“Disgraceful service”

Kantinon Tavern
Ranked #21 of 188 Restaurants in Rovinj
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Beautifully located in the heart of Rovinj, the tavern offers warm hospitality and a relaxed atmosphere. Your dinner will be a memorable gastronomic feast featuring authentic dishes inspired by Rovinj's rich fishing tradition.
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We went here one evening on our vacation because the food and the setting looked very pleasant. Our hopes were quite high after we were seated at a table with candlelight and a seemingly helpful waiter that spoke to us both in English and Italian. We each ordered a first and second course of fish, and then began to wait, and wait, and wait. Finally, the first course arrived, absent of my first course. We thought we would just wait longer, which ended being another twenty minutes. After trying to get the attention of our waiter for too long with no avail, we asked another waitress for our food. After waiting for a few more minutes, my food arrived, but we realized as soon as the plate was put in front of me that it was clearly incorrect. We politely asked our original waiter to take back the plate and bring the correct one, and he reluctantly did just so. Finally, I got my correct first course long after the rest of my party finished both their first and second dishes. The food I had was quite good and cheap as well. Though, my negative review is not for this service prior to receiving my dishes, but the horrible service that came after the meal was over.
We received our check and each of us paid our part according to the prices on the menu (because we couldn't quite understand the check in Croatian). We found ourselves ten dollars short, and upon searching the check, we found the mistake. Instead of charging me 70kn for the dish that I had ordered, I was charged 80kn. The difference is just about 1€ that wasn't a problem, though we thought we would try to amend the mistake. We called the waiter over and pointed out the mistake, and instead of working with us to solve the issue, he immediately grabbed a menu and very rudely told us that I had ordered spiny cockle (80kn) and not clams (70kn). Unfortunately, I and the rest of my party specifically remember me pointing on the menu to clams when I ordered my first dish, and nothing close to spiny cockle. After discussing this with our waiter, he decided to walk away from us completely. We then decided to speak with the manager, who then told us that the clams that I ate were spiny cockle, and repeatedly tried to tell us that what I ate we're spiny cockle and not clams. Though, spiny cockle is clearly a red shellfish with a spiny texture on its shell, and what I ate were quite obviously, clams. The manager proceeded to start yelling with us, as well as the waiter who then came in too, and the wife of the owner/manager (we presume). We would have hed that for the sake of good service they would have realized that they had made a mistake and would acknowledge the problem and fix the bill. Instead, the argument seemed to just escalate, when the wife of the manager began to yell at us and even have the nerve to say "who do you think you are?" when I promptly had told her that I am her paying customer. In the end, we walked away furious with the service, that never should have been that bad. We eventually got our 10kn, and could not believe what had happened. There are clearly many faults in their service and they have proven that they don't have any respect for their customer's wishes or the service they provide to their customers. Additionally, I would hope that if they are going to appeal to English speaking customers, that they amend their wrongly translated menu.

2  Thank AdamFJ

Reviewed August 8, 2012

It is a real pity!!!! The place is located perfectly on the harbor! The decoration is beautiful, old wood, withe wall, stones, old photograph..... really nice! All nice except for the food!!!!!! A sincere disaster! Wine was OK and cold, at least one think......

3  Thank Ariella_25
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Brilliantr service and authentic Istrian food, loved it!!

Reviewed May 8, 2012

Yes, lots of groups are in there! So, what?! You still can enjoy extremely fresh calamari with potatoes and served in hot pan - rural, tasty, beer or vine are at your choice as well! Great decoration is added value - nothing special but exactly what you want to see in such a place. You can use the washroom with the keys which you can get from the boss only:)

Reviewed January 19, 2012

We ate here at lunchtime and the service was very slow despite the fact that there were only a few diners. The food was average... we ordered a tuna steak and a whole fish platter. The olive oil was very good.

While the meal wasn't awful, there are MANY better options for food in this area.

2  Thank SunChaser83