“Nice surprise”

Ranked #175 of 192 Restaurants in Rovinj
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 12, 2012

With tourist season over, many of the restaurants were closed in Rovinj and there weren't many people. La Riva was one of the few open, so we sat outside and enjoyed the perfect Fall weather. The server was rude (we overheard another customer telling him off about it!) and the service was slow, but we found it worth the wait. The fried calamari appetizer was fresh tasting and good. We were dying to have cevapcici (small meat sausages) and the ones served here, with french fries and a salad, did not disappoint. My husband had the grilled Orata fish and he thought it was superb (he said it was like "eating the sea"). Touristy, yes, but it was good!

1  Thank gabymak

Reviewed October 28, 2012

I'll admit, I was searching for the highly ranked Pizza de Sergio (think that was the exact name), which turned out to be closed (Sunday afternoon), when I had to resort to choosing an obvious tourist oriented restaurant right on the main street facing the harbor. I told myself I'd steer clear of those places, since they all had big placards with pictures of their food, etc....but quickly found all my better options were closed or a bit out of the way. Thus I settled on La Riva without any prior info.

The service was good if not a bit aloof/indifferent, but quick with the food and the bill.

I played it safe and ordered a pizza, my go to option in this part of the world when I don't have inside information on one of the better offerings. My quattro formaggio was good, but not great. It was in all honestly better than my expectations, but still a little underdone. All I ordered was the pizza and beer so I didn't really leave much to chance.

The atmosphere was very touristy and pretty generic. I can't really fault the place for that since it's their game, but it is what it is. You can't expect to have some enchanting experience in a place like this. I'm rating this place an average compared to all the possible choices, but it's close to a "very good" place if it get's a pass on the touristy vibe (menu with pictures, zillion translations, too many options, etc.).

1  Thank Dan P
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Today I was in this restaurant by accident, when I ordered I looked at the comments TripAdvision and all my hopes for a good handle fell into the water, but when the food came I was nicely surprised, only complaint is the pepper, pepper steak I ate but we pepper is not liked because it was not from the brine, it argues, the waiters friendly, all compliments of the rest,

Reviewed July 16, 2012

We had diner outside on the terrace and we´re pleased by the friendly staff and their behaviour with our young boy. After diner they even gave him a free funny icecream and we had some coffee.

Though a touristic restaurant (okay, whole Rovinj is touristic and this one is located right in the middle of the harbor), the relation quality-price is okay and the food is good (had some good fried calamari, cheese omelette (our kid), greek salad (might improve) and cheese plate (also might improve somehow).

Moreover the friendly staff made our diner a success and we happily look back at a pleasent night (also our sun does).

1  Thank NextDestinium
Reviewed November 25, 2011

Smoking food room, dirty tableclothes, rude service. Food is also terible. In pasta quatro formagi was only sour, instead of four cheeses.

3  Thank oksimoron