“A surly waiter” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ristorante Amfora
Ranked #93 of 172 Restaurants in Rovinj
Cuisines: Seafood, Mediterranean, European, Croatian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Los Angeles, California
“A surly waiter”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

The food at Amfora was great. The three of us were presented with a tray of fresh fish and chose one to be grilled. The fish was done perfectly, and the first courses were good. Service, up to the end, was impeccable. We paid with a credit card. Since the credit card slips in Croatia have no place for a tip, we always tipped in Kuna. After the credit card bill was settled, we made serial trips to the toilet, and hadn't yet put the cash into the folder, which lay on the table. As one of us was still in the toilet, the waiter walked over, pointed to the empty folder and said very sarcastically, "and THAT is for ME??". We left him a tip, but not as much as we would have.

3 Thank John_Schunhoff

• Hungarian first
Devizes, United Kingdom
“Food and service was fine.........”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

Stayed near Rovinj and used this restaurant twice for lunch. As it was towards the end of the season, Rovinj was fairly quiet as were most of the restaurants. On both occasions, the service was fine. I think it was the owner who served us on both occasions and he was quite chheerful and witty although his English was average (still better than my Croatian though).

Food was served quickly and was very tasty. Drinks, dessert and coffees served promptly.

I would happily eat here again.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
leeds
“Service, what service??”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

It was a bit of a gamble to go in, but we took the plunge which was a mistake.
After entering the restaurant the service really did seem to fall off a cliff, the food also varied from dreadful to decent. The beef soup had to be the worst thing I ate on the entire trip by a comfortable margin although the steak was pretty good in all fairness.
What seemed to stand out was the lack of service, once your in the restaurant and seated the level of service drops dramatically. Don't be fooled by the number of people in the restaurant I think that's mainly due to the location.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank waldy1
“Poor quality food. Don't be fooled by tripadvisor sign posted at restaurant entrance. Service poor. Tourist trap check all recei”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

Do not be fooled by trip advisor sign posted at entrance. Poor quality food. Bad service rude manager. Tourist trap will charge for items not ordered and inflate prices of ordered items. When I queried the bill he said I was charged extra because the glasses were bigger but there was no glass sizes on the menu. Overall avoid the place as they will do what ghey can to charge you extra and then try and make a ridiculous excuse go justify it. There are a lot of other restaurants to choose from. But I must admit overcharging tourists seem to be the norm in this town. So check your bills.

4 Thank bos14
Ansbach, Germany
“Best food and service in Rovinj”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

We ate at a different place every day for 4 days and we all agreed that the food and service here was by far the best! They use Bosnian feta cheese in their Greek salad, along with the only fresh tomatoes we had in Rovinj. It was by far the best Greek salad I have ever had. I also had the Ravioli with mushroom sauce and it was amazing. If I had to sum it up in a few words, I'd say clean, fresh, welcoming, and eyes in the back of your head delicious! Also, our waiter Nikola (not to be confused with Nikoli or Nikolaus) was professional, knowledgeable, and fun. The price is moderate but you are paying for excellence. Truly a dinner I will reminisce about for the rest of my life.

• Visited August 2013