“Excellent stay in the jungle”
Review of Samona Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cuyabeno Wildlife Reserve
Samona Lodge
Bern, Switzerland
“Excellent stay in the jungle”
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Guide and staff were excellent. I visited also the Samona lodge, but Samona is nicer to me. Plan at least 4 days to stay, it is worth it. Bring a flashlight with you as well as insect spray and suncreme

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank dave303

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed May 26, 2013

They gave me exactly what I wanted in the jungle! Their lodge is so beautiful and well maintained. The rooms are also very comfortable with hot water. I can not write enough about the food! That was the best food I ate in all of Ecuador. The activities we did were also so amazing. Take my word! You won't regret it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank claymana
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I found this trip through Happy Gringo online and I believe it was Cristina I emailed with back and forth up until my trip. She was great and informative. I was traveling solo in Ecuador (stayed with a family in Quito for 6 days before) and on the Sunday before my trip to the Amazon, my friend dropped me off at the bus terminal for my trip to Lago Agrio. I'm not fluent in Spanish, so I really had to listen for my bus number called. We left about 9pm, arrived around 6am. The drive itself was ok, a little bumpy and hot, earplugs were nice since a movie was playing loud non stop, haha. For $8 though, I couldn't really complain. Lago Agrio was much warmer than Quito, so my many layers I wore had to be tucked into my backpack. I got off my bus a little too early, so had to walk quite a ways until I got to the hotel. I first stopped at a bank to change my $20 bill into smaller bills to take to the lodge for tip money. Once at the hotel, there were already a few people there waiting for the trip (from Ireland, Norway, Denmark, Australia, San Francisco, and eastern Washington) and luckily the hotel had a free breakfast, it was eaten very fast. We waited a couple hours and our next bus arrived to drive us 2 hours (stopped at the airport to pick up a few people) to the Cuyabeno River meeting spot. That was a scary drive! Once at the river, it was hotter than heck, we had lunch provided and we had to pay the admission to get into the reserve, like $10. Make sure to get a water bottle to use throughout your stay at the lodge. Our boats arrived and that was almost a 3 hour ride to the lodge, mostly stopping to look at all the great animals on the way. Our guide was Jairo and he was awesome, spoke perfect English, was so enthusiastic and informative. Make sure once it's dark to use your flashlights out on the catwalks around the hits, there are all kinds of creatures crossing the planks! Especially tarantulas. I had my own room in the Jaguar hut and it was spacious, had a semi comfy & clean bed, with own bathroom (can't put paper in the toilet though!), shower, and bed was complete with mosquito net that made me feel safe at night, haha. Took me 20 minutes to get it tucked just right. The rooms are quite dark, but that's what the candles are for. There's also a solar charger for camera batteries and such in one of the huts, too. The food was fantastic, meals were complete, usually 3 courses. After a long day's hike, we were all ravenous for it. I think I lost 5 lbs in those 5 days, though, haha. There are no windows with glass anywhere, so be prepared for the elements and critters! Especially frogs and tarantulas hiding about. My group was awesome, so that just made it all that much better. We got to take a day hike (got to see the flora/fauna of the forest, see bullet ants which are scary, try tree bark that numbs your mouth, etc), night hike (saw lots of creepy crawlies), swim in the laguna at dusk, look for caiman, fish for piranha (I even caught one!), go to a village and make yucca bread, I was blessed by a Shaman, got my face painted with a red plant, rowed around the river, and just see the most amazing sights I'll probably never see again. We saw pretty much every bird/animal we wanted other than the elusive anaconda, darn! I think I paid around $250 for the great adventure and I'd so do it again, it was a bargain and Samona is a fantastic place to leave reality and never want to go back. Our last day there, I was a little sad to leave and sad to say goodbye to my lodge buddies. I still keep in contact with some of them, fortunately. I ended up taking the plane back to Quito, about $60 one way and only 30 minutes or so. Take this trip if the outside doesn't scare you! Totally worth it!!

Room Tip: You get placed where they tell you. Tuck the mosquito net tight under your mattress and leave your s...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank joannaL84
Mugla, Turkey
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We have seen a lot in the environment but the lodge was poorly kept: Dark and dirty rooms, lots of cockroaches, mosquito nets full of holes, etc. Food was quite bad: I got upset stomach and eventually diarrhea. The naturalist guide Diego was very good, but the "translator" was not able to speak much English, so I missed quite a bit...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Booked a four day, three night package through Gulliver in Quito, flew into Lago Agrio and met up with the group in town. After about a two hour bus ride we entered into the Cuyabeno Reserve and tranfered to boats for another couple of hour journey down the river.

Arriving at the property, I was given my own room (even though it had three beds) complete with an attached bath. I found the facilities very comfortable, the beds clean, the water hot and the food was very well prepared. Although a bit worn in spots the lodge provided all the comforts one needs one their jungle adventure.

Patrick our guide provided humorous and knowledgeable information throughout the tour. We saw pretty all the creatures one would expect to find - the one thing to remember is that one may not get super close to a lot of it due to the nature of where one is (on a boat or standing at the bottom of a 30m tall tree).

Really enjoyed the early morning and sunset "cruises" onto the lake.

Overall - the tour was everything that I excepted. The time frame was perfect as well - I do not "sit well" for long and we had tours and things to do through out the day - including some down time during the high heat of the day.

Good value.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Good2GoTravel
San Francisco
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Jairo was spectacular! Very good English, native to the surrounding area (well, he was from Lago Agrio), warm and fun personality, told you what you needed to know and the guy spotted the fauna like nobody's business. He even caught a caiman (alligator) for us! The lodge was simple but very clean and well kept. Bed was comfortable, bedding clean, net was in good condition. Food was decent, last dinner was the best. Staff was quick and accommodating if you needed anything (towels, shampoo, etc). Beer was very affordable. We were surprised to see so few bugs in our room. Resident tarantulas and frogs stayed outside and made it cool. We went in late Sept and were lucky it only rained a bit on our first day and maybe at night. I think the weather is unpredictable as it rained straight days for folks before us. Note: some rain is necessary as the river level drops drastically if it doesn't rain for days and boats need to go through. We highly recommend going to the Cuyabeno area and staying at Samona!

Room Tip: Rooms were assigned once we got there, but seems like there may be lee way to request for a specific...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank afternoonnaps
Rosario, Santa Fe, Argentina
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Fue una de las experiencias mas increibles, estar en el medio de la selva pero con comodidades como agua caliente y una comida excelente. Por las noches escuchar el croar de las ranas de una manera increible y sentirte en la selva. Vimos muchisimos monos , serpientes, tucanes, delfines, caimanes, ranas de todos colores, mariposas de todos colores, bichos en la noche que ni me acuerdo que eran , pirañas, tarántulas, fue increible y Juan fue el mejor guía. Ganas un monton por tan poco precio. Lo recomiendo al mil por ciento.

It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life, to be in the middle of the jungles but with thing like hot water and excelent meals. At night you can hear the frogs reallly near you and feel yourself in the jungle.We saw mokeys, snakes, tucans , dolphins, crocodiles, many coloured frogs, a lot of bugs that I still don´t know what they where, piranhas, tarántulas, it was amazing and Juan was the best guide. You get a lot for a little money. I totally recommend it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Green Forest Ecolodge
Green Forest Ecolodge
#5 of 9 in Cuyabeno Wildlife Reserve
Cotococha Amazon Lodge

Been to Samona Lodge? Share your experiences!