“Irritating, Rude, Etreme Nuisance, Awful = IRENA” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Villa Irena

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Trogir
Villa Irena
Ranked #16 of 124 Specialty Lodging in Trogir
London
“Irritating, Rude, Etreme Nuisance, Awful = IRENA”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2009

I stayed at Villa Irena in June 2009. I read about the Villa on the internet and was very excited about the outdoor onsite gymnasium, the Jacuzzi and the “Luxury equipped Villa Irena Apartments” in general. The apartments had a lovely view of the coast and were surrounded by pretty gardens. There was a rather steep walk down a very rough path to the beach and at the bottom of the hill was a lovely restaurant called ZULU’s. The mussels there are the BEST mussels I have ever tasted and their Gorgonzola pasta was also delicious!

BUT Villa I R E N A was disappointing……..

On arrival little by little the Villa and Irena started getting under my skin! I was first INFURIATED when I discovered that Mark had totally taken advantage of our group with the airport pick up. We arrived in the morning and Mark collected us from the airport. He charged us 600KUNA! Our friends arrived later, took a regular taxi and only paid 180KUNA! When I asked Irena about this she said you have to be careful with taxi drivers and it would have been better if we had booked a transfer through them – when I told her it was her SON who collected us and it was booked through them she didn’t really know what to say! Then she tried to cover it up and say “Well that’s because there were 6 of you!” and when I told her there were 8 in the other taxi she was totally speechless! I was furious!

On their website they write that the “Friendly personnel of Villa Irena is there for your service”. Throughout the whole stay I do not personally feel that they provided a “SERVICE”. I feel that we were being watched and supervised for the duration of the stay. On arrival Irena came along all smiling and appeared perfectly pleasant. She dished out 101 rules about the fridge, the lights, the boiler, the pool, the keys, footwear, food & drink etc,etc. I honestly felt like we were on some sort of school trip and she was the teacher who would be making sure that we did everything as she asked. What she should have done was provide the remote control for the air conditioning – which we never got, shown us how to operate the Jacuzzi – which she only allowed us to use on the LAST DAY for 15 MINUTES, told us about the gym equipment – which stayed permanently covered and we were never able to use, told us about the barbeque, shown us the fastest route down to the beach etc etc BUT those things obviously seemed irrelevant to her.

The apartments on the whole were ok. I will post some photos very soon. Our apartment would have been far more comfortable had Irena provided us with the air-conditioning remote as it did get very hot and the air con would have made it more bearable. The shower in the bathroom was very small. It was a shower above a half size bath tub and the boiler took up half of the already limited bath space. We burnt ourselves on the boiler a couple of times as you couldn’t help but bump into it when you were showering! The kitchen was well equipped with a good size fridge and the bedrooms were fine also.

In their mission statement they say that they aim to provide a “memorable experience”! Villa Irena was certainly memorable BUT for all the wrong reasons!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Georgia78London

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Aussie in Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2009

I stayed at Villa Irena with a large group of people for a week in early June 2009, so basically a month ago, same group of 25-30 people that have sent in some reviews to this website.

Actually we celebrated my 40th birthday for the week, I co-hosted my birthday with a friend from the UK, whom shares the same day, month and year with me.

Enjoyed Trogir and Croatia immensely. The culture, people, food, weather and beaches were fantastic, beer was rather good as well. But the problem was Boot Camp Irena.

Our first day at the villa, Irena introduced herself and basically layed down the 101 rules and regulations of boot camp, and these ranged from what you can not do at the pool, such as eating, drinking, smoking, ball games, and I`m surprised breathing air wasn`t on this list, to where recycling must not be put, no bare feet in the villa, to no loud noise levels, etc etc.

Considering most people in our age group were 30/40/50 +, and sufficiently house trained you could say, I thought she might have been confused that were actually an incognito travelling football team aged in our 20`s, but apparently not. It appears if you are a couple, group, family or even by yourself, you are still welcome to boot camp`s rules and regulations, alas.

During our stay of a week, my personal experience of the apartment I stayed in with 3 others, highlighted a lack of services and ameneties . For example, no new bedding, no new towels, toilet paper was scarcer than hen`s teeth, air conditioning and TV remotes failed to exist, so obviously this equipment is advertised, but can not be operated. The BBQ grill mysteriously disappeared each time is was used, so generally service levels were very poor in my opinion.

However, bright and early each morning Irena was on hand to discuss unacceptable noise levels at night, what is acceptable for 25-30 people ? It will obviously be far greater than a couple staying at the villa ? Reinforce pool and BBQ laws, go through apartment regulations and policies, and this continued onwards each day at regular intervals until the final sortie was operated around 11pm to midnight, perhaps we were sufficiently chastised by then, one wonders.

So in short, this idyllic and wonderful spot has the potential to be a jewel in Trogir if managed correctly and some of this negative energy is directed into providing basic amenities and services, plus providing a friendly and relaxing environment for all. But sadly Villa Irena does not.

6 Thank Micko038
Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2009

I spent a great holiday in Trogir with my class. We had a group of about 25 people and we had rooms in Villa Irena and also in Villa Julio. I totally fell in love with Croatia - lovely people, beautiful and clean places and relaxed atmosphere and of course Villa Irena. The location was great - lots of bars, restaurants and cafes, a beach, a supermarket and a bus stop were all within walking distance of the villas. Rooms were nice and clean and the view was great. Pool, grill and exercise equipment were a nice extra.
The owners were very friendly. For example they helped us with the grill when we
wanted to have a grill party. They showed us the best places where to buy food or to go for a drink and they were always there for us if we needed something. They also helped us to arrange airport pick up and programme like a grand boat trip and a great visit to the national park!
The only weak point was that some of us had to change our room once because of some kind of booking error, but personally it was more than ok for me - we got a better room and our whole group got a lift to airport for free.
I would definitely go to Villa Irena again - maybe some day! :)

• Stayed May 2009
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2009

VILLA IRENA was the perfect place to greet us, along with the open arms of the Markovics, when we arrived after a stunning drive on the Vienna to Croatia autobahn. All four of my children say that of their many trips abroad, Croatia has by far been their favorite on so many levels.

The location of Villa Irena is ideal ~ whether you are seeking a simple stroll to the beach or for a bite at a cafe, or a beautiful drive to one of the amazing historical sites or impressive national parks. Daily we made our way to the crystal clear beach for a swim, but throughout the week, we took day trips to magical Trogir, awe inspiring Diocletian Palace in Split, the rugged island of Brac (Bol beach) via the Split ferry and lush Krka National Park. No doubt my children were immersed in a fascinating, warm and inviting culture in all venues.

What was an added bonus? One evening we were invited to dine alfresco with our lovely owners and their extended family. Sharing the evening with such a welcoming family over an authentic Croatian meal with free flowing wine, is indelibly etched in my husband's and my mind as one of the most amazing travel experiences we've had.

I have recommended VILLA IRENA to many friends and family. The sweet hugs and kisses from Irena as we piled into the car for the trek back to Austria was a tender sendoff that will some day take me, my husband, and my four children back to that part of the world.

Monique ~ Washington, DC

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Kensington, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2009

Wow. My husband, 2 daughters and I have visited Villa Irena not once, but twice. We went 2 years in a row. The only reason we are not there now is that we feel guilty not showing our daughters the rest of the world. I think that Villa Irena is the perfect stay for a family that wants to relax, read, take a stroll or enjoy the Adriatic.

We had none of the experiences that were mentioned by the above group, as a matter of fact, during one of our stays I came down with a high fever for 2 days and Irena and her husband could not have been kinder. They came to my room with extra blankets and ibuprofen. They were so solicitous of my welfare and they personally made dinner for my husband and daughters one night while I was ill.

The Markovic Family has left us with many wonderful memories of Dalmatia. I would recommend their relaxing flats to ALL, in fact, I have. I raved about it to my dear friend Monique, and she went with her husband and 4 children and had a grand time. Irena and her family treated my friends just as she treated us; with respect and kindness. I think respect is something that is earned by well-mannered people.

If you are looking for a quiet, relaxing apartment withg incredible views and kind people, you should seriously consider the extraordinary Villa Irena. You will not be disappointed. Cheers,
Stephanie from Washington, D.C.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2009

Just a quick note to say Hvala. We had a wonderful time in Croatia. The Croatian people are so welcoming and humble. We loved Trogir and Hvar; although we had an adventure as we were stranded in Hvar Town on a Sunday because we missed the last ferry but Stari Grad took us in and it was an experience to say the least! We missed seeing the Krka National Park and Salona but this is all the more reason to come back.

What made our visit most pleasurable was staying in Apartment Mark in Villa Irena. It did not let us down. The team were all so helpful and so welcoming! Irena was very kind [especially providing us with endless amounts of toilet paper!] and thank you to Josip for the lift to and from the airport. Also, one night we went to the recommended Fontana restaurant and we think it was Irena brother [a bald man] who drove us to Trogir late one evening, so thank you to him too.

The area that Villa Irena is situated is all so peaceful and immaculate. Great location, not too far to walk or get on the bus, as well as the beach literally on our doorstep! Either way, we ate well, slept well, learnt Croatian, swam in the sea and relaxed; exactly what we came for!

Hope to return soon and recommend Villa Irena to our friends and colleagues!

Harvey

Toronto
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2009

I attended the same event as Bev, below. We paid $1550 Canadian for a one week stay in one of the 2 bedroom apartments (one of the larger ones). For the money it was just ok but could have been better if we felt that the stay was exclusive and not like we were a guest in somebody's home. Irena was there every day checking up on us like were were kids! They advertised A/C yet there was no way to turn it on, they advertised a BBQ yet no grill to cook on, jacuzzi, patio furniture etc....all these things we had to specifically ask for.
Another thing that was not on is the arrangement of airport travel to the villa - Irena arranged a large taxi for 550 Kuna while I arranged my own for only 180 Kune ??? How does that work? Same amount of people in a large van - just 2 different companies. Thank you Yuri and Toni Goles for all your taxi services while we were in Seget Donji!!!

The beach, food, weather, people were all great - wonderful place to visit in Croatia!
The weather, food, company,

• 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank amacg
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trogir
Hotel Jadran
#7 of 124 in Trogir
Apartments Villa Goja
Apartments Villa Goja
#14 of 53 in Trogir

Been to Villa Irena? Share your experiences!