“On the lake”
Review of Hotel Ihusi

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Goma
Hotel Ihusi
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Goma
Makati, Philippines
“On the lake”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

The hotel is just OK but the bar(s) are lovely.
One on the lake with a view of the mountains in Rwanda, surrounded by a nice garden (also a fake lion!).
The other on the pool, nicely overlooking the garden.
Perfect place to stay in Goma and to enjoy the city.
Very close to Rwanda border.
The right place to have a Tembo a a nice salad!
Very friendly staffs.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Tallinn, Estonia
Reviewed July 5, 2012

The hotel is respectable for Goma, but the location is exceptional. Really a little oasis with nice views from the room. The pool is nice and clean. The breakfast is not very good and the food prices in the restaurant are high. The room is ok with a decent bed, but the bathrooms need renovating. Overall decent value.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back towards the restaurant. The front rooms apparently get very noisy on the...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Suur_D
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Friendly staff, comfortable & clean rooms, albeit a tad small. The view of Lake Kivu from the hotel is spectacular.

Room Tip: Lake view is a must
Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I've worked in and traveled to Goma for seven years and on my most recent visit checked into the Ihusi after plans to stay with friends fell through. I then promptly checked out. First, the rooms are much higher priced than they used to be. The only rooms available when I arrived were the $100 category, these have windows that open to look at a rock wall, no lake view or breeze whatsoever. The decor is out of date, the safes don't work, and the refrigerator had dead bugs inside when I opened it.

I had paid for five nights in advance (as is standard in DRC), so when I dragged my bags back to reception to demand my money back, there was a fuss. They did offer to put me in another room, but the bugs grossed me out and I knew I didn't want to stay there. It ended up with the manager refusing to refund my money, and as I argued, he finally engaged me in what amounted to a staring contest. I finally "won" by not backing down from his gaze and he agreed to allow his staff to give back the exact same $500 in cash I had handed them less than an hour before. It was, without a doubt, the most ridiculous experience I've ever had in DRC, which is saying something.

I got a cab after that and went to Hotel Linda, which in addition to having most of its rooms having lake views also only asked $85/night for a lovely, modern room with a balcony.

Also, an ethical warning: the owners of Ihusi Hotel are known to have given substantial amounts of money and weapons to one of the region's rebel movements. It is unclear whether this continues, but keep in mind that it's almost impossible to stay in a hotel in Goma (save the church guesthouses) that doesn't funnel money or get "taxed" by various questionable political-military movements. Staying at Ihusi means that some of the money you'll spend there is almost certainly going to people who have worked/are working against the causes of human rights and peace. Caveat emptor.

Room Tip: You're going to have to pay about $150-200 per night to get a room with a decent breeze and view...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank sixthgentexan
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed June 16, 2012

I had given it a four just before I was supposed to leave, then I couldn't get on the plane and had to stay a few more days. The cheating on the bill was what made me change the rating. They put seven days instead of six and looked very nervous when I counted the days on my fingers just before they handed me the bill. It was pretty clear he was taking forever doing the calculation so I would be in a hurry and just pay. The bill was also very complicated and hand-written to make it hard to tell.

The place is beautiful and the rooms are not bad, reasonably clean and pleasant. I felt safe here as a woman alone which is my top priority. The room had a safe, but like many places in Africa, it didn't actually work. I had to have someone come twice to get it working and then I wasn't entirely convinced it was secure.

The hotel grounds are gorgeous. The bar and restaurant overlook the lake; beautiful. The service is super slow and the food mediocre at best (but expensive), but in such a lovely place, it didn't matter that much. The rooms are not at all soundproof, so if there is a party on the weekend, it is best just to join in.

Honestly, I was happy with this place. If I come back again I will stay here again, but I just can't give a very high rating to a place which obviously allows theft and cheats on the bill.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 10, 2012

I stayed here with a business group in late 2010. It was the best hotel we stayed in during our tour of the Kivus. No it's not a western-style hotel with marble and fake columns, but it's clean and comfortable with a great location right on the lake (beware the mozzies at night!). Food is ok, staff friendly and rooms large if basic.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Peter W
Lubumbashi, Democratic Republic of the Congo
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Ihusi Hotel is undoubtedly one of the nicest places to stay in all DR Congo
It is nicely settled at the edge of the Kivu Lake and the family of crowned cranes wandering around certainly adds the holiday touch on it.

Rooms are basic but clean. Only drawback is bathrooms which would need to get renovated.

The restaurant offers good quality fresh food but be prepared to wait up to one hour before you get your order.

Breakfast is excellent, especially the local fruit salad and the coffee is also local.

All in all one of the nicest places to stay in the country especially given the poor quality of the average lodging options in the DRC

Room Tip: Ask for one of the rooms on first floor as they have a small terrace with brilliant lake view
Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank frosty1575
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goma
Hotel la Versaille
Cap Kivu Hotel
Cap Kivu Hotel
#4 of 11 in Goma
Discover Rwanda Gisenyi Beach

Been to Hotel Ihusi? Share your experiences!