“Great place”

Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Rovinj
Split, Croatia
“Great place”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stopped just for one night on our way to Italy. It is a beautifully designed hotel, stylish and modern. Every single detail in hotel is designed by some of best croatian studios/designers/architectures ect. We loved it. Room was big enough with nice balcony, with nice view. We had dinner in restaurant, food was delicious, maybe just a bit expensive, but its that kind of restaurant. Breakfast in the morning was best hotel buffet breakfast i ever had, with lost of fresh stuf and variety of everything. We already decided to come back in a month and to spend couple of days in Lone, we want more. :)

1 Thank Yellenita
sanja_svarc, General Manager at Hotel Lone, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear Yellenita,
we are delighted to read your positive review, especially to see that you have a wonderful time in our hotel.
From the photos that you took, I see that you have enjoyed all aspects of our services.
Looking forward to see you again with us.

Best regards!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Palos Verdes Estates, California
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I am still at the hotel, my 2nd day here. We checked in yesterday, and they kindly gave us an upgrade because my husband being sick, won't be able to go out of the room so asked for a room with good view. The hotel interior is very open, modern, and lots of "green" feel to it. The breakfast that came with the room was very nice, lots of selection! The wellness center is very clean, swimming pools with some bubble features here and there, and also they have separate adult only (16 and up) section where you find several different saunas and hydro bath. The hotel also is located right near the water, I took a great nice walk along the sea, it has a very beautiful nature trail. We drove from Venice, took me about 2 hours and 45 minutes but road coming here was very cleaned and updated, even tunnels looked better than what I see in Japan!! Overall, I am very satisfied with my hotel pick! There is a hotel next to this, ranked #1 but location is almost the same, and not sure if it is really worth paying almost double of what I paid here.....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
sanja_svarc, General Manager at Hotel Lone, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear musashinohaha,
Thank you for sharing your experience.
We are always trying to do our best to make the stay of our guest pleasant and memorable, and we are really grateful when our guest notice all the effort made.

Kind regards
Orebic, Croatia
Reviewed March 29, 2013

It is beautiful bilding, modern and stylish. Rooms are spacious with big balcony. I spent only one night in hotel, but i can say staff is very polite and helpful. I missed breakfast because i enjoyed sleeping little too long.

Anyway, hotel is nice, new and modern. It should be perfect in late spring and early summer.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jelena R
sanja_svarc, General Manager at Hotel Lone, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear JelenaR,
thanks a lot! Hope to see you again with us.
Best regards
Zagreb, Croatia
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed in Hotel Lone for two days in March 2013. Hotel building is really beautiful- modern, minimalistic and stylish. A real black and white gem. Rooms are spacious and nicely decorated. Bed is incredibly cosy. Carpet in the room is the softest thing I have ever walked on. Shower is powerful and spacious. Towels are always warm due to beeing placed on a warm tile surface. Overall I loved everything in the room. A nice perk is also free of charge mini bar. Restaurant L offers great food cooked by chef Priska Thuring (please beware that prices are quite high). I have also eaten club sandwich in lobby bar- the best club sandwich ever! I can also recommend massages which hotel wellness offers as well as cosy relax area and hydromassage rooms in wellness. The only thing I can complain about is WiFi signal (wiFi is free in the entire hotel). In the lobby and wellness it functions perfectly but in the rooms signal is almost non-existant. The same thing applies to 3G signal in the room. I can recommned this hotel as perfect venue for a relaxing weekend.

1 Thank svjetlana08
Dear Svjetlana08,
I am exceedingly glad that you have enjoyed your time in our hotel
Thank you very much for nice words. Informative, "problems" with the glass between the bathroom and the bedroom are solved (they are tinted).

Kind regards
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 21, 2013

You have found your hotel for your trip to Rovinj! Look no further. I was there during off-season so I got a very good rate, which also included breakfast. The hotel staff was very friendly and answered all of my questions and also helped to arrange transfer to the airport.

The check in process was smooth and easy. I was quickly up in my room that had a great view from the balcony. The room itself had a comfy bed; plush robes; fridge; safe; wifi and good size tv. The bathroom was a good size with a great shower that had perfect water pressure. The hair dryer in the bathroom also worked really well. There is a window from the bathroom to the room itself, which could be a problem if privacy is an issue. I am still not sure why hotels insist on designing their rooms this way.

The location of the hotel was great - right on the water! I arrived to Rovinj via bus from Zagreb. I took a short taxi ride from the bus station. You can easily walk into town along the waterfront - this is the way I walked everyday. Great views!

I used the pool and the saunas which were great. You can simply wear your robe down to the pool area. One of the elevators goes directly to this floor and opens up right in front of the pool/spa area.

Really fantastic hotel which I would recommend!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank hawaiiboundToronto
sanja_svarc, General Manager at Hotel Lone, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear hawaiiboundToronto,
it's nice to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and Rovinj.Thanks a lot for the posted review.
I hope that you'll visit us again soon.
Kind regards!
Arlon
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Beautiful design hotel with shapes all in soft curves, earthy tones, lots of light, plants. The decor everywhere is modern yet friendly. The rooms are comfortable and the restaurant offers an interesting delicious menu. It has an excellent spa, pool and its proximity to the beach makes for a very complete experience. The staff was outstandingly friendly, efficient and accommodating.
As a conference participants I can also say that their facilities are excellent and offer very good technological material and support. I highly recommend this hotel for both personal and business stays.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
sanja_svarc, General Manager at Hotel Lone, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Viviane H,
Thank you for the positive review of our hotel. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your time as a conference participant. Hope to see you soon again with us.

Regards
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 6, 2013

The title says it all really, it really is unfortunately for me the new benchmark in European 5 star resort hotels.

I initially planned on only a 2 week stay last minute as I was disgusted by my previous hotel which I won't mention here, but within 48hrs of me being there I knew this was exactly what I was after, friendly, relaxing, quiet (relatively, for such a busy hotel), excellent location and exceptional value.

From the moment I pulled up outside I was warmly greeted by one of the doormen who offered to deal with my luggage and park the vehicle. Once inside I was again greeted very warmly by the front desk staff who from that moment onwards very impressively knew my name, including the front desk manager.

Even walking to the lift to go to the room i was greeted by the staff of the bar to the right of the foyer.

In fact while on the subject of the staff, never have I stayed at a destination were the standard of staffing has been so high. The friendliness, courteousness, that wiliness, happiness and apparent ease of going above and beyond to ensure that even a guest with needs such as myself are met in their entirety.

Examples of this range from the relatively straight forward; calling and checking whether specific restaurants were open off season and making reservations , organising for my car to be washed and even booking a hairdressers appointment for me. To the even more impressive mainly by the spa staff; extensively researching into, coaching and indeed writing up specific exercises for a neck injury I had (thank you Vodran) and probably most appreciated organising a last minute (read that within the hour) chiropractic appointment when I put my back out one day (thank you Paula).

Now, I appreciate design and usually I turn my nose up at modern and often 'tacky' minimalism that ages terribly but this hotel pulls it off so well that and is kept to such a high standard of cleanliness that it really is as has been said before in reviews ...a masterpiece!

Rooms
The rooms are as close to perfection, large, spacious, perfectly laid out and the design of the hotel means that the majority of the rooms have a partial sea view although not many a ‘full frontal’ sea view. The beds are huge! I’m 195cm and I struggled to reach the bottom and if anything they are too wide, they’re that big. Have to say being my size it is so very much appreciated! Both the mattresses and the pillows are perfect and the overall quality of sleep afforded is superb!

Breakfast are pretty much as expected, it is evident that on quieter days the breakfast buffet is somewhat cut down although anything that isn’t out that you’d like is of course brought out to you. The variety on offer is somewhat overwhelming from cold meats and cheeses, cerals and compotes, various fresh fruit sliced or otherwise and every warm breakfast you could think of, pancakes, waffles, French toast, every conceivable egg derivative including freshly prepared omelettes to your specification. The only negative here would be the quality of the bacon and sausages offered, although to both English and of course Americans’ this will be evident across Croatia and indeed Europe, Germany being the only exception.

Now during my stay it being off season the buffet restaurant was only open on a handful of occasions, the rest of the time the a ’la carte restaurant along with room service and bar snakes was the only lunch and evening meals offered. The a ‘la carte restaurant is however something to experience. Everything that was brought to the table and more so to others tables looked incredible, I mean Michelin Star standard, exceptionally thought out, beautifully presented, perfectly cooked and tasted incredible. Now I have eaten in some of the best restaurants Europe and America has to offer and this place has to be easily in the top 5% only surpassed really by the meat quality you are sometimes afforded in some of the top American restaurants.

Bar
The bar was in all a joy to be in, although as others have mentioned slightly obscurely placed in the main foyer that can indeed get rather loud when the hotel is busy. The bar staff as I’ve already mentioned were exceptional, friendly, always greeting you with a natural warm smile and within days knowing your name and room number adding to that intimacy afforded usually by much smaller hotels. Tables instantly cleared, ash trays instantly cleaned, an instant offer of anything else should your drink be nearing empty. Perfect…..

Spa
Now we get to the pièce de résistance of the Hotel Lone experience. We all know a number of hotels will deem themselves ‘Spa Hotels’ or ‘Wellness hotels’ and that is all well and good, they will have the basic building blocks of a spa; a pool, a sauna or 3 and even a Jacuzzi on occasion but often stagnant, impersonal, cold and anything but relaxing. Not the Hotel Lone, the Spa area of Hotel Lone is something I urge everyone to experience and not just for the odd hour, I and plenty of other people could spend full days in the comfort and relaxation on offer.

Situated on the ground floor of the hotel and note if you take the elevator on the left which is on separate call buttons (towards the sea) it faces the spa at the bottom rather than out towards the A La Carte restaurant affording greater privacy when you’re donning all but a robe or returning sweaty from the gym, this is the level of thought that has gone into the place.

On initial entry you are first greeted by one, often two beautiful smiles and a ‘Welcome to the Hotel Lone Spa Mr/Mrs such and such’, what is on offer is promptly described to you in a number of different languages I hasten to add, and a personal tour offered of which I was more than happy to take them up on. Now the spa as mentioned previously has all the basic building blocks that you would expect, a lovely indoor pool with numerous hydro massage jets of various descriptions a pretty much perfect gym with excellent quality equipment and the choice on offer for the size is somewhat incredible, a great deal of thought has gone into it even the music that’s played!

But it’s when you enter the 16+ spa area itself you really see the thought that’s gone into this place, the stunning relax area consisting of various different beautiful modern seating areas, surrounded by a number of differing drapes that again elude to the intimacy afforded throughout this hotel, areas where you can lie in total relaxation with your partner as many did and while away the hours. This area also offers slightly dubious looking 35 degree waterbeds which baffled me as to their use to begin with but once you climb aboard it really is a perfect place to just lie and chill and drift off as I did on a number of occasions. From this area through a rather interesting revolving hole in the wall which amusingly baffled many you enter the main spa chamber is the best I can describe it, a darkened room offering the 3 beautifully lit saunas to the right along with a number of showers and changing areas. To the left something rather unexpected, their description a ‘submerged room’ and it is indeed that, a beautifully tiled and lit relatively large yet intimate area roughly .75m deep with something like 38 degree water and numerous water jets and waterfalls that come on at varying times. Just be careful with the steps, especially when it’s busy they can get awfully slippy with myself on one occasion rather ungracefully entering the submerged room in return being given a lovely bruise on my backside, arm and a cut to my right hand.

But that aside, all in all easily the most stunning spa experience I have ever had and topped off by without a doubt the nicest staff any guest and indeed hotel could hope for. With that I would like to personally thank this team for making my stay what is was ….. perfect!

Gripes
To ensure this review isn’t seen as an advert for the place and this really is a rounded assessment of the resort, as with all hotels there are a number of gripes/issues that really should be taken care of, but in this case they certainly didn’t take away from my overall impression/experience of the place;

Surprisingly for a hotel of this quality, the shower doors in both my rooms weren’t the best fit and struggled to close or stay closed.

The sliding door to the balcony in one of my rooms couldn’t have been opened by someone much smaller than me as I really did struggle on occasion.

The cleanliness of the spa area could be improved slightly, especially considering it was off season, the exterior glass around the pool had marks from children playing up against it for over 2 weeks, the exterior glass in the gym had horrible sweat marks on the inside in one area for over 3 weeks (although in fairness within a few hours of me mentioning it Vodran the gym supervisor had a cleaner in cleaning it), two of the showers in the sauna area had black mould on the chest level shower heads and most annoyingly the indoor pool had sand build up around the edges throughout my stay which was horrible underfoot.

The room service although normally the quality of food was excellent and surpassed most other hotels I’ve stayed in (including those on sunset boulevard) it lacked consistency. Some days it would be exceptional, some days it would arrive lukewarm or questionably edible (not necessarily when busy either) and I wholeheartedly do not recommend the Istrian Chilli Hotdog it was downright disgusting! You would also only sometimes get bread with your food, frustratingly often not with soup but you would with a burger (how does that work), you would also sometimes not get ketchup with chips but it would be on the trolley for pasta (again some thought required). It was also the room service where although you wouldn’t think anything of it in a normal hotel, in Hotel Lone the standard of staffing being so high the room service staff slightly let the side down, one particularly who was strangely condescending and you would almost say downright ‘cocky’.

It being off season, I suppose it was inevitable but the building works on the new outdoor pool area could have been thought through a little better, the hours they were working 7am-10pm 7 days a week beside a functioning hotel really? But my main gripe about this was the cleanliness of the main route to the beach, I along with most guests would walk this at least twice a day and especially if you walked towards the park you could not help getting your shoes and indeed trousers caked in mud and with the hotel having cream carpet throughout it doesn’t mix! On numerous occasions I had to remove my running shoes at the entrance and sometimes even role up my trousers to walk to my room and then attempt to clean my shoes and trousers……..really in a 5 star hotel, really?

Strictness of rules in the spa, I’ve nothing against children but running and screaming kids in the relax area which states 16+ and also children running around and diving into the main indoor pool in full view of the spa staff. Also the majority of guests not showering prior to entering the hydro pool (after the sauna) resulting in a rather uninviting milkiness of the water after busy periods.

Drainage in the sauna area which is a complete farse, especially during busy periods where water depth can be in the region of 10mm before it actually reaches the drain which strangely isn’t at the lowest part of the floor.

Parking as others have mentioned is ridiculous and not sufficiently strictly controlled, the only solution I could recommend would be a parking attendant out on the drive during busy periods to usher people either into the garage or onto the road outside the hotel.

The Laundry service, although exceptionally efficient, I would avoid unless you have mediterranean skin….. during my stay I very regrettably spent £75 on laundry services and it wasn’t until the last few days I started using the clothes that were laundered there and almost instantly I came out in a horrible rash. I tried to explain this to the staff although unfortunately the gent on the front desk the time I was checking out obviously didn’t understand so couldn’t have it removed from my bill. I have since had to have all the clothes re-laundered at my next destination costing a comparable amount of money, for that I could have bought the garments again!

Finally also being in management myself something I found very strange for a hotel of this calibre; the 1st tier management team were completely invisible, were they part time? I only knew of their existence when in the example of the breakfast area; when in a busy period there was an obvious manager on entry to the breakfast room greeting people. I’m sorry but what use are you there? The girls did a much better job at smiling, greeting and saying good morning…..

The only exception to this was the front of house / reception manager, who must work incredible hours as he seemed to be there more often than not and was always courteous, friendly, helpful and indeed humble. His offer of allowing me to park in front of the hotel when I struggled with parking on the last two nights of my stay was also very much appreciated.

But overall if a pretty normal guest such as myself can pick up all of these gripes in one visit, one would expect the expense of a 1st tier management team would easily pick up everything above and make ones stay 100% perfect.

Room Tip: If you want to relax, ask for a quiet room and they will do their best and certainly did during my s...