“Fantastic Stay”

Ranked #12 of 60 Hotels in Guayaquil
NJ
“Fantastic Stay”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Where can you find another hotel where the guest will be greeted by the hotel staff in the airport, and transported in a big minivan to the hotel all for free? Well, this is the one. The service is just remarkable, staff so friendly, the wi-fi is flawless, and did I mention the best breakfast buffet? One of the best hotels I ever stayed as a seasoned traveler.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Eddie G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed December 23, 2012

My family and I had reason to spend 10 nights here recently in several different rooms so we got a pretty good feel for the place. The good:

1) Close to airport and shopping. San Marino mall is a five minute walk away, is very modern and has a large selection of dining options. Policentro mall is a ten minute walk away, is older and smaller, but has a SuperMax grocery store.
2) In a safe area for walking and besides the malls, there are 24 hour pharmacies, ATM machines and other restaurants close by. Be careful crossing Fransisco Orellana!
3) Great views of the city, the airport and the river from the south facing rooms, the higher the better.
4) Very nice workout room on sixteenth floor with great views. Small, open air pool and patio also on this level.
5) Helpful, professional, english speaking staff at the front desk.
6) Free, secure attached parking garage.
7) Spacious, modern rooms with the ususal amenities.
8) Freindly taxistas to help guide you around the city for whatever you may need, espcially if you speak spanish.

The not so good:

1) Walls are not well insulated for sound, can hear alot from adjoining rooms.
2) Hot water in showers not regulated, so be careful or be scalded.
3) Wifi in and out all the time
4) Restuarant overpriced, even by american standards.
5) Mini market too. $3.00 for a small Pilsner?
6) Conference rooms on fifth floor can be noisy, ask for a room on a higher floor.

By the way, I was all over the city and neither had, nor saw any crime problems. It's a big city and it always pays to be careful, and never hail a cab on the street.

Room Tip: Get a view room on a high floor
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank rbyrnes3
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I usually stay at Marriott whenever possible, and this is the first time I'm so disappointed of a Marriott. The room was ok, I have no complaints there, I was upgraded which gave me a good room. The issue was with room service, to start out there isn't a menu in the room so you have to call and they will kind of dictate the menu which is quite poor, I ended up asking for a "ceviche" and sandwich which were quite poor quality for the price and for a Marriott standard.

The other issue I had with the Marriott was regarding their shuttle from the airport to the hotel. As soon as I arrived to the airport I called asking if they had a shuttle, they said they did and it shouldn't be long before it got there, that it was giving turns. After 30 min I decided to take a taxi to the hotel, and found the shuttle parked in front of the hotel, if they had just said it wouldn't go I wouldn't have wasted 30 min waiting for it.

Besides these issues, the hotel in general is OK, rooms are clean, nothing special.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Ocean Isle Beach, North Carolina
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Being a Marriott Rewards member for many years, I had an expectation of what a Courtyard would be like. After our short one night stay in June I can report that this Courtyard beat our expectations...this is a safe, first class hotel with a very accommodating staff and very nice restaurant. We arrived well after 2AM and there was a very attentive staff checking us in and making sure our room met our needs. We will definitely stay at this Courtyard should we travel via GYE again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We stayed here one night either side of a Galapagos trip. Very close to the airport with supermarket, pharmacy across the road & McDonalds down the road. We had organised airport pick-ups both times and a man was there with our name/Marriott sign and showed us to 2 taxis that took us to the hotel. The first night we had a hotel room with a great view over-looking Guayaquil and the airport runway in the distance. Our family of 4 shared 1 room - 2 queen beds. Buffet breakfast was very nice. Guest Laundry was great for last minute washing. We left our excess baggage at the hotel in storage during our galapagos islands trip. On return, the second stay wasn't as good. Man at reception hassled us over the ages our of sons (12 yrs) as to whether we could stay in one room and it include breakfast as well. The ironic thing was we were flying out early in the morning and because breakfast didn't start until 6.30am, we weren't going to be having it anyway! After a 'discussion' he checked us in and put us in a crappy room with a view of a wall, next to an electrical room - certainly not impressed. It really soured what had been up to then, a very good impression of the hotel. If it hadn't been for that I would have rated the hotel as excellent. In the afternoon the hotel organised with a taxi driver to take us to one end of the Malecon, and pick us up again at the other end at a certain time - 8pm. No mean feat as it was Ecuador Independence Day and the President was in town, so there was amazing security with armed soldiers everywhere. Even though it was late we felt very safe walking around Santa Ana, and there were lots of families walking along the Malecon. We probably couldn't have chosen a safer day to walk around Guayaquil!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
St Croix, USVI
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We left Miami an hour late and, surprisingly, arrived Guayaquil an hour late. This stressed me. The hotel courtesy car was to pick us up at the airport but they operate only until 11PM. Even if the plane was on time we would be pushing the deadline. I just recently read about a really bad experience an expat had with a cab just south of here and my neurotic side was getting the better of me. I did NOT want to get into a cab in the middle of the night. And by the time we got through customs, it was 12:45AM. Very much to my surprise, when we finally exited the airport terminal, there was this little Ecuadorian guy holding a sign with our name on it. I was dumbfounded. Very grateful, but dumbfounded.

The breakfast buffet was awesome. About the best I can remember. The selection was so huge that the average peerson could not sample everything. It was a mix of American and local cuisine. All of it was good. And they didn't give you these dinky saucer-sized plates. They were more like platters. Their watermelon juice, right next to the orange juice, was absolutely delicious. This buffet apparently comes at no extra charge with the room, but as we were paying for the room with travel points, breakfast was not included. The cost was $14pp. With tip and taxes, it came to $34 for two of us. Not cheap but man it was good!

Room Tip: We had a 10th floor room with a view of the airport, among other things. No knowledge of the other...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Much nicer than your normal Courtyard. High floor and great views. The breakfast buffet was also good. Don't miss the beans and rice. Good location. The service was also very solid. The power did go out for about 1 hour and that was rather bothersome but overall I recommend it as the place to stay in Guayaquil.

Room Tip: Get a corner room, They have large windows and great views.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple