“Still excellent food, and excellent value”
Review of Tipico Old Town

Tipico Old Town
Ranked #10 of 188 Restaurants in Rovinj
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Croatian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Traditional Istrian cuisine with modern twist . We are closed for the season. We open 1st of April 2016.
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I returned to Tipico this summer, with the usual trepidation that it would not live up to my very vivid memory of an excellent meal there last July. I need not have worried. The costs had gone up slightly, but the food was easily of as high a quality - and indeed, there had been some refinements [such as little slithers of truffle on my pasta dish]. One of my daughters had a beautiful dish of chicken, risotto and saffron sauce, and my partner had a perfect - if modestly-portioned - piece of sea bass. The semifreddo ice cream, complete with little gnarls of caramel, was heavenly, and my partner and I got a complimentary glass of grappa from a very capable and amiable waiter. It remains one of my favourite restaurants, anywhere.

1  Thank Ben B
There are newer reviews for Tipico Old Town

Reviewed July 31, 2013

The food was excellent and a bit different from the restaurants on the sea front.
However when we came to pay for our meal the credit card machine was not working, this was known by the staff but not told to us.
I had to leave my drivers licence as security while i found a cash machine.
This spoilt a lovely night

Reviewed July 27, 2013

There are several things you should know about this restaurant before you visit:

1. After reading other reviews you might be under the impression that you will be served a world-class food. You won't. You can however expect real, freshly made food.
2. The appetizers' portions are huge. Don't expect to eat both appetizer and main course.
3. The service is a bit slow.
4. The menu is a mix of cuisine based on local ingredients, featuring vegetarian options (tofu and Istrian noodles), meat (chicken, pork and beef) and seafood (risotto, sea bass, and daily fish).
5. You will be pleasantly surprised with the bill.

To expand a little bit:

Finding a restaurant like this in a city full of tourist trap venues, which put pictures of food in the menu was a pleasant surprise. Especially given that most restaurants seem to serve steaks with french fries. The restaurant is situated in the main artistic street of Grisia and therefore pretty easy to find. We arrived late in the evening and were promptly seated. We were two, and each of us ordered two appetizers: fish soup & prawn risotto and Istrian noodles & seafood risotto. We wanted to order a main course, but the waiter suddenly closed his notebook and left before we had a chance to say a word. We considered that rude, but in the end did not regret, because the appetizer portions are huge and we were both full after the first course.

Now, regarding the quality of food. The fish soup was more like a vegetable stock with a hint of fish. We did not understand why there was an undercooked rice at the bottom of the bowl and the grated parmesan sunk to the bottom and clumped together. The Istrian noodles with wild mushrooms, truffles and smoked cheese were nice. Then came the very long wait for the risotto, which lasted well over half an hour. Now, I don't know what you expect when you order a risotto, but for me it's a comforting bowl of creamy rice, with almost-like-a-soup consistency; the rice is very tender, yet not overcooked and mushy, with a slight al dente bite. What came at the table was the exact opposite. The prawns and the seafood mix were cooked very well, but the risotto was lacking on the risotto part. It was very dry and the rice was very undercooked and tough. On the positive side, the seafood in it was fresh and tasted very good.

Trying to pay was a story on itself. After we finally asked to pay, the waiter delivered the bill and left the restaurant. After good 15 minutes, during which we could see him smoke outside and talk to people, a women (the manager?) finally snapped and called him inside. He brought us a terminal, punched in 0.35 Euros instead of 35 Euros and left again for a very long while. Finally, he corrected the mistake and we left, but I have a feeling that if we had payed the 35 cents nobody would have noticed.

Despite the shortcomings, I would return for another dinner. There are not many restaurants like this in Rovinj and you get a decent food for a decent price. If you come with the right expectations, you will be pleasantly surprised. Maybe I did sound a bit harsh at some places, but I feel that the reviews need to tone down a bit.

Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

We visited rovinj In June this year for the 5th time but this was our first visit to Tipico we where very impressed with the food and the service .the surrounding are lovely and you would expect with the charming location it to be more expensive than others, but not so ...highly recommend Tipico and will definitely be visiting again .

Reviewed July 11, 2013

I really like this restoran, first of all they have a little bit different offer from the whole Rovinj. They have also vegetarian meals, very creative, nice dessert, yummy soups and good wine :)

1  Thank Doris F