“Dont stay here!!!”
Review of Hotel La Fontana

Hotel La Fontana
Ranked #39 of 62 Hotels in Guayaquil
Reviewed April 18, 2013

This is the first bad review I have written on there but I felt I needed to do it as this hotel was the worst place I have ever stayed. The place was falling apart and the room was a state. It looked nothing like it did in the pictures. Plus the breakfast isn't even worth getting out of bed for. I couldn't even eat it. Whats even worse is that my mother left her watch in the room my accident and emailed the hotel within 30 minutes of leaving the place, telling them as we were staying there another night and we never got it back, so I wouldn't even trust the staff there. The is definitely other places to stay in Guayaquil that is nicer for the same price, do not be fooled by the pictures. The only plus point of this hotel is that it is in a central location.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank Emily N

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Don´t get fooled by the pics. The suites are nice, but the AC don´t work properly and the service is terrible!!! I recently stayed with my husband and my daughter (2 years) and they ignored our reservation for suite 202. They said they will have it ready later in the day (we arrived on a Sat. morning) and took them few hours before giving it to us. The AC in the room 203 (the one we were given in the meantime) didn´t really work and we were sweating.. To our surprise, suite 202 was not available and we were sent up to suite 302. This place has very narrow steps, and nobody helps you with your luggage. So, after two flights up, we were forced to drag our things one more flight up. Front desk ladies are all useless. Telephone doesn´t work. It was so freaking hot that in the middle of the night I called (personally) the front desk girl, so she confirmed that yes, we didn´t have AC. I opened the window and we all got mosquito bites. The next day we were moved to suite 202. AC was better but not great. My husband and I were in a permanent bad mood, my daughter crying constantly, and in this suite, other things were wrong, like the door didn´t close!! Also, cleaning ladies left our door open the two days!!!! We had our passports and money in there!!! Also they are going through renovations, but doing it cheap. Things fall down. When we finally got out of there, after two awful long days, the front desk girl accused us for an ink stain on the comforter, threatening us... And I had it! After I told her the stain was there when we got it, she argued that the ink was fresh... So, I told her that we should go to court ever since this ¨hotel¨is worth nothing, with no AC, service and that we were moved 3 times for a 2 day stay. This was by far the most awful place I have ever stayed. I hope they go out of biz soon. They really suck!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank SilviaSantacruz
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We had a reservation for a triple room. We arrived and they told us that one of their employees had made a mistake so the room was not available, but that they would provide us 3 single rooms for that night.

The next day I went downtown in the morning, and when I returned I realized that my stuff had been moved to the new room. Unbelievable, the staff of this hotel had sorted my clothes, moved my personal belongings without asking for any permission.

The worst part is that they think that they can do it. "As long as they don't steal its ok for them to move your stuff from room to room" , said the clerk about the cleaning ladies.

I can't stay at a hotel that doesn't understand that until checkout the room is private.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Primo V
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Entry is a very narrow 3 foot wide stairwell from street level to 2nd floor lobby, similar to entrances of $15. night hotels. No safety boxes in rooms and safekeeping is an unlocked drawer at desk. No drinks of any kind available for sale in hotel, when i asked where i could buy, the reply was one block down the street and across the street. I spend 9 months of the year travelling in south america staying in $30. to $70. a night hotels, La Fontana is probably the worst value for $50. i have encountered in the past 3 years. Beyond my comprehension how it made in onto "trip advisor's " list. Compared to other Guayaquil hotels should be $25. at max.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Bart R
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I would like to give this hotel a higher review, but unfortunately a safety issue brings down the rating. Hopefully they can correct it and I encourage those that read this review to keep their eyes open and reinforce the message.

First, the positives - The location is outstanding, the staff is responsive and willing to help and the room was clean.

Take it our leave it - The breakfast was okay, but the coffee was instant and the food was luke warm. It was as if it was prepared before hand and was wrapped in tinfoil or something to keep it warm. I don't know. Also the shower was luke warm.

Overall for the price if it wasn't for a safety issue I would give a rating of above average, 4 stars. I have stayed in many hotels in Ecuador and they do a good job at the hotel.

The Negative - At night they locked a second floor door that leads from reception to the rooms. When I came down at 4a because of an early flight I found myself trapped. The electric lock to exit did not work. After spending a minute or so rattling the door and searching I was able to unhinge half the door and exit just as a dreary eyed employee turned on lights and came to let me out. Turns out there were keys hanging in the hard lock, so anyone that wanted in could have easily done so, defeating the purpose of securing the door in the first place. Also at the main entrance on the first floor the door has an electric lock that works, but it is accessible from the outside so anyone that wants in the hotel at anytime of day can just reach through the door and activate the lock, then it is up the stairs to a wide open reception on the second floor.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank Richard_Feenstra
Reviewed August 14, 2012

My husband and I booked this hotel due to its affordable price and convenient location. The night we arrived to the hotel, they didn't have our reservation, but after my husband showed email confirmation they came up with the room that had one twin bed and no AC (even though we paid for 2 people and made reservation 2 weeks in advance). We didn't make a big deal even though we were really tired and had to spent the night on a small bed with open windows. The next day the hotel manager Ralf moved us to another room, however the room smelled like urine and sewage. After complaining about it,they promised us to move to another room but only the next day. The next day Ralf told us that we will need to wait another day and assured us that the new room will be super nice and we will love it. The next day he ignored us the entire day when we would ask him about the room so we had to spend another night in disgusting room. The next day we went to the beach and came back to the hotel around 9 pm to find out that they moved us to another room even though we were not packed. Basically, the housekeeper packed our stuff and took it to the new room!!!!. The new room was better so we went to sleep but the next morning one of the front desk ladies knocked on out door and said that Ralf wants to talk to us! We were still laying in bed so we told her that we will come later, but after 20 minutes she came back apologizing but informing us that our room rate will be $65 instead of $35! We got really mad since all we asked was another room, not a bigger room that they gave us! We went downstairs to talk to Ralf but since I was too upset to talk to him, I asked if I can talk to the owner of the hotel but he refused. When he refused I got my phone out and started recording our conversation, on what he started yelling at me that recording conversations is illegal in Ecuador and that he will call police on me!!! My husband told him to calm down and let us check out early and refund our money, but he refused! We went downstairs and talked to the police and they said that if he wont refund the money, they will help us out. After we informed Ralf about it, he told us to come back tomorrow (at this point one of the employees told us that he is the owner). We didnt want to come back the next day so when couple people came to check in, my husband told them that we are having problems with this hotel and moving out and right after that Ralf quickly informed us that the money will be refunded the same day however he charged us for the night since we were checking out at 3 pm!!!! At this point, we didnt care about $40 so we just took out money. Right before we left, I told Ralf that Im gonna make sure to write review online, on which he simply replied "I dont care". Long story short, I would never suggest this hotel to anyone. Don't support his business!

• Stayed: June 2012
11  Thank Aliyatravel
Reviewed June 2, 2012

On the plus side this hotel is in a very convenient location, the staff are very friendly and helpful and it's clean.

We had a few problems though, firstly needing to change beds (they gave us a very small bed, set up for one person despite knowing the booking was for a matrimonial) then needing to change room altogether because the aircon was pumping out very foul smells.

We were moved to the 'suite' which is the corner room mentioned in previous reviews and shown in the photo. This is a MUCH nicer room than all the rest - which although spacious have that rather depressing neon-lit business hotel feel. The 'suite' has a new aircon unit installed (which doesn't smell!) and is much quieter. It also has the 'views' (down the street and into offfice buildings opposite) previously mentioned from the large wrap around windows which are a nice feature. The curtains do not cover all of the windows though - we were told this was an intentional design but it just means that you have to hide in the bathroom to get changed if you don't want the office workers directly opposite to see you!

We also questioned the lack of mattress covers (mentioned in another older review - they just put a thin sheet straight on top of the mattresses) and were told that this was intentional - they have special mattresses that are anti-bacterial and don't need extra covers so it's actually more hygienic. Nice answer, but I'd still prefer them to use covers as well!

I would not agree with the previous review that calls this a 'boutique' hotel. I'd call it a business hotel. It has one nice room, and some artwork brightening up the walls. It's fine, and the corner suite is definitely the room to go for, but this hotel certainly has a few problems it needs to sort out. If it was 20 bucks cheaper you'd forgive it, but it's currently not really worth the $55 they charged us.

Room Tip: The corner suite is by far the nicest room