“Incredible location, great guide, comfortable & yet cheap”
Review of Cuyabeno Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cuyabeno Wildlife Reserve
Cuyabeno Lodge
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Incredible location, great guide, comfortable & yet cheap”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

I have been to the Amazon Jungle in most Amazon countries from Venezuela to Bolivia and Brazil. No other Amazon Park can be reached faster, cheaper and more comfortably. A mere 25 minutes flight from Quito and a 1,5 hour trip over an asphalt road gets you to the entrance of this enormous park, which still is in good state of conservation as you can see on Google Earth. No other accessible Amazon park offers you so many lakes and creeks. You can only really enjoy wildlife viewing in the tropical jungle from the water, as from land you look up to the canopy where the birds are and see very little because of the contrast between the sky and the leaves. From the water you see birds and wildlife much better and for that, the Cuyabeno Park is the best Amazon park in the world for visitation. It is much better than famous Manu Park in Peru and a lot cheaper. The Cuyabeno Lodge http://www.cuyabenolodge.com has comfortable clean friendly accommodation with brand new, surprisingly modern rooms, 24hrs of light from solar, battery charging, rain wear included, decent (but not high cuisine of course) free meals, hot showers, excellent excursions to maximize your visiting experience starting at dawn for the enthusiasts, night excursions, daytime swimming and all with pleasant resting times in between at the cosy common space / restaurant. Birding reference books present. Binoculars for rent. (Bring those with you though, how can you enjoy a trip without those! The waterproof ones from bushnell are now dirt cheap and decent). Located on a peninsula on one of the only high hills at the Cuyabeno Lake, This is the best located accommodation in the Park and one of the few that does not get flooded during high water - which is often in the rainforest. Located on the 15m high hill is the highest (12 m) crown observation tower in the park, overlooking the lake. Only complaint: 3 nights is not enough to see it all. Should have stayed longer. I love and will remember this place forever.

Room Tip: Ask for the new rooms. Cost a little extra but great view.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank wild-nature-guy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
United States
Reviewed May 30, 2012

I've been to lots of Amazon lodges (I work on ecotourism and rainforest conservation). Cuyabeno lodge stands apart for its commitment to being 'green' (owners are active in saving rainforest). And it is a private, prime location on a beautiful lake. We saw excellent birds (5 new species), monkeys, etc. our guide was terrific, fine food and my room in the tower was so nice i didn't ever want to leave!
the igapo forest is hauntingly beautiful -

Room Tip: Enjoy a swim in a clear beautiful lake at sunset! paddle in a stream
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank acaaliwife
Chicago
Reviewed May 16, 2012

I stayed at the lodge for 4 nights and had a really positive experience. Our guide was awesome and we saw tons of wild life. The Cabanas were clean, and the staff was very accommodating. I am a vegetarian and they made me separate vegetarian meals every night! I would've liked to have gone on a few more hikes, but I went during the wet season, so it seemed that the best way to see wildlife was by boat. I would recommend Cuyabeno Lodge to anyone going to the rainforest, as I had an absolutely incredible time!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Stephanie P
Riobamba, Ecuador
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Stayed at the lodge for four nights and really enjoyed the fact that you're in the middle of the parc (waking up to birds and monkeys). Cabanas were basic but really nice and clean; our guides and the food were excellent. Good combination of excursions and siësta, although I would appreciate more variaty in excursions.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank NickOpReis
New Milton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2012

My partner and I travelled around Ecuador for 1 month in February 2012 and wanted to include a jungle tour in our itinerary. Initially we were looking at lodges along the River Napo, when it was suggested that we try the Cuyabeno Reserve as this is primary jungle set amidst a flooded forest. Upon further research & recommendation, we were certain this was the best and only option as the wildlife is abundant and the setting unique. Having looked at various lodge options, Cuyabeno Lodge stood head and shoulders above the rest for quality, reputation and expertise. They are also the pioneers of ecotourism in the Cuyabeno reserve, having been established for over 20 years.

We booked a 4 day/3 night stay at very short notice, and staff made a special effort to secure the top tower room at our request. Having never experienced the jungle before, I had concerns about mosquitos, humidity & creepy crawlies, but I was surprised and relieved to discover these weren’t a major problem. In fact I had a very comfortable stay.

As for the tour, I knew from the moment we cruised along the River in the dugout canoe that this was going to be a magical experience. Our guide (Guilver) was extremely knowledgeable and had a keen eye for spotting wildlife. We saw monkeys, pink dolphins, anaconda, caiman, numerous exotic birds…oh, and the world’s most poisonous frog & venomous spider! I even managed to catch my first fish…a piranha!

The accommodation was very clean & comfortable (I highly recommend the tower rooms if you want a little extra luxury). The food was fresh, tasty and plentiful…the best meals we ate in Ecuador. The staff were friendly and professional, and created a family atmosphere. The daily activities were varied, full and fun, and we had a fantastic group to share them with.

We would both like to thank the entire team at Cuyabeno Lodge for making this once in a lifetime experience so memorable, with special thanks to Luis & Lucia for going the extra mile for us. Without doubt, this tour was the highlight of our trip to Ecuador.

For the ultimate jungle experience, Cuyabeno Lodge cannot be beaten.

Room Tip: For luxury at a little extra cost, go for the tower rooms...the top floor is the best!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TeamChickla
Gig Harbor, Washington
Reviewed January 4, 2012

The guide even spotted a nocturnal kinkajo at night on a river trip with a spot light! This tour is action packed as you are going out all day and night on tours by canoe, foot, boat. All included tours with great meals, transport, rustic lovely huts with hot water, and the sounds of the with bush to lulliy-by you to sleep. Anaconda, parana, and crocs share the water with you as you are invited to a sunset swim every evening! My final "cherry on top of my cake" was seeing a troop of RED howler monkeys as I was doing my final walk-about before leaving. This trip will go down in my long travel history as one of the best, and let me add that Ecuador in general is a LOVELY country to visit. The people are gentle and kind and this tiny place is packed with adventures, from the Cloud forests to the Galapagos, Andes, and of course, the AMAZING AMAZON! CHEERS!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank antqjar
Switzerland
Reviewed December 22, 2011

I spent 5 days there, the place is amazing! The cabins are lovely, eco friendly, and clean, the showers have hot water. Everything is done with solar energy. The food is good and healthy and they offer different fresh fruit juices every day. The staff is very friendly and helpful and the people at the office in Quito are just great.
The Lodge is right at the Laguna and the nature, the jungle around there is of the most beautiful in the world. The tours into the forest are well organized and it was great, I saw lots of different wildlife. The guide knew really well how to spot animals everywhere and find interesting places. You can swim in the Laguna and the sunsets are like a dream!
I travel all over the world and this is one of the best places I have ever been to, I can highly recommend it to anyone, don't miss this!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
#8 of 9 in Cuyabeno Wildlife Reserve
Sani Lodge
Sani Lodge
#2 of 3 in Yasuni National Park

Been to Cuyabeno Lodge? Share your experiences!