“Poor value for the money” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Resort Amarin

Resort Amarin
Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Rovinj
Rijeka, Croatia
“Poor value for the money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

I stayed in the Resort just for one night, but in this short period of time, I managed to acquire a few unpleasant experiences. We stayed in one of the bungalows, and upon entrance, noticed that one of the towels was quite dirty (although placed on the towel rack as clean). Both soap dispensers were empty. Truth to say, replacements came rather quickly, but as a first impression, it was not a good one. The checkout time from the room is set at 10 a.m., which is too early, considering that breakfast ends at 10, and you have quite a walk from the room to the restaurant and back. So we managed to extend checkout until noon, but our room was locked when we came back from breakfast (this was solved quickly by a passing chambermaid who kindly opened it for us), but there was no electricity in the bathroom anymore, because our card was disabled. Of course, reception offered no apology for this, although they granted us extended checkout the day before.
Buffet breakfast is very good, the swimming pools are nicely organized, there's also the beach nearby, although it's not natural pebbles, so it's a bit of a turnoff.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are quite far from your parking area, so this could be a problem if you have lots...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Linda B
Maistra-Croatia, Public Relations Manager at Resort Amarin, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear Linda B,

Firstly let us thank you for taking the time and effort to share your recent experience about Amarin Resort. Before I go any further I would like to apologize for certain shortcomings that, as a guest, you have experienced straight upon entering the bungalow assigned to you. Working in hospitality business we are all aware that the first few minutes of your stay will have a strong impact on your overall impression of the property, and I truly regret that we missed the opportunity to impress you. Our Housekeeping team is informed about this unfortunate coincidence, and you can rest assured that checking the soap level in the soap dispenser and the cleanliness of the towels is usually a standard and basic procedure. We apologize for the inconvenience caused and can promise that such flaws will not be repeated.
As to your comment regarding the late check-out, we try to grant this request to our guests without an extra charge whenever the occupancy allows us to do so. We are sorry that you were unaware of our check-out time.
We hope that your next stay with us will be more enjoyable and we look forward to welcoming you back soon again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

First of all, I never knew how beautiful Croatia was. The beaches are absolutely gorgeous and the water is so clean!

We camped for five nights and stayed in a 3 star apartment for two nights.
The campsite was the best I've stayed at in Europe. The bathroom facilities were always clean and well maintained.
The ground is very hard to put tent pegs into, but that's an understandable problem. It rained every 3rd day so it got easier. If camping in September like us, you may want to take note that the rain is torrential, like nothing I've seen before. Our tent is vango 5000mm resistance and it still leaked a small amount.

When we got an apartment, it was far better then we expected. I can only imagine was the 4 star apartments were like! They looked beautiful.

The restaurant food was excellent and the staff there were lovely. The buffet breakfast gets a bit tired after a few days, but there is a lot of choice.

The reception staff seemed to be very busy and disorganised. Some of the receptionists remembered how to smile but a lot of them were just so unhelpful and gave us wrong information. For example, the wrong shuttle ferry times to Rovinj centre which resulted us in having to get a taxi back.
There was a pretty blonde lady with curly hair who seemed to know about hospitaly. I don't care what star an accommodation provider is, everyone can smile or at least look pleasant.

However I would still recommend this resort and would also return myself.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank sexylinguini
Shoresh, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We stayed there in Aug. 2013 and had wonderful time despite the following: facility is almost NEW but poorly maintained (as if nobody cares...), dead phone line in the room; A/C related problems; room-lights problematic; closet & cabinets' doors dis-function etc. I'd expect for minimal kitchen accessories (missing dish-washing soap & sponge, missing filters for coffee-maker, missing paper towel etc.); limited and overpriced WiFi arrangement.
Reception staff are annoying: hardly helpful neither friendly nor nice! Surprisingly their English is below average; poor understanding of visitors' needs OUT of the resort e.g., the ferry to Venice; no clue about wineries within 15 min. drive from the resort... let alone the great nat'l parks ~2 hours drive away frm the resort.
Bottom line: great value for yr money, don't count on resort's reception staff for valuable assistance. I doubt if we ever go there again, keep yr expectations adjusted.

Room Tip: Ask for "SUPERIOR DOUBLE ROOM WITH EXTRA BED" by the sea (first row facing the sea...).
2 Thank Harel2013
Giv'atayim, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

The Amarin resort has a huge private beach, two swimming pools and many outdoor opportunities (speedboats, trampolines, mini-golf, mopeds, bikes, etc.). The houses/villas are new/renovated, spacious and well designed. The entire resort is tidy and well kept. The resort is 7 minutes drive from the lovely town of Rovinj. The beach is great, but was very crowded during August. Basically everything is extra - Internet, snacks, outdoor activities, etc. - but the prices are really low - compared with the Euro Zone. All in all - we enjoyed every minute and would love to go back.

Room Tip: Try asking for a room with sea view. This is not a must, though. Also - you may wish to avoid rooms...
2 Thank Zoltybey
LizonMorton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I booked through Booking.com and thought that I was reserving a luxury apartment in a small property a few kilometers from Rovinj. I arrived to find a well-sized, clean and modern apartment but in a huge tourist "village" that was jam-packed with families and campers.

The pros - The 6-person, 2 bedroom apartment has two real bedrooms with comfortable beds, good air-conditioning, curtains that keep it dark at night, a real kitchen with stove and oven (we expected only mini-fridge and microwave) and a comfortable garden patio. The pools are nice, and the beach rocky but long. The water taxi to Rovinj comes every 30-60 minutes from 9:30 AM until after midnight and takes only a few minutes to get to Rovinj, certainly better than driving and parking if you are not staying in the old town. They were generous with the towels, and the room was very clean. The supermarket is convenient for self-catering. The staff is friendly and helpul, and check-in and check-out were much faster that I expect at a large complex like this. They had comfy hammocks scattered around the property.

The cons - This is a huge tourist complex that charges for everything. They charge for wireless Internet (yes, it said that on my reservation but I was still surprised it wasn't free). They charged for a baby bed in the room. They said you couldn't take the room towels to the pool or beach, but didn't provide towels at the pool or beach, forcing us to buy overpriced beach towels from the shop. They didn't provide even a sponge or paper towels in the kitchenette, so we had to buy dish soap, sponges and cleaning products.

The bottom line: the size of the apartments, water taxi, and pools/beach make it a good place for families with kids. I won't stay there again, though, and if I wasn't traveling with children, wouldn't stay there at all.

1 Thank LizonMorton
Dovje, Bohinj, Slovenia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I stayed in Amarin Resort, Rovinj five times and for me it is better and nicer every time.
The app / rooms are clean with a nice kitchen and air condition. They all have a nice terrace and they are very near to the beach and to the restaurant, 20 - 50 m. I saw a lot of families with children and you can even bring your dog!!!
And the view on Rovinj is great. I would recommend it for everybody :-)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank karin_slo
Carrollton, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Rovinj, Croatia is a charming seaside town on the northern peninsula sitting very near the borders of Italy, Slovenia, and Austria. The scenery and ambience are spectacular, definitely worth a visit. The Amarin Resort is not in the historic city center but it is minutes away by car or ferry with picture perfect views of that very photogenic town. The property offers hotel rooms and apartments at this enormous and lovely resort. Amenities include a small market, 2 pools with a huge surrounding patio with chairs, restaurant, a couple of bars, picnic and children's play areas, bikes, poolside massage, and a large beachfront area. There were massive bouncing and climbing structures in the ocean for added water fun. We stayed in a 2 bedroom unit that could sleep 5 total if you use the double bed in the living area, a full kitchen, 2 patios and one small bathroom. There was a table and 4 chairs with an umbrella on one patio. The kitchen was small but sufficiently stocked to make light meals including a coffee maker but lacked basic things like dish detergent, paper towels, salt, or coffee filters. The bathroom was really small and lacked toiletry items like you would normally find in a hotel. We had some difficulty getting the air conditioning on in the evening hours despite several attempts. I think they are programmed to turn off during the night, a practice that I've found common in most of Europe. The free wifi signal was too weak to use in our room so we bought minutes on a card and used the two computers in the reception area. Access to the resort is controlled by a guard and a gate. There is assigned covered parking but it was a lengthy distance to our unit even though we were allowed to come closer for loading/unloading. There were lots of families with small children on the property so apparently it is a good place for that but I was there for a completely different kind of vacation; I was part of a very large group attending the Croatia Salsa Festival. The Amarin was able to handle a huge number of adults dancing away long hours around the pool for several days. I think they did a fantastic job of accommodating such varied demands. Check-out time is at 10am. My request for a later check-out was given but for a considerable fee. Overall, I would stay here again but now I'm prepared for what to expect, hopefully, now you are too!

Room Tip: I don't think many, if any, of the rooms have much of a view. There are many trees which block...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sheryl G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rovinj
Hotel Monte Mulini
Hotel Lone
#3 of 23 in Rovinj
4.5 of 5 stars 987 reviews
Amarin Studio and Apartments

Been to Resort Amarin? Share your experiences!