them, give them safety tips.If you were sure we steal, we would have to be reported and have proven the fact, the accusation is very serious you are doing to our business and above all to myself and family.But no! ... You cowardly waited to return to his country after 14 months of what happened to injure us, if you thought we were involved q was here had to do while in Ecuador, because his stay would be long but it certainly did not because it is a baseless acusasion a CHARGE OF BAD FAITH.
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed August 12, 2011

We found them on Trip Advisor, so we're giving back. Stay here! Private, secure, and reasonably priced taxi service to / from the airport was a huge attraction. Ask for Filipe. The husband-wife-baby team that runs the hotel is adorable. Their rooms are classy, clean, and well air-conditioned, but there were some ants and cracks on the walls (common in the muggy rainforest climate, I suppose). Because we were nervous about personal safety in Guayaquil and didn't know the neighborhood, the owner walked us to the local tienda / grocer. Ask him to take you -- there's ice cream for 25 cents!

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Peter F
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed August 10, 2011

A very nice place with cool people, clean rooms, close to the airport. We stayed there twice before and after going to Galapagos. With taxi drive we could visit the centre of Guayaquil and also get the airport. I liked the triple room the most!!! I can recommend this place surely!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family