“Really enjoyed my stay!”
Review of Cuyabeno Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cuyabeno Wildlife Reserve
Cuyabeno Lodge
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Stayed at the lodge for four nights and really enjoyed the fact that you're in the middle of the parc (waking up to birds and monkeys). Cabanas were basic but really nice and clean; our guides and the food were excellent. Good combination of excursions and siësta, although I would appreciate more variaty in excursions.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank NickOpReis
There are newer reviews for Cuyabeno Lodge

Reviewed March 3, 2012

My partner and I travelled around Ecuador for 1 month in February 2012 and wanted to include a jungle tour in our itinerary. Initially we were looking at lodges along the River Napo, when it was suggested that we try the Cuyabeno Reserve as this is primary jungle set amidst a flooded forest. Upon further research & recommendation, we were certain this was the best and only option as the wildlife is abundant and the setting unique. Having looked at various lodge options, Cuyabeno Lodge stood head and shoulders above the rest for quality, reputation and expertise. They are also the pioneers of ecotourism in the Cuyabeno reserve, having been established for over 20 years.

We booked a 4 day/3 night stay at very short notice, and staff made a special effort to secure the top tower room at our request. Having never experienced the jungle before, I had concerns about mosquitos, humidity & creepy crawlies, but I was surprised and relieved to discover these weren’t a major problem. In fact I had a very comfortable stay.

As for the tour, I knew from the moment we cruised along the River in the dugout canoe that this was going to be a magical experience. Our guide (Guilver) was extremely knowledgeable and had a keen eye for spotting wildlife. We saw monkeys, pink dolphins, anaconda, caiman, numerous exotic birds…oh, and the world’s most poisonous frog & venomous spider! I even managed to catch my first fish…a piranha!

The accommodation was very clean & comfortable (I highly recommend the tower rooms if you want a little extra luxury). The food was fresh, tasty and plentiful…the best meals we ate in Ecuador. The staff were friendly and professional, and created a family atmosphere. The daily activities were varied, full and fun, and we had a fantastic group to share them with.

We would both like to thank the entire team at Cuyabeno Lodge for making this once in a lifetime experience so memorable, with special thanks to Luis & Lucia for going the extra mile for us. Without doubt, this tour was the highlight of our trip to Ecuador.

For the ultimate jungle experience, Cuyabeno Lodge cannot be beaten.

Room Tip: For luxury at a little extra cost, go for the tower rooms...the top floor is the best!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TeamChickla
Reviewed January 4, 2012

The guide even spotted a nocturnal kinkajo at night on a river trip with a spot light! This tour is action packed as you are going out all day and night on tours by canoe, foot, boat. All included tours with great meals, transport, rustic lovely huts with hot water, and the sounds of the with bush to lulliy-by you to sleep. Anaconda, parana, and crocs share the water with you as you are invited to a sunset swim every evening! My final "cherry on top of my cake" was seeing a troop of RED howler monkeys as I was doing my final walk-about before leaving. This trip will go down in my long travel history as one of the best, and let me add that Ecuador in general is a LOVELY country to visit. The people are gentle and kind and this tiny place is packed with adventures, from the Cloud forests to the Galapagos, Andes, and of course, the AMAZING AMAZON! CHEERS!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank antqjar
Reviewed December 22, 2011

I spent 5 days there, the place is amazing! The cabins are lovely, eco friendly, and clean, the showers have hot water. Everything is done with solar energy. The food is good and healthy and they offer different fresh fruit juices every day. The staff is very friendly and helpful and the people at the office in Quito are just great.
The Lodge is right at the Laguna and the nature, the jungle around there is of the most beautiful in the world. The tours into the forest are well organized and it was great, I saw lots of different wildlife. The guide knew really well how to spot animals everywhere and find interesting places. You can swim in the Laguna and the sunsets are like a dream!
I travel all over the world and this is one of the best places I have ever been to, I can highly recommend it to anyone, don't miss this!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Jasmin W
Reviewed November 19, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for 5 days/4 nights and had a very nice time. As we'd previously spent time in a jungle we decided that we wanted a bit of extra luxury than we'd previously experienced (mattress on the floor, old mosy net) so we paid a little extra and went for the 3rd floor tower room. It was very much worth the extra cost as the room was very clean and comfortable and added to this we had a tree-top view of the surrounding area from which we saw amongst other things a family of toucans! The staff were very friendly, the food nice and plenty of it and the guides attached to the lodge are very good especially if Sulema, our guide,is anything to go by. You need to be prepared for the fact that you are in a jungle and as such need to be open to the idea of frogs and moths being visitors to your room but this was just part of the fun for us.

Room Tip: The 3rd floor tower room is amazing. We have no idea about the other rooms as we didn't experien...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Simon N
Reviewed November 18, 2011

Great lodge, especially if you want to go deeper in the jungle. It was a 30 minute plan ride from Quito, 2 hours car ride and 2 hour powered canoe to get to the lodge but worth it!!. Spent 4 nights. I booked the observation tower room which is a must especially if you want some extra comfort. It was $50.00 more for the whole stay and more than worth it. There are only 3 rooms so be sure to reserve. I went in Oct which was the dry season and the river was very low and getting around was more difficult and didn't see as much wildlife because of the season. The food was EXCELLENT and the staff friendly. I was a little concerned being less than 50 miles from the Columbia but no problems at all. Felt safe, a few of the guides speak English but I now understand why everyone asked if I spoke English, there are very few English speaking Ecuadorians. Be sure to visit Quito and the Equator really fascinating.

Room Tip: Definitely get the observation room.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank Jo Ann S
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Would go again. Comfortable. Safe. Insects not a problem. Staff great. Food fine. Bring good flashlights.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
#5 of 9 in Cuyabeno Wildlife Reserve
Cuyabeno River Lodge
Cuyabeno River Lodge
#7 of 9 in Cuyabeno Wildlife Reserve

Been to Cuyabeno Lodge? Share your experiences!