“Nice”

Ranked #49 of 188 Restaurants in Rovinj
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Nice tavern decorated with interesting items on the walls. The cozy atmosphere, friendly staff. Excellent fish soup, superb Adriatic squid roasted on the grill. A good selection of wines by the glass and fair prices.

Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Veli Joze is in an eclectically decorated old building in the old town of Rovinj. Staff we're friendly and helpful and the food good. We had a selection plate of fish starters and then oven baked fish with roasted veg both of which were tasty. The place has a nice buzz.

1  Thank ExPunkLondon
Reviewed October 27, 2013

For every negative review of this eatery, there are 6 or 7 good ones. Do the math. I don't know what it is about this eatery, but whenever we passed it from our nearby apartment, there seemed to be tourists, often in groups, grilling Veli Jose staff in a decidedly aggressive, almost confrontational way. None of this attitude from those misguided turisti was warranted. Our expriences here featured very good service (one passing waiter, not our own, went out of his way to warn my tall wife not to bang her head on the nearby glass display case edge) and very good food. On reflection, I wish that we'd eaten here more often. It has an attractive, local feel with half the crowd being folks who live here. You won't regret it. I am done. The end.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

This is a fun spot to hit up with tons of kitschy memorabilia and art adorning its walls to give it quite a big of character and make it very inviting. Good food too.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

This restaurant is a must visit in Rovinj. The atmosphere is great, the service excellent and the food and wine is totally delicious! We decided to have a bottle of wine, rather than just table wine, and asked our waitress for a recommendation. We were not disappointed with the choice! We had dried istrian ham and cheese with truffles to start, along with the bread and olive oil provided on the tables, it was a delicious starter. Then for a main course I had a plate of mussels and my husband had scampi risotto. It was one of the best risottos I had tasted, the fish stock that had gone into it must have been top notch. Unfortunately we were too stuffed for dessert! The waitress couldn't have been more friendly, and the bill was far from expensive for such a delicious meal. If I return to Rovinj, I will definitely return to Veli Joze!