“Would recommend to the best friend of mine”
Review of Resort Amarin

Resort Amarin
Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Rovinj
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Would recommend to the best friend of mine”
Reviewed September 10, 2011

Just came back from a family vacation in Croatia. Together with my mom we stayed at the Amarin Camping, considering coming again. Both Amarin animation crew, hotel stuff and facilities offered together with amazing Croatian nature, crystal clear sea and hospitality made our vacation unforgettable.
Amarin offers several types of accomodation: if you are travelling with a house-on-wheels, you can get a spot for your trailer among the rest, this area is separated from the apartments. Double-storeyd apartments are offered with 2* and 4*. Importantly to know that both 2* and 4* guests are dining together at the restaurant, the quality of food is very high and cousine is variable with fresh fruits and delicious deserts, ice-cream inclusive. NB: you have to pay for the drinks at the dinner, that is ok priced but you can save by saying "no".
Free animation is different for kids (called "Mini Club"), teenagers and grown-ups. Personally I loved aerobics in the open air at 9.30 every morning, stretching at 11.00, waterpolo in the open sea at 12.00, zumba at 16.oo and volley at 17.00. If you are travelling with kids, they will love Mini Club! Teenagers are offered water polo, volleyball, shooting and other stuff.
There was live music, cabaret, dancing every night from 8.30 till midnight.
Have seen many hotels during the excursions, that is one among few who has its own territory with a vast beach and access to the sea. You do not need to rent out a plastic bed or chair, there is plenty of shadow under the pine trees.
Stuff is very nice. I left my BlackBerry in the bed, a cleaning lady didnt notice it whe changing sheets. When I came up to a guy at reception, he gave a call asking to double check all the linens they've collected. My BB got returned the next day!
NB: stuff speaks English, German, Italian, Croatian and a Russian.
Guests are mostly from Germany, Italy, Croatia, Russia.
You can take a taxi boat for 3 EUR and it will bring you to the neighbour town Rovinj with lots of restaurants, shops, nice architecture etc. There is an option to take a bus for 1,5 to Rovinj and from there to any other city. Zagreb is highly recommendable! Plitvickie ozera national park is a must.
Both my Mom and me are very happy we chose Amarin. Enjoy!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Rapuncel_dk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Oslo
Reviewed August 3, 2011

We got unrenovated room with a standard lower than most cheap hotels. We where overcharged at check-out and when we complain to booking.com they produced a fraud invoice and told we where lying. Of the minor issues, it's no playgrounds for children and people working there are driving, in kamikazestyle, mopeds on small road where children are walking to the beach.

This should be a clear warning to stay away!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank creosl

Travelers are raving about these Rovinj hotels

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed July 26, 2011

We travelled to Amarin (couple with a 3yr old) and our friends (couple with 4 children) looking forward to a great family holiday. We booked into a new apartment and our friends booked an unrenovated apartment. To start with, I think the word "resort" and the resort video on their website are a bit misleading.
The location - is excellent, very close to the old city of Rovinj and has stunning views of the Mediteranean and Rovinj itself.
The resort itself - it appears the resort started out as a camping and caravan site and has grown from there. So alot of the facilities are old. This includes the volley ball courts, swimming and parking area. The central restaurant looks modern on the website but it has been renovated and shade sails added to look new. The beach has no sand, just rocks and pebbles. If you want to go swimming it is advisable to purchase swimming shoes. Although we were there in the middle of summer it was always possible to find a nice place to sit down somewhere on the beach.
The facilities - The swimming pool - has a large water slide attached and opens at 11am each day and closes at 8pm. There are a few problems here. Firstly unless you allow your children to swim in the sea kids must wait until 11am to swim (as the pool is drained at night and refilled with sea water daily). Secondly because there is only one pool, all ages swim in it. So for our little children it was impossible for them to have a safe area to swim and also no shallow area as it was about 4 feet deep everywhere with no toddler pool. Our biggest concern was that I never saw a staff supervisor at the pool during the whole week we were there. This means for all families, they need to continually supervise their kids rather than relax a bit.
Kids activites - the resort organises a kids club each morning and evening. To be honest we took our child to the morning activities and just saw kids colouring in while the staff didn't seem to do much. The evening activities included dancing and movies which were good but for our 3 year old, too late in the evening. The other free activities for kids is the swing and cubby house but there is only one.
Paid activities - the is a large selection of water sports you can do including banana boat, jet ski's and paddle boats. Mini golf and trampolines are avaiable but unfortnately very expensive. For example, for kids to use the trampoline, the price worked out at 24 euros per hour so needless to say it was empty 99% of the time.
The accomodation - we were very happy with the new apartment we booked. It had a stunning view over the sea to Rovinj and the balcony was a nice place to have a quiet drink. The room had air con which was definetely needed as the nights were quite hot. If i can find fault it was that there was no water kettle provided, no dishcloth, no tea towel, no dishwashing liquid, even though a coffee machine was there you need to bring paper filters for it. The refrigerator is actually sealed in the cupboard with no ventilation, so I actually had to remove the cupboard door so the fridge could work properly and cool itself, otherwise it struggled to get anything cold. (note to resort management, please fix this as the fridge is useless without ventilation ). We had cable TV and a telephone and wireless internet worked out to be 3 euros per hour (you have to buy a voucher from the main office). Our friends stayed in the unrenovated apartments and actually they were nice, clean and spacious with two balconies. However, because of no air con they slept terribly as it was very hot. I think the main problem is that the roof is black and has no insulation so it easily heats up the rooms. They also had no TV and no phone, so each time they wanted to contact reception, they had to walk about 15 minutes to the office.
The food - we booked with daily buffet breakfast. So each morning we made our way to the central restaurant. We soon realised that the kitchen makes the same food everyday. There is no variation. So sausages, scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, bacon, bread, spreads, cheese, cold meats, breakfast cereal, yoghurt, cakes and some fruit. The coffee was very nice but the juices are pre-mix and more like cordial. It appears that the resort uses a catering contractor who therefore provides the most cost effective solution. So the food experience is more focussed on low cost than a good customer experience.
This leads me on to the central restaurant. Again it would appear it is run by the same catering contractor. Let me also start by saying if you come to Croatia thinking the food will be cheap ITS NOT. For example, pizza's start at around 8 euros, only chips are cheaper. If you think you will eat outside the resort, the prices are EXACTLY THE SAME. It appears all the restaurants in the vicinity copy the resort pricing. And everyone offers pretty much the same, grill, fish and pizza. Ok, back to the resort restaurant. The food quality is poor. Rather go into Rovinj, pay the same prices but get significantly better quality food. One night my wife ordered the calamari/squid and I ordered the "deluxe" hamburger. The squid was overcooked to a crunchy state and my "deluxe" hamburger that worked out to be 10 euros consisted of a large bread roll, meat patty, one leaf of lettuce and a big squirt of tomato sauce, this came with a side of boiled potatoes and and handful of crisp chips (from a packet). The service was VERY average. One night our friends ordered a dish with the waiter but changed it at the same time. The waiter (who spoke good english and german) then proceeded to bring out both dishes. When our friend said he didnt want both, just the new one the waiter told him that it was his fault. Then the next night the same waiter made our friend look stupid when he ordered by repeatedly asking him "are you sure" when he placed his order. Unfortunately for food you are trapped with this catering company's offering unless you drive to another eatery outside the resort.
Safety - the resort is getting old. It's not like a western european resort where things are fenced off and things fixed. Tiles in the main swimming area are starting to crumble in some areas, someone removed the pool drain cover in the centre of the pool and I nearly twisted my ankle in the pool. As mentioned before, there is no supervision at the pool, so even though there is a sign saying no jumping or diving, kids and teenagers did what ever they pleased.
We did notice on the beach one supervisor in a tower but on the 15th of July there was very rough seas and that morning a crowd gathered on the beach. We were told an elderly man had drowned and they were still trying to find his body.
Overall the resort is ok, it just comes down to your expectation. I am sure if you are using the resort for camping it's just fine and what you'd expect for that style, but if your coming there for the nice apartments, that's the only new thing there. We noted most of the guests appeared to be from Eastern Europe so maybe its a good experience when compared for them.
Service - there is not alot. We were greated by the lady at the entrance and the lady at the restaurant entrance but most other staff just put their head down and got to work. When we went to checkout and pay and was presented with a bill for the full amount. When we told her we had paid a deposit and showed her proof she quickly apologised and gave us the reduced amount to pay. So we thought this was just an oversight until 30 minutes later they did the same to our friends. I did get the feeling though that the locals are there to extract as much money from the tourists as possible. For example, the fruit market in Rovinj is twice the price of Pula . Also I was short changed twice.
Overall - we would not go back to this resort. But as consolation, we nearly booked at another resort called "Splendid" operated by the same owner as Amarin which we went and visited and in comparisson it made Amarin look great. Splendid was too far away from Rovinj, built on the side of a steep hill, overcrowed pool, no beach. People were just jumping off the rocks into the open sea. It appears to have been a former communist resort in my opinion.
But Amarin markets itself as a family resort but I think maybe its better suited if you have older children or teenagers.
Tips - go to the local supermarket and buy food there. It's not cheap but cheaper than eating out. We brought a little BBQ so at nights this was very handy and allowed us to keep our costs down.
If you want to escape the tourists and go to a very local village, go to Bale about 20 minutes from the resort. A very beautiful old city. Pula is nice to visit and the food is cheaper.
The roads into the resort may not be listed on your GPS, on my new Garmin it was not so i had to add the co-ordinates in manually. Google maps also did not have the resort street name listed so test your GPS before you leave!

Room Tip: If you stay in summer, make sure you get an air conditioned apartment.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank Marcus123
padova
Reviewed September 3, 2010

Rooms are old, dirty and too expensive for services offered.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank vgiannetta
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2010

My relatives are staying at the hotel Amarin now.
There is a problem with mobile phone they have at the moment. Trying to help them I called from my town and spoke to a responsible clerk on receprion today.
I was told that there was no phone in 2-star room. It’s ok, clear. But the girl refused to leave a message for them! Without no reason. Super service!
Yes, I have heard bad reviews about service in Croatia, but now I am sure that my friends, my relatives and I will choose another country for our holidays.
Not Amarin, thank you for help.

• Stayed September 2010
4 Thank SvesolMoscow
Belgrade
Reviewed February 2, 2010

Don't be fooled with all the good reviews and beautiful photos of this place. I would not recommend it to anyone.
This place consists of renovated appartments where we were staying (marked with 4 stars), nonrenovated appartments (marked with 2 stars), and the camp.
I really cannot complain about the appartment since they were clean and everything was new. But you have to be careful that Amarin complex is on the hill and when we arrived I realised how incredibly lucky we were since we got the appartment closest to the beach. We could have ended up in the hills and it would be a long walk to the restaurant and the beach. Everything else in this complex was a great disappointment.
In order to get to the restaurant since we had half board, we had to walk past 2 stars appartments which looked claustrophobic and spooky. And the camp site was terrible. There was our restaurant overcrowded every single day. It was hard to find an empty table, and the choice of food was every day the same. Meat or fish with chips and some pasta. It wasn't tasty at all and I am not picky when it comes to food.
The greatest disappointment was the beach which looked perfect on the photos. But when I tried to get in the water I hurt my leg and I got a few more bruises even with the some kind of swimming shoes I wore. There were huge stones under the surface and it was really dangerous to get inside the water especially if there were some waves. It was impossible for my six year old son to get inside the sea so he swam in the pool. But that's another problem the pool is not that big and it's shallow since it was built for children. However since people cannot get inside the water they were all in the pool old and young. It was overcrowded with screaming teenagers trying to jump on the head. A horror.
In order to save our holiday from the complete disaster we decided to go sightseeing. We saw Pula, Brioni, Porec, Rovinj, Umag. Rovinj is a beautiful old town which I recommend everyone to visit. But do not stay in Amarin.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
6 Thank MilutinBelgrade
amsterdam
Reviewed September 18, 2009

Apartment was clean and spacious. The beach is rocky, o you need to wear swimshoes en a yoga-mat to lay on. Sea is clean and warm. Taxi boat to Rovinj is great. Receptionists are grumpy and aren't very helpfull. Renting bikes, canoe's , boats is possible, but overpriced. Overall a nice place to rest. The surroundings are beautifull and romantic.

• Stayed September 2009