“A New Home”

Hostal Suites Madrid
Ranked #23 of 61 Hotels in Guayaquil
“A New Home”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

After heading to a new land with new friends, to experience a new language and culture, Hostal Suites Madrid became somewhat of a safe haven for a group of university students. With incredible friendly and supportive staff, we discovered that the blue stones on the street around the hostel were a welcome sign, a symbol of comfort and safety.
After spending nearly two weeks at Hostal Suites Madrid, our group went to a resort for two nights where we surfed, went horse back riding, snorkeled, and had an amazing time. But upon our return to the hostel we all declared that it was "great to be home again". Although we weren't scheduled to return to Canada for another few days yet.
I am very thankful for the time we got to spend there, the staff was incredible, and I would honestly recommend the Hostal Suites Madrid to anyone who might be staying in Ecuador for a short or extended period of time.

Room Tip: The streets below are pretty loud during the night, but I was able to sleep through it mostly. I'...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Melissa S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Stony Plain, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed June 18, 2012

During my trip to Ecuador, the blue tile of Suites Madrid became my home! The staff are just these amazing people who will help in any way possible! Chris organized a trip to the Galapagos Island for my friend and I and it was absolutely amazing! Everything was so much more than I could have ever expected and I highly recommend staying at the Hostal Suites Madrid. There is a wonderful, well priced place to eat downstairs and the staff their are also fabulous! The rooms were clean and the air conditioning worked wonderful! The showers have awesome pressure with both hot and cold water! The front desk will call a safe cab and it was fabulous! The terrace upstairs provided a wonderful area to sit back and relax after the busy days and there is awesome wifi! We all became a bit like family and in the end, it was sad to say goodbye! Thank you to all of the wonderful people that I met!

There is no pool or fitness centre.

Room Tip: I was in room 103. There is one teeny window but you hear NOTHING from the cars out on the streets...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Chelsea S
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I stayed at Hostal Suites Madrid with a group at the end of May/Beginning of June, 2012. Christopher, the manager, spoke English and was beyond accommodating for our group! The downstairs cafeteria staff were all amazing, too. I have lots of different dietary needs (cannot drink milk, alochol, have foods made with butter or that are spicy or greasy) and I brought a translated sheet with me explaining my dietary needs. All of the food prepared for me was perfect, and nothing upset my stomach the whole time. When you travel, you will always be told to avoid fruits, vegetables, smoothies, and salads in case of traveller's diarrhea -- but I ate all of these at the cafe downstairs and my stomach was 100% fine. At the front desk, they sell all kinds of pop/juice/gatorade/water/yogurt. A supermarket is a five minute walk away. The air conditioning worked great, room staff made up our beds daily, and showers have both hot and cold water. The wifi is fast and I never had any issues with it. This hostel is priced very reasonably, and I felt safe staying there. It is located in an area that might be a bit unsafe to explore alone - so I would suggest walking to the street markets, etc. with other guests - but that is the only possible negative to this hostel. In our group, most rooms were quiet, but some experienced street noise and noise from the bar/club below (but all four girls in this room slept fine)! If you require a taxi, make sure to ask the front desk to call a reputable company for you (and they will). Thank you, Hostal Suites Madrid, for feeling like a second home to me for two weeks!

Room Tip: I stayed in 105 which was one of the rooms where you can hear the street noise/club music. It did no...
1 Thank Josselyn M
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Staying at this hostal for two weeks from May 22 - June 5th was an absolute pleasure. The staff are very friendly and accommodating. The rooms are very nice and spacious, and were always clean (often the ladies would clean them several times a day). They have a beautiful terrace where you can relax and enjoy yourself, and two computers from which you can access the internet. Also, the staff at the restaurant downstairs were incredibly helpful---they went out of their way to open early for us, so that we could have breakfast on days when we had to leave before 7AM for our daily activities. Overall, the people here were amazing during our stay. I highly recommend Hostal Suites Madrid if you are looking for a place to stay in Guayaquil, as I'm sure you will have an excellent experience.

1 Thank Jenny V
St. Albert, Canada
Reviewed June 9, 2012

This hostel was wonderful, the staff was excellent: they went out of their way for our group getting up at all hours in order to accommodate us, they were always nice. The hostel itself was very clean, the rooms were large and the terrace was a great place to enjoy others company or use the internet.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at this wonderful hostal for two weeks from May 22 - June 5. I was travelling with a group of university students that were doing community service work in Guayaquil. In December 2011, I stopped by briefly to see if this would be a location we would want to stay in. From the moment I walked in, it had a great vibe and the staff were wonderful. We did not hesitate to book the hostal. After, all my correspondence with Christopher, the manager, was excellent. He would always email me promptly and was always willing to help in any way. When we were on route, we were delayed and I let Chris know that we would be there very late. He proceeded to pick up food for us and had it waiting when we arrived at 1 AM. The entire two weeks, the staff were incredile. Our rooms were cleaned several times a day. They let us use the laundry facilities on the terrace and the wonderful women that did the laundry would some times even take down and fold our clothes. Chris, Jose and Francisco at the front desk were wonderful as well. They were incredibly helpful for any of our needs and made it feel like home. They actually felt like part of our family for the two weeks we were there and we really miss them. Also, the restaurant downstairs was also amazing and the staff there were great. On days that we had to be at our community locations before 7AM, they would open at 5:30AM so we could have breakfast. Again, I cannot explain any further how great this place is. If you are looking for a place to stay in Guayaquil, this is the best hostal ever!!! I will be travelling to Guayaquil for the same work next year and we will definitely stay at the Hostal Suites Madrid again.

1 Thank Cynthia P
Quito, Ecuador
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Very large clean rooms and nice bathrooms though we didn´t have hotwater (not a problem due to the heat). Very friendly owner who allowed us to stay beyond checkout in the waiting room. Located in the centre of town which can be noisy at times.

Excellent travel agency that helped us with a fantastic 5 day tour of Galapagos.

Definitely one of the better options if you´re looking for a cheap option in Guayaquil.

Recommended!