“Dishonesty was the last thing I expected”

Hostal Suites Madrid
Ranked #23 of 61 Hotels in Guayaquil
“Dishonesty was the last thing I expected”
Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

From others reviews I expected a warm, clean and helpful environment but was I ever disappointed!
Everything went alright initially. The rooms were ok for the price, and people were apparently friendly.
Then the real experience started. The bed was hard the pillows harder if that is possible. We chose this place so we could get some rest for the early flight the next day but between the pillows, the mattress and the Mosquitos we slept very little.
That would have all been ok since the price is reasonable, but the night front desk staff dishonesty went way beyond the last straw. When I asked for a taxi to be called for me the next morning to go to the airport at 4am the man at the desk told me it would be done and warned me it would be 8uUS dollars. I was surprised. In Ecuador taxis are very inexpensive. I asked why a fare that would be 2 dollars during the day was 8. He explained that its because the taxis are the registered airport taxis and are secure. I was still skeptical but had heard of dishonest cab drivers and agreed because I had no other option.
The next morning I once again felt uneasy when I saw that the cab was not one of the registered ones, It was clearly a private vehicle. I asked to see the cab registration number and was shushed and ushered into the car.
We arrived at the airport and as I paid the driver I asked why the fare was so expensive. He said that he only got 4 dollars. The rest went to the hotel. I'm not sure who is lying but clearly this is a 'side business' set up by the hotel staff. And though the amount is not considerable, it is a terrible feeling to be lied to and robbed in such a way.

• Stayed January 2013
5 Thank Noticesdetails

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I chose this place based on reviews, but was sorely disappointed. While the staff were friendly, the room was to be avoided. The rock-hard pillow smelt of stale head sweat, and I was kept awake all night by bites. I don't think they were bed bugs, but quite possibly fleas. The aircon was an ancient thing that rattled loudly all night, and the bathroom was as basic as you can get. With no breakfast, this place is not the good deal others have spoken of. Definately not recommended.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank TravellingAussie1

Travelers are raving about these Guayaquil hotels

Eagan, Minnesota
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Wifi was fast and excellent in room. We were able to watch Netflix, which was great, as Guayaquil didn't have as much to offer as we'd hoped. Lounges to hang out in if that's your thing. Stayed in a matrimonial for $35 a night. Room one of the nicer ones we've stayed in on our trip, though certainly more expensive than other cities. Guayaquil didn't seem to have many cheap options, this was within walking distance of the malecon, though not as close as the more expensive hotels. Area felt pretty safe. Easy access to the big public bus. Room was pretty quiet. Security was good and people working there were friendly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jessica F
St. Gallen, Switzerland
Reviewed November 29, 2012

We stayed only for one night in this hostal, but we felt really safe and welcome! You can choose between different rooms and prices, so the value is really good! The staff was also very nice and helpful! The told us where it is safe to walk around and the organized also the transport to the terminal. The location is perfect, you are really close to the avenida 9 de octubre, which is the most important street for tourists. Stay here!!

Room Tip: Take one without windows - you will sleep better!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marco J
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Nice enough Hostal near downtown Guayaquil. Clean with friendly service. The downstairs cafe did good breakfasts. Bit noisy however I believe the inner but window less rooms are quieter. No terrace during my stay as building work being done (bit more noise!) but this was explained to me during the booking process. Area not the best but sometimes in Guayaquil these things can be deceptive-I found the most pleasant walk into town was actually to go up a block, turn left then a few blocks later you're right in the middle of downtown. I received no hard selling at all on the Tours front. Returning to Guayaquil soon, Will more than likely stay here,

Room Tip: Inner ones are quiter but no windows. Good air con though.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Auckland
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Our room was nice and big, with a decent sized bathroom. Air conditioning was needed, when arriving back hot & sweaty from doing lots of walking. Nice rooftop area for us smokers, with fast internet. Only minus was they advertise that they have a cafe, and they don't. There is a cafe next door that doesn't open for very long, but nothing at all on site where you can even make a drink. Lovely helpful manager. Beds were fine, but pillows were like rocks.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I arrived with no reservation but was given a choice of spacious double rooms. I ended up with a room with an aspect over the road to the front and side which was quite noisy but it quietened in the middle of the night. The room itself was well furnished with a good-sized bathroom, air conditioning and cable TV. It is well located near to 9 de Octubre which leads down to the Malecon, and as a single female traveller I walked this trip without issue. The Staff are very friendly and the place is immaculately clean.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo