“EXCELLENT AND VERY FRIENDLY STAFF” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel City Plaza

Hotel City Plaza
Ranked #17 of 59 Hotels in Guayaquil
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“EXCELLENT AND VERY FRIENDLY STAFF”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2014

This is my second time in this hotel, and i have to say that is the best option in Guayaquil. in my opinion, because it is not expensive, it is clean, it is safe and it is near of tourist places. The staff is very friendly and know about the main places that you should visit. We forgot our camera in the closet and they sent a man who brought it to the airport and all of this free. We really appreciate it because the camera is expensive and all the memories of our trip were there. and that is most value. I want to thank to Nathalie because my wife got sick and she helped her a lot. We recommend this hotel for the price, location but over all for the staff.

Room Tip: If you have problem with the noise, ask for a interior room or one in the 4 floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HotelCityPlaza H, Departamento de Ventas at Hotel City Plaza, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for the comments made ​​about your stay.

Nathalie knows about your comment and our staff are very happy you had a pleasant experience with us.

We hope to have the oportunity to receive your visit again.

Sales Department

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Tilcara, Argentina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night on the way to Galapagos. Rooms are very big, bathroom with bathtub and shower, two sinks, huge bed. For us this was luxury. We usually stay in hostels so this was a treat. I could have stayed longer but it is too expensive. The traffic noise is bad so bring ear plugs or ask for a room facing the patio. The shower annoyed me. It had a big shower had but no pressure and if you are female with long hair you'll get wet. Breakfast was alright and they serve great food at dinner. Pricy but very good quality. If I could afford it, I would have stayed one more night. The lady at the reception was not very friendly. We would have expected more from a 4* hotel. I can recommend this hotel if you need luxury but bring ear plugs. Guayaquil is a noisy city.....

• Stayed June 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

We are glad to read that you enjoyed about different aspects of the hotel.

We thank you sincerely for having chosen our hotel for your recent stay.

Look forward to your return soon.

Best regards,

Tel Aviv, Israel
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

They steal my money from the safety box in my room!
I arrived to the hotel in the afternoon of 22nd May 2014 and had a flight to the Galapagos the next morning.
I carry my cash money in 2 separate cases- in my wallet and in a money belt.
The larger amounts are in the money belt and in the wallet I have the cash I spend.
In the money belt I have 2 packs-
First- 200 USD that are emergency money. I never take money out of there,
Second- The rest of the money.
Each pack has a note attached to it with rubber band that states the amount of the pack in the current time.
The emergency pack always contains 200$ and
every time I take money out of the second pack, i arase with a line the previous amount and write the current amount (after I count it again). I always take out of the pack multiples of 100$.
( I travel at least 4 months a year and that is my system)
I count the 2 packs, every day, at least once a day.
I put the money belt in the safety box of my room in that hotel, after I counted the money.
I had at that time-
The 200$ in the emergency pack and 700$ in the second pack. The notes attached to every pack represented those amounts.
I went out of the hotel at around 5pm and came back after 7 pm.
At 8:30pm, a friend (female) came to visit me. We stayed in the room (talking only) for an hour, an hour and a half until she left.
I was present in the room the whole time of her visit (didn't even went to the toilet).
After that I Went to sleep, left the room for breakfast, came back to the room, arranged my stuffs, took the money out of the safety box, counted it and discovered that the 700$ pack had only 500$! (200$ missing) and the emergency pack had 180$ (20$ missing).
In total they stole from me 220$!
As much as I travel, never in my life I was being robed/stolen from the room safety box!
It was a combination regular safety box, that can be opened by the number combination, or by the hotel's key.
I went quickly down to the reception to notify about the stolen money emphasizing that I have to leave in minutes to catch my flight.
The receptionist called the manager-
Mr. [--]
Front Desk Manager, that right away told me that no money was stolen from me, even before he heard my explanation.
I asked him how he can be so sure?
And he replied- I know my employees.
I told him he can know for certain only with regard to himself and that it should be very important for him to check this matter.
At that time he started to smile from ear to ear the whole time. He told me that my friend stole the money. I told him that I was in the room on the chair near the safety box the whole visit and that she couldn't steal the money and anyhow she doesn't know the combination.
The manager told me- look we have a camera in the hall leading to your room and no employee went there. As if me or him could watch all the hours I was out of the room in 20 seconds.
I told him that in order to discover that, we should look at the recording for the entire time of my absence from the room, and asked him to do that and notify me. He said again that there is no need as he knows his employees and after I asked him several times again, he said he will do it and notify me.
How would you notify me I asked if you don't have my tel number or email.
Only then the receptionist took those details from me. I knew at that time that the manager is not going to investigate at all into that matter.
I took his business card and rushed to the airport to catch my flight. At the airport, I went to the police office to try and give a complaint.
They told me that the airport office is dealing only with matters that happened in the airport and that I should go to the Guayaquil city police. I explained that I have a flight soon after and asked them to pass my complaint to the city police so that they will investigate this crime. They told me they can't do it. Frustrated I boarded my flight to Galapagos.
I wrote the front desk manager an email after a day, asking for his investigation results, he didn't reply. I wrote again asking for reply. Only then and after the weekend Mr. [--] replied and stated that they checked the video recording and that I stayed in the room from check in until 20:30 in the evening and that there was nothing unusual seen on the recording.
I replied that obviously he didn't check correctly as I was out of my room from before 17:00, until after 19:00 in the evening an I sent him a photo of my credit card slip on which he could see that at 19:01, I paid my bill at "Pizza Hut" restaurant which proves that I was out of the hotel at that time and didn't stay in my room as his investigation revealed.
Mr. [--], replied and stated that they checked and checked again and (of course) he didn't find any misbehavior of his employees on the recorded video.
In general, Hotel's keys to the safety boxes, are held by specific employees. Those employees wouldn't dare to steal from the safety boxes as the management will know right away who is responsible, unless, the manager is part of the scam!!!
I am a lawyer. I took once a course to identify witnesses behavior.
For my opinion, Mr. [--] is part of the scam, but this is only my opinion, it's not a fact.
The fact is that 220US dollars were stolen from my room safety box by someone from the hotel.
If the hotel owner sees that, I advise him to look into this matter.
If you the traveler, tourist, guest, see that, be warned, they might steal from you as well!

Stayed June 2014
6 Thank amihaim
HotelCityPlaza H, Gerente Manager at Hotel City Plaza, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Dear TripAdvisor,

Please note that there is no proof whatsoever that there was a theft of money . The client just says that money was stolen. Secondly, in our hotel the entrance door of each rooms are under continuous surveillance by CCTV camera. Now, the recording (which was duly shown to the Guayaquil Police) does not show any intrusion by our staff. The CCTV recording does indeed show that somebody other than “the client” entered the room, but it was “a she” who had not checked –in at the hotel. Thirdly, and even more significantly, when the Guayaquil Police carried out its investigation, the client declared that he did not know her. As a result we were unable check her ID documents and her profession.

Dear TripAdvisor, these were the facts of that night. If indeed during that night there was a theft and money was stolen (which we repeat is not certain) then we think to know who the culprit was.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

CITY PLAZA

Stayed in this hotel April 18-20, 2014, on my way to the Galapagos. From the minute I made my reservation (which was less expensive through booking, than through the hotel web site, one of the quirks of Ecuador :-) ), everything was smooth and very pleasant. My emails were answered promptly and very courteously, and all my requests were graciously accommodated. I was met at the bus station and promptly checked into a WONDERFUL room at the 4-th floor. Spotlessly clean room and nice bathroom with both bath tab and shower, flat screen TV with some English speaking channels, refrigerator, and an AC which works wonderfully and is not noisy. A very comfortable bed. They change towels every day and give you a very nice soap, shower cap, shampoo-conditioner, and even a little sawing kit :) And they must be the only hotel in EC that gives you a wash cloth!!! (the first I had in 3.5 years of my life in EC). A very courteous and accommodating staff, all of them - front desk, driver, cleaning people, restaurant servers! And, yes, they have 2 computers for the guest use!!

The breakfast was very good - a choice of cold cuts, cheeses, breads-cakes, fresh fruit, eggs, cereal, yogurt, and even quiche Lorraine (which would benefit from being served warm). Since the restaurant was reviewed so favorably, I ate there in the evening as well. The first night I liked my food a lot, BUT the next day I did not feel well. The second day I found out that they had the same menu for the whole week, which somewhat explained my problem after the first meal. In my books, no good restaurant has the same menu for the whole week, changing it on Monday.

The location is great - a short walk from the Malecon. I was delivered to my flight to the Galapagos on time and in great comfort, for $6+, in the hotel van.

Now, about the minuses.

The restaurant sells a small bottle of the EC beer for the outrageous $4.50 (you buy it for $.80 in the store and for $1.25 - 2 MAX in a restaurant. Even in the Galapagos, where everything is nearly twice more expensive, at the 4 star hotel they charge $3.50 for that beer.
If I recall it correctly, the City Plaza mini bar charge is same $4.50. So, buy your beer at a nearby tienda :)

The hotel is overpriced for what it is. By the USA/European standards, this is a solid 3 star hotel. (Ecuadorians are much more liberal with their hotel stars, so I think they rate themselves as a 4 star hotel). A very comparable hotel in Quito, which, in general, is more expensive than GYE, hotel Sucre, charges around $60 for a single room, with all taxes and breakfast included. If you are lucky, you can get that room for $40 :). City Plaza has the price of $100 for the alike room, at their web site. At Booking.com, I got the room for around $62, without the IVA tax and service charge, which are 22%. So, real price/night is $75, which is WAY too much for a GYE, EC hotel of this sort, in this area. There charge for a single person should be $45-60 MAX

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank movingtoEcuador
HotelCityPlaza H, Departamento de Ventas at Hotel City Plaza, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for sharing your comments with us.

Look forward to your return soon.

Las Vegas, NV
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

We stayed for one night upon first arriving into Ecuador. Parking was available nearby. The restaurant was open late and they food was very good. In fact, it was the best ceviche we had the entire visit. Breakfast offered a nice selection of fruit, cheese, deli meat, pastries and a few warm dishes. Our king sized room was spacious and comfortable. The bathroom had a separate tub and shower. The balcony was a nice touch. A/C worked great! Staff was friendly and accommodating. Location was great, only short walk to the Malecon.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HotelCityPlaza H, Departamento de Ventas at Hotel City Plaza, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay. We are grateful with your positive comments.

We look forward to your next visit.

TLV
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

Was greeted and welcomed at the airport by a very nice driver who explained me about the city during the drive to the hotel . Receptionists and all staff were very nice and service oriented. Rooms are spacious, good and clean. Nice restaurant with good prices and convenienet if you dont want to go out for dinner/lunch.
Breakfast also good.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Lempes
HotelCityPlaza H, Departamento de Ventas at Hotel City Plaza, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for sharing your opinion about your experience at our Hotel.

It is nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay . We thank you sincerely for having chosen our hotel for your recent stay.

We look forward to your next visit.

Best regards,

San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

We stayed there for 6 nights and can not express how amazing the staff treated us. The rooms were very comfortable with great A/C..security was excellent including in-room safes but the staff is what made this place the value. They went out of their way to engage with us, making sure we were well taken care of and did their best to keep us safe as we explored. I would highly recommend this small hotel for the traveler that needs some special attention to accomplish your goals. Awesome value for the price ...Highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: the 4th floor rooms have balcony
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank lftdcass
HotelCityPlaza H, Departamento de Ventas at Hotel City Plaza, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your great comments of the Hotel.

The Hotel appreciates the time you took to highlights our positive aspects, as in-room safes in our rooms and exceptional staff.

We are very happy of been part of your Guayaquil experience and we hope to have the oportunity to receive your visit again.