“Great experience in the amazon”
Review of Samona Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cuyabeno Wildlife Reserve
Samona Lodge
Solihull, England, United Kingdom
“Great experience in the amazon”
Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

Bedding changed daily, lodges have a bathroom with hot water showers, staff very friendly and helpful, food was also good.

Lots of cockroaches in the room, some have tarantulas, but this is in the middle of the jungle so part of the experience :)

There is a nice area correlating with hammocks and sofas, where they also have electricity during daylight (solar panel system).

English speaking guides that are telly enthusiastic about everything you will see. They provide everyone with weeklies and a rain poncho... But still take your waterproof!

Saw alligators, exotic birds, frogs, loads of insects and big spiders, pink dolphins, turtles, bats, fireflies and anacondas and more.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Adam G

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
ISRAEL
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Samona lodge proved the ideal place for a soft landing in the Amazon of Ecuador. After 8 hours by bus to Lago Agrio, 2 more to the river and 2 more in torrential rain in an open canoe we arrived in the lodge having already witnessed a juvenile anaconda, several birds and a monkey en-route. Hote is buikt on stilts which proved useful during the night when the river rose by 15 inches and enabled the resident caiman to assume his strategic position under the kitchen. Staff were friendly, the food was good, the cabins were comfortable and the guides were professional.
My entire family (6-60 years of age) enjoyed and would gladly recommend to our friends

Room Tip: Choose a room with a roof - there are plenty of rains
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank alonw
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We didn't do much research into the different lodges as this one was recommended to us by our apartment owner in Quito. She said 'everyone returns happy' - and this is true! The experience was perfect from start to finish: we got picked up from Lago Argio airport (about half of our group flew, the other half took the bus from Quito, which they said was pretty horrendous), driven to the canoes and then sailed to the lodge in about 2 hours. Our guide Pajaro was amazing and every trip we did from the lodge, we saw lots and lots of animals.

The lodge is certainly not a 4 star hotel and the rooms are open to all kinds of animals, but the food and the service make up for this! Every mail was 3 courses and very delicious and coffee, tea and alcohol always available.

When passing by the other lodges and seeing the other groups, I don't think there are major differences between the lodges. I also think all the tours they do are the same.

The only downside is that we didn't get to do the Piranha fishing (apparently it's now banned) or the water tubing, both are still mentioned on the website.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Timmeronline
Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Guide and staff were excellent. I visited also the Samona lodge, but Samona is nicer to me. Plan at least 4 days to stay, it is worth it. Bring a flashlight with you as well as insect spray and suncreme

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank dave303
Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed May 26, 2013

They gave me exactly what I wanted in the jungle! Their lodge is so beautiful and well maintained. The rooms are also very comfortable with hot water. I can not write enough about the food! That was the best food I ate in all of Ecuador. The activities we did were also so amazing. Take my word! You won't regret it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank claymana
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I found this trip through Happy Gringo online and I believe it was Cristina I emailed with back and forth up until my trip. She was great and informative. I was traveling solo in Ecuador (stayed with a family in Quito for 6 days before) and on the Sunday before my trip to the Amazon, my friend dropped me off at the bus terminal for my trip to Lago Agrio. I'm not fluent in Spanish, so I really had to listen for my bus number called. We left about 9pm, arrived around 6am. The drive itself was ok, a little bumpy and hot, earplugs were nice since a movie was playing loud non stop, haha. For $8 though, I couldn't really complain. Lago Agrio was much warmer than Quito, so my many layers I wore had to be tucked into my backpack. I got off my bus a little too early, so had to walk quite a ways until I got to the hotel. I first stopped at a bank to change my $20 bill into smaller bills to take to the lodge for tip money. Once at the hotel, there were already a few people there waiting for the trip (from Ireland, Norway, Denmark, Australia, San Francisco, and eastern Washington) and luckily the hotel had a free breakfast, it was eaten very fast. We waited a couple hours and our next bus arrived to drive us 2 hours (stopped at the airport to pick up a few people) to the Cuyabeno River meeting spot. That was a scary drive! Once at the river, it was hotter than heck, we had lunch provided and we had to pay the admission to get into the reserve, like $10. Make sure to get a water bottle to use throughout your stay at the lodge. Our boats arrived and that was almost a 3 hour ride to the lodge, mostly stopping to look at all the great animals on the way. Our guide was Jairo and he was awesome, spoke perfect English, was so enthusiastic and informative. Make sure once it's dark to use your flashlights out on the catwalks around the hits, there are all kinds of creatures crossing the planks! Especially tarantulas. I had my own room in the Jaguar hut and it was spacious, had a semi comfy & clean bed, with own bathroom (can't put paper in the toilet though!), shower, and bed was complete with mosquito net that made me feel safe at night, haha. Took me 20 minutes to get it tucked just right. The rooms are quite dark, but that's what the candles are for. There's also a solar charger for camera batteries and such in one of the huts, too. The food was fantastic, meals were complete, usually 3 courses. After a long day's hike, we were all ravenous for it. I think I lost 5 lbs in those 5 days, though, haha. There are no windows with glass anywhere, so be prepared for the elements and critters! Especially frogs and tarantulas hiding about. My group was awesome, so that just made it all that much better. We got to take a day hike (got to see the flora/fauna of the forest, see bullet ants which are scary, try tree bark that numbs your mouth, etc), night hike (saw lots of creepy crawlies), swim in the laguna at dusk, look for caiman, fish for piranha (I even caught one!), go to a village and make yucca bread, I was blessed by a Shaman, got my face painted with a red plant, rowed around the river, and just see the most amazing sights I'll probably never see again. We saw pretty much every bird/animal we wanted other than the elusive anaconda, darn! I think I paid around $250 for the great adventure and I'd so do it again, it was a bargain and Samona is a fantastic place to leave reality and never want to go back. Our last day there, I was a little sad to leave and sad to say goodbye to my lodge buddies. I still keep in contact with some of them, fortunately. I ended up taking the plane back to Quito, about $60 one way and only 30 minutes or so. Take this trip if the outside doesn't scare you! Totally worth it!!

Room Tip: You get placed where they tell you. Tuck the mosquito net tight under your mattress and leave your s...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank joannaL84
Mugla, Turkey
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We have seen a lot in the environment but the lodge was poorly kept: Dark and dirty rooms, lots of cockroaches, mosquito nets full of holes, etc. Food was quite bad: I got upset stomach and eventually diarrhea. The naturalist guide Diego was very good, but the "translator" was not able to speak much English, so I missed quite a bit...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
#5 of 9 in Cuyabeno Wildlife Reserve
La Selva Amazon Ecolodge
La Selva Amazon Ecolodge
#1 of 4 in Yasuni National Park

Been to Samona Lodge? Share your experiences!